75 Gallon technology heavy tank with DIY

Finally got most of the dosing squared away.

Moved the Ammonium Bi-Carb to the Sentia doser.
IMG_8948.JPG


And replaced all the little motor tubing on the GHL doser (its going to be ready for Calcium and Mag to be added).
IMG_8951.JPG


Also added the third container (for the Magnesium), will still have to run the tubing for those.
IMG_8947.JPG


And how we're looking with all the containers and dosers finally installed.
IMG_8950.JPG


Still on the to do list: mix up new batches of Alk, Calc, and Mag, run tubing for Calc and Mag and calibrate doser heads. Hook up and calibrate Easy Booster 25.
 
Another one of the small "upgrades" for the tank was to convert from my DIY filter pads to a filter media cup with loose filter floss. My DIY design worked mostly well and polished the water VERY well. One of the issues though was that the water level in the sump would sit a few inches below the filter pad and as it would make its way through, it would make a splashing/dripping sound while falling, so I put in a coarse plastic filter sponge to work as a spill baffle. This worked great, except when I upgraded to a larger skimmer and moved it into the first chamber where either the bubbles or the back pressure of the water would cause it to not flow as well and back up and over the emergency overflow after only a few days. The filter pad would have been still mostly clean, and when you move it, a bunch of trapped air would come out.

I thought that a filter media cup would work better since it would sit lower and not cause the air to get trapped. However, since I had a Trigger systems sump, it has an oval sock opening. Recently, they made an adapter that still fits the sump and the filter media cups. Well its just a simple acrylic piece with a 3.5 inch diameter hole.

Went to my local plastics shop and had them make one for cheaper!
IMG_8929.JPG


And the rest of the parts
IMG_8930.JPG


One of the complaints in the reviews was that the filter media cup would fit too loose in a standard 4 inch sock hole... but since this one was only 3.5 inches, it was a perfect fit.
IMG_8931.JPG


Right when it was all installed, I had my doubts on whether this would work better, as the water level would sit juuust below the emergency level, even with brand new filter floss.
IMG_8933.JPG


By the following morning, the filter floss was dirty enough that it caused the water to come over the top of the emergency line (same as my filter pad, but even sooner)
IMG_8945.JPG


So we're back to square one... looks like I would have to adjust the flow to even less than my current 3x (which I dont think I want to) or figure out how to load the filter media differently. Also, while thinking about my old design, I realized that the filter pad I had was a bit tighter and could have been causing the air and debris to get trapped. Maybe one that is more open would work better... After all, its only there to stop water noise and not to actually filter... so a new filter pad was ordered. I will test a fe more versions out and see which works best.
 
After the last FTS, had a bit of a rough patch with the tank. The next morning after that picture was taken, a part of the large bi-color hammer colony closed up seemingly out of nowhere. Mind you, this was only part of it, and not the entire thing.
545523F7-421D-4EA4-84D5-F92785150233_1_105_c.jpeg


Tested the parameters and all were in the same range as previously, so no drastic changes there. One possible culprit has been that the Mac N Cheese torch has been getting pretty long compared to when I first got it and has started to hit the duncan (I had already previously moved it once) and seemed to be bugging it. In the past, this didnt really cause any impact, but since these are upstream from the hammer, I though maybe that was the cause. In either case, I should have moved it away anyways.
40CCD5C0-EF30-4F42-BB8E-82F0F0FCED0C_1_105_c.jpeg


You can see there's plenty of room now
IMG_9091.jpg


I also tossed in some activated charcoal in the reactor just in case. Fast forward a few days now and the hammer is still not its usual 100%, but the heads seem to be opening a bit more, so I'll continue to monitor.

BUT THE WORST NEWS is that yesterday, my purple fire fish passed away. Unfortunately she has been notoriously difficult to photograph, but I was able to photograph her in her last few hours as she sat on the sand.

97736961-C703-4C11-9EBF-EE26E4F23990_1_105_c.jpeg


I first got this gal back in October 2018, so based on that I estimate that she was roughly 6.5 to 7 years old. I hope that it was just her time and she died of natural causes... she was absolutely the longest living fire fish I have ever owned. RIP
 
Another day, another small DIY project... My RODI/Mixing station is in the garage, and I do enough projects in there that the light from the open garage door seemed to have caused algae to grow on the inside of the canisters.

