75 gallon + 25 gallon lagoon frag system

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get ready its a long story,
About a month ago now we got some heavy rain and my sump pump in my basement failed and I had about an inch of water at my feet when I got out of bed. I ran to the tanks to see if one had leaked, but everything looked fine. I had to rip up all of the damaged linoleum wood flooring and replace with vinyl waterproof plank flooring. This was a difficult task being I had a 75gallon plumbed through the wall to a room behind to a 30 gallon sump which also fed to a 45gallon breeder tank I was using as a frag/shallow soft/lps tank. This 150 gallon system had to be moved in order to lay down with new flooring. Luckily I plumbed the systems so I could shut off flow to one system and move one system at a time. I emptied the 75 gallon which was filled with corals and fish all to the 45 gallon breeder. I sold about half the corals and fish to my LFS. I then could move the empty 75 tank and stand to a newly finished room. I moved the fish and corals again to that 75 gallon so I could move the 45 gallon stand and sump out of the room to redo that flooring. I finished that room and moved back the 45 gallon and then fish and corals back to the 45 gallon with the sump now running everything again. This all took about 2 weeks of fish and coral moving around from tank to tank and not plumbed to a sump. I still had a heater, MP10, and two tunzes moving water around with an air hose feeding oxygen. All the fish survived the moves and I've lost two sps corals so far, basically from falling down into a large lobophyllia coral which tried to eat them. The 45 gallon is packed full of corals and a few rocks that corals have encrusted nicely on I want to keep. The sump just had my protein skimmer and heater in now. One thing i've learned so far through all of this is corals and fish though fragile, are still very resilient. Most corals still are holding color and are healthy. The only issue i'm having is not enough room for everyone to extend polyps and they are stinging each other.

So the new setup idea now, First I thought i'd trade in my old 75gallon reef for a new 75gallon rimless from Seapora. My old tank i've had for about 7 years and has some scratches on it from magnetic frag racks, and I want the look of a rimless tank. I have enough store credit from the coral trade-ins to get it for pretty much for free. As for a frag tank I bought a Innovative marine 25 EXT overflow. This will replace the 45 gallon breeder I had before. I had the 45 gallon and sump in a small what we use as a pantry room and salt creep and dusty residue from all the salt and chemicals I use was on all of the appliances we stored in there. I want to avoid this and keep everything out into the living room away from food, crockpots, storage containers ect. My thought is to place the new 75gallon Rimless and 25 gallon lagoon next to each other in the living room where I had my old display.

Now for the cabinet options. My LFS has a wood worker that makes all of their stands and could make a custom stand to fit both tanks on one stand, 78Lx20Wx36H inches. The 75gallon tank is 48x18x20 and 25lagoon is 24x20x12. So the stand has to be at least 20 wide for the lagoon and I figured 78"long to give me some breathing room between tanks. This option is pretty expensive being custom made and I'm waiting on a quote from another LFS in metal or wood stand. The other option of course is to do two separate stands for each tank, but still place them next to each other. The tanks will be plumbed together to my 30gallon sump underneath the 75 in either option. One pro for one large stand is I could use this stand again for a much larger tank in the future. One problem with that is most tanks that large would be 24inches wide, so I may need make the stand that wide now to be ready. That might look weird with a 18inch wide tank on it for years. The options of two separate stands would be cheapest I think and easy to work with getting into the basement not carrying a 78inch stand down the stairs. I'm still very undecided and waiting on pricing for options, but would love to hear some input on which way to go about this.

Here is how the 75 gallon display was looking right before the flood.
0NWRhH3eQb6DugthF3v3dw.jpg

cHTsoTkfQMmZkaCAhPAQxg.jpg
hiQjm0awRJuqgKDGU7Fp3A.jpg

I'll post in a later thread parameters, equipment, and schedule of what I was using. Most equipment will be the same, other than a few upgrades.:)

Heres some flood damage in the bedroom and moving tanks around.
3TGP6uXoQsSGWV7Q1nWQdQ.jpg

iuEzeSl6QtO1H08oytBECg.jpg

Moved everything into the 45 gallon from the 75 to move tank and stand out to redo flooring.
FjNWuL7kSPi7eydGAANOEA.jpg

4Pumv1rvQtOYS3vKNscelQ.jpg

I moved everything from the 45 gallon back into the 75 gallon that was in the finished bedroom.
63ywuxhLQZyF4l%ARRzWQg.jpg

Everything back into the 45gallon waiting for the dust to settle. Again these corals and fish are resilient.
g1vMqMahRFydfuPOhjSISQ.jpg

Everything has been settling in nicely and just waiting to start the new setup. Thanks for following along and I'll keep you updated and will answer any questions you may have. Thank you.

MI Reefer

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for sharing this extensive introduction! I hate to hear about the leak, but you definitely have taken lemons and made lemonade - this sounds like this will be an exciting process! About the stand, is it possible to make an interlocking stand that when the secondary stand is added it looks like it was meant to be there, but the main system doesn't look like anything is missing if the frag stand isn't set up initially?

OP
OP
Michigan Reefer

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing this extensive introduction! I hate to hear about the leak, but you definitely have taken lemons and made lemonade - this sounds like this will be an exciting process! About the stand, is it possible to make an interlocking stand that when the secondary stand is added it looks like it was meant to be there, but the main system doesn't look like anything is missing if the frag stand isn't set up initially?
Thanks for responding. Yes, that would be ideal if I could get some kind of interlocking stands. I know the wood worker usually sticks to default stands and is a little hesitant to make even a custom dimension stands, so asking to do some kind of interlocking system might be a stretch. After more thought about a large 78x20x36 inch stand, that limits me to only 20"wide aquariums. I think i'd appreciate a 24" wide tank eventually.

OP
OP
Michigan Reefer

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've taken out most of the old rock that was covered with aiptasia and vermetid snails, so i soaked them in bleach for a couple days then rinsed, soaked in water, let dry, rinsed again, soak in water, then let sit out to dry for days. Now i've put them in a tote with saltwater, a heater, pump, and marine pure bio spheres from my system that's still running. I've put five gallons of tank water also to start curing the newly dried rock. I've also been feeding reefroids and small pellets to keep the bacteria happy. I have a refugium kessil hydro light not being used, should I shine that over this for any reason?

OgT3HkZTTKS%XCmw8AkCrQ.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back