75G build for a beginner.

Archie1219

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted to have a nice saltwater aquarium but have never really acted on that desire. About 2-3 weeks ago I was board at work and decide now is the time. In the few days to follow I have started creating a list of supplies and watched the cost go up and up. Here is what I finally ended up with

75 Gallon basic Aquarium from Petco
Aquarium Stand
Aquarium lid
(2) NiCrew 100w lights with controller
(2) 1050 GPH EFlux Wavemakers
Fluval FX4 Canister Filter
Eheim 150w heater
80 pounds Caribsea Life Rock
80 pounds Caribsea Live Sand
Reef Salt
RO unit

While waiting for the rest of the equipment to arrive I decided to paint the back of the aquarium black.

526A54F0-EB0C-4ADB-8F56-94AED8BB867B.jpeg

While I am not the best painter I think it turned out pretty good. The stand then arrived and I was able to get that put together. When it came time to install the lights I realized that the aquarium frame was in the way and would not allow the mounting hardware for the lights wouldn’t fit. I got our a saw and cut through the plastic of the aquarium to allow the lights to fit.
2AEC8A55-A2DF-47B6-B2AE-425D483DDE77.jpeg

This brings us up to current. I will be out of town for the next few days but early next week I plan on adding the sand, rocks and water. Then it will be the waiting game to allow the tank to cycle.

the fish on my wish list currently are as follows:
clownfish
Flame Angelfish
One Spot Foxface
Flasher or Fairy Wrasse
Watchman Goby
Pistol Shrimp
Bristletooth Tang
CUC
Bubble Tip Anenome
Hammer Coral

open to other fish or coral ideas to go with the above.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like you are off to a good start! Congratulations on the new adventure!!!

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted to have a nice saltwater aquarium but have never really acted on that desire. About 2-3 weeks ago I was board at work and decide now is the time. In the few days to follow I have started creating a list of supplies and watched the cost go up and up. Here is what I finally ended up with

75 Gallon basic Aquarium from Petco
Aquarium Stand
Aquarium lid
(2) NiCrew 100w lights with controller
(2) 1050 GPH EFlux Wavemakers
Fluval FX4 Canister Filter
Eheim 150w heater
80 pounds Caribsea Life Rock
80 pounds Caribsea Live Sand
Reef Salt
RO unit

While waiting for the rest of the equipment to arrive I decided to paint the back of the aquarium black.

526A54F0-EB0C-4ADB-8F56-94AED8BB867B.jpeg

While I am not the best painter I think it turned out pretty good. The stand then arrived and I was able to get that put together. When it came time to install the lights I realized that the aquarium frame was in the way and would not allow the mounting hardware for the lights wouldn’t fit. I got our a saw and cut through the plastic of the aquarium to allow the lights to fit.
2AEC8A55-A2DF-47B6-B2AE-425D483DDE77.jpeg

This brings us up to current. I will be out of town for the next few days but early next week I plan on adding the sand, rocks and water. Then it will be the waiting game to allow the tank to cycle.

the fish on my wish list currently are as follows:
clownfish
Flame Angelfish
One Spot Foxface
Flasher or Fairy Wrasse
Watchman Goby
Pistol Shrimp
Bristletooth Tang
CUC
Bubble Tip Anenome
Hammer Coral

open to other fish or coral ideas to go with the above.
That's a nice stocking list, almost like you've done research imo. Very nice, what type of corals do you like? Easy to start with mushrooms maybe some zoas and gsp. If you like hammers, torches and frogspawn are also nice adds. Maybe also some rock flower anemones they are chill and come in some awesome colors. This is your journey tho, keep doing research and see what sparks your interest. I guess I should mention to make sure you don't add too much at once and overwhelm the bioload.

They also have these around if you ever get tired of the canister filter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221103-191925_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20221103-191925_Brave.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
A

Archie1219

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice stocking list, almost like you've done research imo. Very nice, what type of corals do you like? Easy to start with mushrooms maybe some zoas and gsp. If you like hammers, torches and frogspawn are also nice adds. Maybe also some rock flower anemones they are chill and come in some awesome colors. This is your journey tho, keep doing research and see what sparks your interest. I guess I should mention to make sure you don't add too much at once and overwhelm the bioload.