First small upgrade was to add a shut off valve closer to the RODI unit so I dont have to climb behind my washer and dryer to shut off the water any time I need to do any maintenance on the filters.
13289583-B040-4E40-889F-6F3718956C51_1_105_c.jpeg


Here is the issue I am trying to resolve (algae in the last canister).
1BA7278C-DBEC-4BA0-B65F-ED0099922C14_1_105_c.jpeg


I first tried to look online for various sleeves or bags that could possibly fit to be used as a cover, but wasnt able to find anything that fit well enough to my liking. My dad offered to help make one to size.

Laying out the material and making a template
A2E0C952-96BB-486E-AE68-78B33290DE9A_1_105_c.jpeg


Then some sewing
EC4DF36F-EF13-4DF0-8401-62ED095BBE43_1_105_c.jpeg
98F4538E-F1B9-4F90-9138-D1FF28D25210_1_105_c.jpeg
990BF50F-2731-4C4C-9EF4-B042CF728DFB_1_105_c.jpeg


One of the changes I made was to add a thick piece of duct tape to the inside of the seam to prevent more light spill and to keep the stitching from coming loose (just in case).
2B911E6A-F92B-4B45-8811-B7C01177B79A_1_105_c.jpeg

4C2AFF46-17DA-4F16-8936-47A5D3106D0A_1_105_c.jpeg


Then cleaned the canisters and replaced the filters
8B77311F-BE21-42EA-BC72-B74F5175E8DD_1_105_c.jpeg



And how it looks with the "shade sleeve" on
C446CF36-AD0A-4246-AD60-219DF330C8E0_1_105_c.jpeg
 
Another day, another small DIY project... My RODI/Mixing station is in the garage, and I do enough projects in there that the light from the open garage door seemed to have caused algae to grow on the inside of the canisters.

First small upgrade was to add a shut off valve closer to the RODI unit so I dont have to climb behind my washer and dryer to shut off the water any time I need to do any maintenance on the filters.
13289583-B040-4E40-889F-6F3718956C51_1_105_c.jpeg


Here is the issue I am trying to resolve (algae in the last canister).
1BA7278C-DBEC-4BA0-B65F-ED0099922C14_1_105_c.jpeg


I first tried to look online for various sleeves or bags that could possibly fit to be used as a cover, but wasnt able to find anything that fit well enough to my liking. My dad offered to help make one to size.

Laying out the material and making a template
A2E0C952-96BB-486E-AE68-78B33290DE9A_1_105_c.jpeg


Then some sewing
EC4DF36F-EF13-4DF0-8401-62ED095BBE43_1_105_c.jpeg
98F4538E-F1B9-4F90-9138-D1FF28D25210_1_105_c.jpeg
990BF50F-2731-4C4C-9EF4-B042CF728DFB_1_105_c.jpeg


One of the changes I made was to add a thick piece of duct tape to the inside of the seam to prevent more light spill and to keep the stitching from coming loose (just in case).
2B911E6A-F92B-4B45-8811-B7C01177B79A_1_105_c.jpeg

4C2AFF46-17DA-4F16-8936-47A5D3106D0A_1_105_c.jpeg


Then cleaned the canisters and replaced the filters
8B77311F-BE21-42EA-BC72-B74F5175E8DD_1_105_c.jpeg



And how it looks with the "shade sleeve" on
C446CF36-AD0A-4246-AD60-219DF330C8E0_1_105_c.jpeg
Nice solution. I’ve never seen that particular problem before. I’m pretty much a pro at growing nuisance algae but never inside my RODI canisters, lol.
 
Nice solution. I’ve never seen that particular problem before. I’m pretty much a pro at growing nuisance algae but never inside my RODI canisters, lol.

Yeah, Im not sure how or why it happened as I ran my RODI there for about 3+ years and it only happened once. As you've seen from my earlier posts, I am also a pro at nuisance algae propagation :face-with-tears-of-joy:
 
Having had a small holiday vacation, I decided to tackler a few smaller items on my tank to-do list.

First and foremost, I finally hooked up the Reef Easy to the new doser.
3C5F686D-67BC-4444-903B-DAE5FC33E1F8_1_105_c.jpeg

2A85D0C2-3E04-41CE-B06E-80A4B3ABEB72_1_105_c.jpeg

It looks like any other phyto but a bit thicker consistency.

Next it was time to clean the t5 reflectors and change out the blubs.
37F1C02B-5CD7-4186-83FA-0CF26D1B2A32_1_105_c.jpeg

Quite a lot of salt creep and splash marks on the reflectors

After being cleaned its looking much better, but some tarnishing is permanent. I should really clean these a bit more often.
BBA950B9-C946-46F7-973C-C80B8B0CB71D_1_105_c.jpeg


The bulbs had a bunch of saltcreep as well
DEB58390-70C5-4FF7-B369-0A4BEF0CA9EE_1_105_c.jpeg


Then I decided to replace my mp40 guards with the Neat Aquatics wide flow ones. They are "bulkier" than my current ones, but should make the flow more evenly spread throughout the tank. Also, the little visor on my current version prevented me from cleaning parts very close to the glass.
39723DAD-ABCB-43AA-8E1B-8C9AAB343F05_1_105_c.jpeg


Example of coaline algae that would grow behind the visor
IMG_9170.JPG


New covers installed on the tank
283BA6D6-65EB-400A-AB1C-827B8743BDEF_1_105_c.jpeg


Then did a quick clean of the skimmer and put my new grabby tool I got for the holidays as a present
4FCC18D6-9CA7-43E3-BC32-2BDE69DFFBA6_1_105_c.jpeg


Finally, the most updated FTS
877A6A22-9750-4551-9297-15018FF5F283_1_105_c.jpeg
 
Another task that I've been putting off for a while is fragging the large weeping willow toadstool. I had it in the back corner, hoping that it would sit there, however, it grew a very long foot to reach the light and got pretty large in the process. I didnt like how it looked from that side of the tank and the fact that it shaded a ton of that area (in addition to touching corals on the top of the rockwork).

Here it was pre fragging
20B9769A-ED7C-40E4-82CC-CD25394906B2_1_105_c.jpeg

8D7A6A60-227A-42F5-B2A1-B02819E603D9_1_105_c.jpeg


Being that Im lazy, I wanted to just put some frag tiles into a box to just toss in all the fragged pieces and let them attach on their own
FB336B7D-2BD9-4149-95B7-8301B6B1913A_1_105_c.jpeg


And how it looked post fragging
FDA980A0-6798-4F1D-99C7-D36AF1298E26_1_105_c.jpeg


The next few days the frags only started to look worse, either because there was not enough flow or they just didnt like attaching to the tiles without additional help... In hindsight, I should have just added a bunch of rubble.

However, now the frags were starting to melt and fouling the water/ticking off other corals. So I busted out my fishing line, needle, and glue. And I attached all the frags to the tiles with fishing line. This was an annoying task since the frags were slightly falling apart.
5B771908-26B1-4218-AC6A-4C4726A64B02_1_105_c.jpeg

77A94CCE-89DB-4D30-B532-A28740BF5297_1_105_c.jpeg


That being said, the frags are now making a recovery, and starting to look a lot better with pretty good polyp extension.

33778CA3-4E4E-4A9E-9695-86D80E600704_1_105_c.jpeg

9434D711-A9C3-473B-91F5-B82A7CCB96CA_1_105_c.jpeg
 
Frags continued to improve and attach to their plugs, and now its looking a bit like a grassy field!
47974B4F-B185-4B16-8DEB-B192CC3E2D23_1_105_c.jpeg

AFF1AEEF-1904-4797-B0EE-D5EB2CEF2AF5_1_105_c.jpeg


Not too long ago, visited a buddy who owns an aquarium shop and picked up a few cool pieces from him.
91702F7F-FE74-4854-9A16-0061272340C2_1_105_c.jpeg

A752FB77-DC26-48E7-ACF4-BB5295282607_1_105_c.jpeg

7A76BAA7-3701-4469-9D9C-BB5005E8B36C_1_105_c.jpeg


And with the large weeping willow gone, the back corner was freed up to add a little goni garden (on a magnetic rock).
95286A80-946B-40A8-B54A-4E27FC493AD1_1_105_c.jpeg

(there is still space to add 2 more in the future).
 
