• No

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters

payrawsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
8 feet by two feet tank. 2 gyres and 2 mp40s. Should I get mp60s instead? Mixed reef tank.

Stock list:

Gem tang
Purple tang
3 Hippo tangs
2 Naso tangs
Sohal tang
Yellow eye kole tang
Achilles tang
Powder brown
Powder blue
Cowfish
Emperor angelfish
Lamark angelfish
Moorish idol
Yellow tail tamarin wrasse
Hawkfish
7 clownfish

All will be added at the same exact time. Am I crazy? Plenty of hiding spots in the tank. All fish quarantined. Planning to upgrade to a ten foot tank in about 2 years

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You’re still probably going to have issues. Even in my 8ft tank I had to remove and rehome a couple tangs. Achilles and PBT were the worst. I didn’t have a Sohal either. My Gem was a saint. Sounds like a fish list I love!! Ha!

OP
OP
payrawsa

payrawsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You’re still probably going to have issues. Even in my 8ft tank I had to remove and rehome a couple tangs. Achilles and PBT were the worst. I didn’t have a Sohal either. My Gem was a saint. Sounds like a fish list I love!! Ha!
It's so exciting selecting fish. Everything I read said I'll have the best success if I add the tangs at the same time.

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept multiple acanthurus tangs together over the years.

currently my big tank has achillies, powder blue, sailfin, hippo, orange shoulder, and leut tang. Acanthurus either go in at the same time or last. Same time is best in my opinion.

This latest tank the fish have lived together about 8 months. They have established their hierarchy and will occasionally check each other into place, but nothing sustained that prevents anyone from swimming openly.

When mixing tangs like that you need to be willing to monitor, capture, and rehome problem tangs. There are frequent exceptions and they can one day just decide they don’t like anyone else and go nuts. So as long as you feel you can be responsible and monitor, all you can do is put them in at the same time and feed lots of nori with breaks in direct line of sight.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of tangs I would probably cut out a few. If you were to add all I would add hippos kole naso gem and Lexmark’s in one group then the others including emperor in next group. Just make sure to not shock your tanks nitrification process with too much at once. Have a couple mirrors ready in case of fighting.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be fine. TBH, you could probably add about 5-6 more and shorten the tank to 4ft and be ok.
I'm unsure if this is meant to be sarcastic. Hoping so.

The tank size shouldn't be a stand alone issue for any of those tangs. Personally, I think it's too densely packed with problems. The moorish idol may get starved out by the more aggressive eaters, The powders are likely going to fight often, The regals are going to fight, the sohal will likely be an unmanageable jerk. If you're trying to do something crazy, Try to do it in the least crazy way.

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the tangs can all be added last in similar groups to my knowledge. I've thrown a hippo in with a Tomini tang well after tomini was established. But I also agree powder blue or brown with Achilles will fight a ton. Both are jerks. Plus a 8x2ft tank is what 250g? Plenty of room for 15 fish imo

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry 22 lol. Still tons of smaller fish. I have 13 in a 65g (not tangs lol). And plan on a couple more. Tomini is In the 65 now gonna fish him out soon to throw in my 8ft tank as well w about 6 or 7 other tangs.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the tangs can all be added last in similar groups to my knowledge. I've thrown a hippo in with a Tomini tang well after tomini was established. But I also agree powder blue or brown with Achilles will fight a ton. Both are jerks. Plus a 8x2ft tank is what 250g? Plenty of room for 15 fish imo
Sorry 22 lol. Still tons of smaller fish. I have 13 in a 65g (not tangs lol). And plan on a couple more. Tomini is In the 65 now gonna fish him out soon to throw in my 8ft tank as well w about 6 or 7 other tangs.
Don't be... silly...

You want to throw 22 fish (several aggressive ones in there to boot) into a 8 foot x 2 foot tank...?

You couldn't even deal with 22 people living in a large 5000 sq. foot house ... without being stressed, etc...

Just plain silly.

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a serious post, I'd say 12 tangs is about 2x too many.

I have an 8' tank and 6 large tangs and I do believe that's pushing it.

And one other concern I have is the moorish idol. It's better to pass on that one, they don't last long in captivity.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back