75 Gallon Build

anew2thereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,

I have a two real quick questions...

I recently bought a 75 gallon tank from Petco.. checked to make sure can be drilled... and fortunately it can be, the only issue I’m having before I do it is..

Could I use a old 10 gallon tank I have in my garage to make the sump outta of it..? Or would that would not be recommended...

2. I would love the drill the overflow box on one side the tank and drill the return right next to it, and gyre on the other side of the tank pushing all the water back to the overflow box... or drill the return on one end of the tank and the overflow box on the other end.. I added a picture to give you guys of an idea what I have in mind.

Thanks,
Ariel

C35AD3A5-43D9-4EF9-A32C-DA0F939F6027.jpeg

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see why a 10g sump wouldn't be ok to use. Might be a little small but you could always upgrade later. Drilling your holes there seems fine also.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice buy! I bought the same one with the stand 1 month ago ;)

I can't go the sump rought due to other animal activity in the house ( ferrets can and will get into anything if they have the opportunity ).

So out of great envy I will be watching and learning for when I can have a sump hahah

From what I've researched if you can go bigger do it. ;)

Good luck I'm sure you'll find the right stuff!

OP
OP
A

anew2thereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve should’ve said three questions...lol! But what would you guys recommend as the return coming back into the tank..? 1/2 inch pipe or 3/4 inch... also for the sump I will be adding a check valve... so whatever sump I build not to much water can get filled up back to the sump..

Thanks again ,
Ariel

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back