Frags continued to improve and attach to their plugs, and now its looking a bit like a grassy field!
47974B4F-B185-4B16-8DEB-B192CC3E2D23_1_105_c.jpeg

AFF1AEEF-1904-4797-B0EE-D5EB2CEF2AF5_1_105_c.jpeg


Not too long ago, visited a buddy who owns an aquarium shop and picked up a few cool pieces from him.
91702F7F-FE74-4854-9A16-0061272340C2_1_105_c.jpeg

A752FB77-DC26-48E7-ACF4-BB5295282607_1_105_c.jpeg

7A76BAA7-3701-4469-9D9C-BB5005E8B36C_1_105_c.jpeg


And with the large weeping willow gone, the back corner was freed up to add a little goni garden (on a magnetic rock).
95286A80-946B-40A8-B54A-4E27FC493AD1_1_105_c.jpeg

(there is still space to add 2 more in the future).
Wish I was closer, I'd take one of those weeping willows off your hands. Love those.
 
Wish I was closer, I'd take one of those weeping willows off your hands. Love those.
My buddy owns an LFS here in socal, with a webshop. I've stuck a frag into his shipment before when someone made an order. It may be possible, if you find anything you like at his shop and want to buy some. Would just have to coordinate so I can bring the frag to him ahead of time. Can talk in PM if you want.
 
My buddy owns an LFS here in socal, with a webshop. I've stuck a frag into his shipment before when someone made an order. It may be possible, if you find anything you like at his shop and want to buy some. Would just have to coordinate so I can bring the frag to him ahead of time. Can talk in PM if you want.
I'll PM you. Thanks
 
With less equipment upgrades and the GHA battle behind me... I figured I would showcase more of the inhabitants of the tank, starting with the fish. Here are all but 1 fish that are currently in the tank (the last one is a Yellow Assessor who hides behind the overflow and very hard to capture on camera)

Astro (Starry Blenny)
11D713BD-DCEC-41F9-B2EA-78C984E20627_1_105_c.jpeg


Orion (Blue Star Leopard Wrasse)
4460B012-D96F-4458-8BAE-D5BFE935180D_1_105_c.jpeg


Finn (Mocha Storm Clownfish)
6B6DE24E-49F1-44B7-85E2-6EC3CBC96084_1_105_c.jpeg


Apollo (Radiant Wrasse)
7FD88BDB-C14C-46C5-A5B2-B2600C03FDF6_1_105_c.jpeg


Eros (Whitetail Bristletooth Tang)
88CAA458-722C-4B9D-9D21-B259CB0C59E1_1_105_c.jpeg


Bandit (Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse)
9B2035E4-FFA5-4F38-B3B7-B285D690669E_1_105_c.jpeg


Poseidon aka Bluey (Springerii Damsel)
A4C97B05-BDB5-425E-A0FD-F302E046160D_1_105_c.jpeg


Lelantus (Yellow Assessor)
IMG_9575 2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Not much in the way of updates, as the tank just continues to run without many changes.

Recently did pick up a frag of this Echinata
E3E96129-1286-4A84-9FA7-9335B13C7813_1_105_c.jpeg


And while we're at it, lets get some updated FTS
494DD5B3-AB30-4543-B5C7-D5ACE8C78626_1_105_c.jpeg

06CC972F-E48D-46AA-B5EB-C089BB1F6AD1_1_105_c.jpeg

C2ECBAFD-4CE8-4A02-B6E9-8CF3B1695800_1_105_c.jpeg

0309A872-4BDF-43BB-A58C-AEDD8DD852D5_1_105_c.jpeg


And for fun... this hammer "alley"
34118E54-07F5-466E-A6DF-3B6D65015A89_1_105_c.jpeg


Yet I am still most obsessed with just how highlighter green this goni is... it just glows in the tank insanely bright
DABE4E4A-CC06-48F5-AAFE-E1D8D930308B_1_105_c.jpeg
 
Major pick up yesterday! Slowly building up my fancy mushroom collection...

