• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

ReeFi LED Uno - Testing Soon

Corals.com

xxkenny90xx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Looking forward to it! I saw @danlu_gt at a frag swap a while back using a prototype Puck style light, it looked really nice. I wonder if the uno is related to that

danlu_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Looking forward to it! I saw @danlu_gt at a frag swap a while back using a prototype Puck style light, it looked really nice. I wonder if the uno is related to that
Yes, that was an early Uno prototype. Some LED layouts and sizes have changed. Development was delayed for months due to pandemic but everything is in full production now.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
I received a ReeFi Uno LED luminaire for testing. Hope to get started late Tuesday or Wednesday. Photo taken at ISO 100, f/32 and 1/4000th second.

Uno.jpg
I’ve got the other prototype. They are awesome!

Check out the copper heat pipes! They look like a muscle car under the hood!

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

danlu_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Liquid cooled?
Yes they are.
RODI water are placed inside the copper pipes then most of the air are removed before sealed. This creates below atmosphere pressure so water will boil at much lower temperature. So when LEDs heat up, water in the pipe boils to vapor phase and travels to the other end where it is cooled and condense back to liquid water phase. Then it's wicked to the hot side and repeat. Phase exchange can transfer heat much better than copper or aluminum along. These are the same cooling technology used in modern ultra thin gaming laptops and high end desktop PC.

LEDs are made from similar process as modern CPU microprocessors. Just like any IC chip, LEDs can be damaged easily from excess heat. If not properly cooled, as LED heats up the silicon substrate will have more leakage current, and more leakage current will generate more heat and so forth. When I was a microprocessor designer at Intel, we called that thermal runaway.

Haacheew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Congratz! I am SO excited of hearing Uno is finally coming out.
I can't find any Uno mounting info on the official website. What are the mounting options for Uno?

I am currently using Radion RMS G5 Adapter with xr15 G5 Pro, mounting it on diy TV swivel arm. Will Uno be able to use in the same fashion that I am using? Definitely will give Uno a try if I can keep my diy wall mounting system. Many thanks.

2020-06-29 18.52.29.jpg
2020-06-29 21.38.58.jpg
2020-06-30 17.13.42.jpg
2020-06-30 15.37.42.jpg

danlu_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Congratz! I am SO excited of hearing Uno is finally coming out.
I can't find any Uno mounting info on the official website. What are the mounting options for Uno?

I am currently using Radion RMS G5 Adapter with xr15 G5 Pro, mounting it on diy TV swivel arm. Will Uno be able to use in the same fashion that I am using? Definitely will give Uno a try if I can keep my diy wall mounting system. Many thanks.

2020-06-29 18.52.29.jpg
2020-06-29 21.38.58.jpg
2020-06-30 17.13.42.jpg
2020-06-30 15.37.42.jpg
I'm working on ReeFi Tank Mount for the Uno. Should have more info soon.

Zoanthids.com

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
RODI water are placed inside the copper pipes then most of the air are removed before sealed. This creates below atmosphere pressure so water will boil at much lower temperature. So when LEDs heat up, water in the pipe boils to vapor phase and travels to the other end where it is cooled and condense back to liquid water phase. Then it's wicked to the hot side and repeat. Phase exchange can transfer heat much better than copper or aluminum along. These are the same cooling technology used in modern ultra thin gaming laptops and high end desktop PC.

LEDs are made from similar process as modern CPU microprocessors. Just like any IC chip, LEDs can be damaged easily from excess heat. If not properly cooled, as LED heats up the silicon substrate will have more leakage current, and more leakage current will generate more heat and so forth. When I was a microprocessor designer at Intel, we called that thermal runaway.
Thanks for explaining, very cool (pun intended). These lights look great and I look forward to Dana’s review. What kind of coverage should one expect with one of these? Eight of them above a 2’ X 6’ tank?

danlu_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining, very cool (pun intended). These lights look great and I look forward to Dana’s review. What kind of coverage should one expect with one of these? Eight of them above a 2’ X 6’ tank?

ReeFi Uno also uses ReeFlectors to cut out blinding side glares. This create a 90deg spread. When mounted ~11" above the water, you get 24"x24" spread at the water surface. However, if side glares are not a concern and want even more spread, with the final production version, users have the ability to remove the ReeFlectors for 120-140deg spread.

For a 2'x6' tank, if it's going to mainly stocked with SPS. I recommend up to 8 Unos to minimize self-shadowing.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
When mounted ~11" above the water, you get 24"x24" spread at the water surface.

Wow! That’s big spread in just 11 inches. So if I mount them 11 inches above the water on my 30 inch deep tank, the spread at the bottom of my tank would have to be massive, but with low par? It would only get more diffused with the wider lenses? Am I misunderstanding?

danlu_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Wow! That’s big spread in just 11 inches. So if I mount them 11 inches above the water on my 30 inch deep tank, the spread at the bottom of my tank would have to be massive, but with low par? It would only get more diffused with the wider lenses? Am I misunderstanding?
Yes, at the bottom of 30" will be less PAR than higher up. ReeFi Duo Extreme at 100% power gets around mid to high 200s PAR at 20" below the water when mounted 9.5" above the water. I'm guessing with ReeFi Uno being 83.3% power level of the Duo Extreme, when at 100% power should get around low to mid 200s at 20". I'm waiting for my new display tank to arrive to do more detail PAR readings. With the ReeFlectors in place, you'll 90deg spread with high PAR penetration. If you remove the ReeFlectors, then you'll get 120-140deg spread but less PAR penetration.

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
I looked at the website and couldn’t find an answer... can I get away with one uno on a 36 gallon bowfront. 30” wide 20” deep, mixed reef, softie dominant. Thx

Thanks

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, another question... based on the power, spread and features, what lights are the most direct competitors?

danlu_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, another question... based on the power, spread and features, what lights are the most direct competitors?
Here's a list of LED fixtures with price and specs:

ReeFi_Uno_comparisons.jpg

The closest specs wise competition are: ReeFi Duo Extreme, Radion XR30 G5, Orphek V4 Gen2, Kessil AP9X.

However, ReeFi Uno is a game changer in that it brings top of the line specs with the most affordable price.

How vigilant are you when it comes to the TDS of your RODI water?

• It is VERY important to me

Votes: 292 63.8%
  • It is somewhat important to me

Votes: 130 28.4%
  • It is NOT important to me

Votes: 26 5.7%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 10 2.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors