75 Gallon Mixed Reef

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic from day 1... in early Dec. I'll post more later with Equipment list, etc.

clear-water-box-of-rox.jpg

ctxmonitor

My Reef Creation
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, very clean setup.. whos the builder of it? look like starfire glass too.. ;)

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Looking forward to seeing the details and your progress.

-Mike and Terry

huuta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sure is purdy.what r your plan for stock?mix,sps.goona tag along to see how awsome this turns out

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about 3 months old. I started building it last year. Not much in it yet. So far things seem to be fairly stable. Been through a diatom bloom and GHA bloom for a short bit. Had a bit of some cyano but at this point I'm blaming that on some Vitamin C I was dosing started to show up about 2 weeks after I started. Was a freebie so I've cut that out. I don't really see the need for it and its not something I can really test for. So far I've added 2 juvie tank raised ocellaris clowns they've been in the Since early Feb along with some Pink Elephant palys, a bi-color frogspawn, and a CUC. Water parameters salinity 1.026, pH ranges between 8.0 and 8.3, NH4 0, NO2 0, NO3 0, PO4 0.01, Alk 170 - 180, Ca 420 - 450, and Mg seems to always be around 1500. I'm dosing 2 part with Alk hourly and Ca every 2 hrs. The tank is a Deep Blue Edge 75 with low iron glass on 3 sides. The rock is Marco dry rock. I was fortunate enough to not have to go through the usual headache of PO4 with these but I do run GFO in my reactor to maintain the 0.01. I use Salifert for everything but NH4, Ca, Mg, and Alk. The latter 3 are tested with Hanna checkers.

Equipment list:
Reef Octopus NWB160 skimmer
Reef Octopus MF-1000 media reactor
2 Ecotech MP-10ESW running in anti-sync mode nutrient transport mode
Finnex Titanium heater
DIY 20 gallon long sump
Eheim 1260 return pump
2 BRS dosing pumps
Elos digital ATO
Reefkeep Lite L3 controller
Tek 6 bulb fixture with ATI bulbs ( 3 Blue+, 1 Purple+, 1 Aquablue Special, 1 ATI True Actinic) - I plan to swap that AB out for a KZ New Gen.

So far the rock seems to be coloring up nicely since the addition of the 2 part to keep up with the demand from the coralline algae. This was taked under natural light
before the lights came on.
DSC00200-1.jpg

Pink Elephants
DSC00201.jpg

One of the clowns
DSC00106.jpg

And my messy cabinet
cabinet.jpg

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a couple of new pieces for the tank.

Picked up this scoly. It looks nice in the pic, but way better in person.
DSC00251.jpg

Also picked up these micros.
DSC00250-1.jpg

and this platygyra...
DSC00249.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Umm sweet tank!

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
feh, what hanging kit did you use for your lights? I have been trying to decide how I am going to hang my T-5's.

Its the single point Tek hanging kit. Its hung on painted 3/4" conduit. Reason I chose the Tek fixture over an ATI was the black color. The ATI fixtures do put out more light though.

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few more pics.
DSC00280.jpg

I think the platy is recovering much better than I thought. Think I might cut that piece of flesh off on the bottom left of the plug.
DSC00285.jpg

Took this just before feeding last night. I'm wondering if I should cut those zoas off though.
DSC00293.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got several new pieces of eye candy today from JKR from the live sale. At this point I think I'm going to concentrate more on getting some fish and shrimp in the tank. Righ now I still only have the two clowns. I've been looking for a nice goby but still haven't made my mind up. Stopped by the LFS today and they had a Yasha / tiger pistol pair, but wasn't up for acclimating them so I didn't pick them up. Plus I still haven't decided on what kind of goby I really want. Not to mention I've been looking into the possibility of a blennie. I spent close to an hour watching a nice bicolor blenny they had while I was there. Being such a small tank its hard to make decisions on fish.

Anyway here's a couple pics of a few of the frags I picked up. Battery died on the camera so I wasn't able to get clear shots of every thing. I'll try to get more later.

Goochsters and Sunny Ds. I had been drooling over these for a couple of months but tank wasn't setup yet.
DSC00323.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

Convict - this looks really nice in person. I can't wait to see it grown out to a couple inches in size.

DSC00322.jpg

Solar flare favia
DSC00321.jpg

At some point I'm hoping to pick up some really sick acans and blastos, but in the mean time I'm going to give things time to grow some and work on getting some nice fish added. I'll get some more pis up of the other corals I picked up from the sale later.

Last edited:
Back