Previously I had JBs, Magic Carpets, OG Bounces, and a deepwater yuma. All but the JB's I lost in various tank moves.

On Saturday I picked up a tiny babies of the OG and Powerball bounces. Adding to the JBs I already had and a more recent Magic Carpet pick up, that brings my fancy mushroom collection back to previous levels. Hoping for some quick growth on these!
IMG_9749.jpg


OG Bounce
IMG_9747.jpg


Powerball Bounce
IMG_9748.jpg
 
Update on the OG bounce... unfortunately it suddenly began to melt away from the center (mouth) area and isnt looking too hot. Not sure if it'll make it or will fully melt away as its currently more of a donut shape with a bit of foot and skirt left.

6DE52397-C1CA-4431-B05E-EE384B123EC8_1_105_c.jpeg


Outside of that, over the past week I have gone pretty heavy into SPS.

First, I picked up a frag of a Bill Murray SPS
2543B25C-1D17-4DAD-8331-70D3820A5FDE_1_105_c.jpeg


Then the following day I came back to the person and picked up large chunks of Vivid Grafted Setoa and and Undata Monti's (the undata at this persons house grew in vertical pillars intstead of plating flat, so hopefully that will stay the same with these frags)
8D165335-22CC-46E9-BC14-45A04BB7F0D8_1_105_c.jpeg


Then yesterday, I picked up another small pack of SPS that has an SBB Blue Bee, an Oregon Tort, and a CB Maleficent.
DA0E86F3-9395-4CDF-A725-F7CB23D18780_1_105_c.jpeg


Some close ups of the SPS on the top ridge of the rockwork
F5E39BE7-E7AB-4CE9-8CF8-FCD855A6B07D_1_105_c.jpeg

CEB9665D-9FE6-41A6-9942-5B751FC61CDF_1_105_c.jpeg

E8AE5CBF-8F4A-4E56-8BE8-09C2CFDD74BE_1_105_c.jpeg


And a full tank shot
987E6BD1-A2C9-43E3-B37F-EAA1189C34C1_1_105_c.jpeg


Along with the small SPS pack at the end, I also grabbed a frag of Z's Cotton Candy Goni to add to the "goni garden" but havent been able to get a good pic yet since its not opened up before the lights went out. Will do an updated pic later of that one.
 
Another update on the OG Bounce... took a better look at it, and at the center there was a sand grain where the mouth used to be. Not sure if it just landed there after the fact or the mushroom tried to eat it and caused it to die off. Unfortunately, it continues to melt away from the center. It is still hanging on, but not sure if it'll recover.
6489ADD6-85FB-4369-901B-B658D7AD575B_1_105_c.jpeg


On a nicer note, I took some "glowy" blue pics of the tank and various corals, so figured I would show them off.
1925BF6B-773D-4C1B-9FE3-303058F568E0_1_105_c.jpeg
E3EDEC7E-2374-4960-8724-AC3FB35026CF_1_105_c.jpeg
880CB94F-7F81-4FC9-B4DB-DE1C701090A3_1_105_c.jpeg
082D5F0D-80E3-4861-AD84-29849EA94D66_1_105_c.jpeg
660C5043-B43D-4466-9EEE-D51EF7F1BBA4_1_105_c.jpeg
2DBEA1B3-41A1-4E8B-9D22-DADB6FB91BD9_1_105_c.jpeg
40935709-4E92-4C0E-B91C-0C9F668FCAE1_1_105_c.jpeg
ADD86DF6-1D1E-4328-BC89-DDF3321F95A0_1_105_c.jpeg
33340B8B-6C66-4BE9-9BEB-80247D2D2E26_1_105_c.jpeg
7B1198C6-C897-46FF-A054-6F0EEEC3A468_1_105_c.jpeg
B0453722-E5CD-433D-91E1-DFBFA693309E_1_105_c.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new