They also have these around if you ever get tired of the canister filter
For coral I am not really sure. I mainly am thinking some softies and SPS. My plan is to go to the LFS and see what catches my attention. Then I can research the corals before purchasing anything to make sure that they will be within my skill set and other items in the reef.

OP
OP
A

Archie1219

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got back in town yesterday and started making RO water and mixing in the salt. One thing I learned is that 75 gallons is a ton when going through an RO/DI unit. After many hours I finally have the aquarium full.
FD71DE01-3358-4EBF-B58D-2E77D6B6B682.jpeg

My next step is to stop by the LFS tonight. I figure it is time to start window shopping and help determine which items will be on my wish list.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got back in town yesterday and started making RO water and mixing in the salt. One thing I learned is that 75 gallons is a ton when going through an RO/DI unit. After many hours I finally have the aquarium full.
FD71DE01-3358-4EBF-B58D-2E77D6B6B682.jpeg

My next step is to stop by the LFS tonight. I figure it is time to start window shopping and help determine which items will be on my wish list.
What did you see at the store? What you can do is get some bottled bacteria and ammonia in a bottle, helps seed the tank and gives an indicator when the tanks cycled.

There are tons of different clowns you will be able to choose from. You think when you start getting fish you'll start there and maybe the goby?

How do you like those lights? I should be getting a 76g tank at some point and will be using 1 radion xr15, it will go in the middle then I was going to put the necrew 50w on both ends. I also picked up their controller, it let's you customize a day/night cycle and you can link your 2 lights together like a master light and slave light..

OP
OP
A

Archie1219

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you see at the store? What you can do is get some bottled bacteria and ammonia in a bottle, helps seed the tank and gives an indicator when the tanks cycled.

There are tons of different clowns you will be able to choose from. You think when you start getting fish you'll start there and maybe the goby?

How do you like those lights? I should be getting a 76g tank at some point and will be using 1 radion xr15, it will go in the middle then I was going to put the necrew 50w on both ends. I also picked up their controller, it let's you customize a day/night cycle and you can link your 2 lights together like a master light and slave light..

so I did order some of Dr Tim’s One and Only when I ordered everything else. This was my one fail as I accidentally ordered the freshwater version so didn’t use it. I have the correct one on its way and should have it in a couple days.

Regarding the lights. I did purchase the controller to go with them. The lights seem decent for the price. We did the 100W lights. I don’t really care for the controller but it serves its purpose.
Went to the LFS and saw a few clown options. They have some older pairs that are decent size or small little ones that aren’t. The smaller ones are obviously cheaper but will take a year or more to grow to the same size as the others.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start. I’ve had my second 75g reef going 3 years now. Started with dry rock, bare bottom, which made the first 15 months or so a total nightmare of dealing with the “pest of the month.” Recommend cheap easy corals to start like red or green monti caps

OP
OP
A

Archie1219

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has had water in for a little over a week now. I added a bottle of Dr Tim’s One and Only. Went to the LFS and found a couple fish to add. I ended up getting 4 Clown Fish (Black, Orange, Black Snowflake, and a Wyoming White). This way we can tell them about and have a bit of variety. We do have some concern with getting 4 clown fish but am hoping that getting them all at once as small clowns that they will not pick on each other too much. So far they seem to get along well.
1B7F66A0-08AA-4433-BF71-1B1D9D056A80.jpeg 460437AC-20BA-4E50-8278-3E2C618761D5.jpeg

We also ended up getting a couple small coral that our LFS had on auction. So far everything seems to be responding nicely.

13FB21E4-EFD0-45F1-8196-9062056EC3CB.jpeg

5A293DC9-EBC6-462C-A76D-F84EE18EF00C.jpeg

B7BE0DEC-DF3D-4EFB-BDEB-FA792DDA8E1A.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back