OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spectral and some of the distribution patterns have been tested. I'm building a new light testing tank. The old glass tank had reflected light in the corners, thus throwing the distribution pattern off.

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie questions here. I am still setting up the tank, and have zero experience with reefing.

Planning to start with some easy coral eventually 3-6months after cycling. However, i know i don't like the blue look. I assume i can crank up the "white" light to get closer to a whiter 10k spectrum? Will this have negative impact on corals? I don't believe light spectrum cancel each other. I can still have the blue LED on. I read that whiter light spectrum may encourage more algae growth? Is this urban legend or based on science?

2x Reefi Uno for a 55g DT is likely overkill for the next a couple of years, especially for beginner corals. I was deciding AI Prime or Uno, and went with Uno. Like the support the little guys and i may outgrow 2 prime but unlikely with Uno.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie questions here. I am still setting up the tank, and have zero experience with reefing.

Planning to start with some easy coral eventually 3-6months after cycling. However, i know i don't like the blue look. I assume i can crank up the "white" light to get closer to a whiter 10k spectrum? Will this have negative impact on corals? I don't believe light spectrum cancel each other. I can still have the blue LED on. I read that whiter light spectrum may encourage more algae growth? Is this urban legend or based on science?

2x Reefi Uno for a 55g DT is likely overkill for the next a couple of years, especially for beginner corals. I was deciding AI Prime or Uno, and went with Uno. Like the support the little guys and i may outgrow 2 prime but unlikely with Uno.
I think you made the right call on the lights. The Uno are way more powerful and will give you plenty of room to go higher par if you want it later. I have the AI 26HD on my current tank and the spread is somewhat narrow too so I think you would have found 2 primes not giving enough coverage for a 55g tank.

With respect to spectrum yes for the most part you tune the uv,violet, and blues for the corals and then add in some white and other color to get the lighting you like to look at. The white will add par too so you probably have to go a little lighter on the other channels to get the end par you are looking for. You could contact Daniel directly about the look you want to have while still maintaining proper light levels for the corals. I am sure he could give you a baseline on settings.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your question intrigued me and I went into the lab for a few hours to get some answers for you. I used a PAR meter to determine PAR (or correctly PPFD), a Seneye to estimate Kelvin, an Ocean Optics spectrometer and proprietary software for spectral analyses, and a Kill-A-Watt meter to measure power consumption. To make a long story short, it is quite possible to create a light with an approximate 10,000K rating. Many roads lead to Rome when attempting to spectral tune lighting, but these setting on the Uno achieved 10,617K:
Cool White, Warm White, Amber and Lime all at 100%; Blue @15%; Royal Blue @ 36%; Violet and 420nm #18%; 400nm @ 21%. Visually, the light was a crisp white light. The luminaire was 6.75" above the PAR sensor and at this setting produced a PAR measurement peaking at 1,000 microMol/m2/sec (at full power on all channels, PAR peaked at 4,000 microMol/m2/sec - about twice sunlight intensity at noon on a clear day.) At the referenced settings, red light was about 18% of the total - just a tad higher than I prefer, but acceptable. Instead on focusing on whether red light promotes unwanted algal growths, I think we should look at the impact of red light on corals' zooxanthellae. Red light is known to regulate zooxanthellae cell density and/or chlorophyll content (hence my preference to minimize red radiation.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing I noticed - no matter how many LEDs were on (1 Warm White or 10 Royal Blues), the light distribution pattern was always 18" in diameter. Of course, the light intensity was different but the distribution was always the same - a testament to color mixing of the Uno's ReeFlectors.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some get a little aggravated with me if I don't respond to their posts. The reason is simple - getting an answer to a single question can take hours of work in the lab. While gathering data for you, I realized the possibility of another experiment. It never ends. LOL.

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your question intrigued me and I went into the lab for a few hours to get some answers for you. I used a PAR meter to determine PAR (or correctly PPFD), a Seneye to estimate Kelvin, an Ocean Optics spectrometer and proprietary software for spectral analyses, and a Kill-A-Watt meter to measure power consumption. To make a long story short, it is quite possible to create a light with an approximate 10,000K rating. Many roads lead to Rome when attempting to spectral tune lighting, but these setting on the Uno achieved 10,617K:
Cool White, Warm White, Amber and Lime all at 100%; Blue @15%; Royal Blue @ 36%; Violet and 420nm #18%; 400nm @ 21%. Visually, the light was a crisp white light. The luminaire was 6.75" above the PAR sensor and at this setting produced a PAR measurement peaking at 1,000 microMol/m2/sec (at full power on all channels, PAR peaked at 4,000 microMol/m2/sec - about twice sunlight intensity at noon on a clear day.) At the referenced settings, red light was about 18% of the total - just a tad higher than I prefer, but acceptable. Instead on focusing on whether red light promotes unwanted algal growths, I think we should look at the impact of red light on corals' zooxanthellae. Red light is known to regulate zooxanthellae cell density and/or chlorophyll content (hence my preference to minimize red radiation.)
Really appreciate your response Dana. I don't think i need that high PAR (2x sunlight intensity at noon!) but its really nice to know the light is capable.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some get a little aggravated with me if I don't respond to their posts. The reason is simple - getting an answer to a single question can take hours of work in the lab. While gathering data for you, I realized the possibility of another experiment. It never ends. LOL.
I can't wait to see your results, Dana.

I am the other lucky beta tester, and I am running the other pre-production Uno prototype over one of my tanks. I have been blown away by the power of these lights, their coverage, the blending, and the way they make the colors on my corals pop. I think I may like the Uno even more than I like the Duo Extreme, which is my previous favorite light.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am the other lucky beta tester, and I am running the other pre-production Uno prototype over one of my tanks. I have been blown away by the power of these lights, their coverage, the blending, and the way they make the colors on my corals pop. I think I may like the Uno even more than I like the Duo Extreme, which is my previous favorite light.
Sweet! Glad to hear. With the increase power for a single set and the quad leds and reduction in whites etc. They are very different than a single duo extreme puck! Can't wait to get the new DT going with these babies.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As usual, I'm weeks behind on testing. The 90-gallon tank I used
presented some problems - mostly reflected light that didn't accurately show light distribution patterns. Hence, I'm building platforms to fit within a 100-gallon RubberMaid tub. It's almost complete and I hope to begin testing soon.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my ReeFi Uno prototype:

j1hYfSt.jpg

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is the Uno above the water surface? I was going to mount mine at ~10", per Daniel.
I mounted mine a little high because I made a miscalculation when I ordered the 2040 aluminum. It is about 12.5 inches above the water in this picture. When I put them over my sps I will go for 10 or 11 inches.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mounted mine a little high because I made a miscalculation when I ordered the 2040 aluminum. It is about 12.5 inches above the water in this picture. When I put them over my sps I will go for 10 or 11 inches.
OK - thanks!

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a Red Sea 170, so roughly 22 x 22 inches. The Uno will be plenty for a 26 gallon tank. :)

Thanks, Daniel said the same.

I was thinking to supplement with a 24” LED bar for par and shadowing. Necessary or overkill? It’ll be mixed reef, softie dominant, drop off style, so half will be pretty shallow

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back