ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sure is a fluffy cat. I feel sorry for him since he ran into a wall. haha

If your on the fence between a black and a white sand, they make a "salt n pepper" like sand.

He is definitely fluffy, but not for long. He has developed a hatred for being brushed, and bites me when I try now, so he is getting shaved down. He used to be so handsome when he was all brushed out, not that he isn't now lol. I love his smooshy face! My husband hates it though lol. But his personality more then makes up for it! And I definitely will be sticking with white sand. I personally like the look better. I tried it once on a tank at work and didn't care for it.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem with a cat named Pipsqueak, a Maine Coon. She is entirely an outdoor cat and spends most of her time at the barn while a shorthair, Blackie, is the city cat. Pip needs to be shaved right now and I can't find any pet groomers that will do cats now. Although I love her I'll never get a Maine Coon again.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I will definitely stick with Persians from now on. My ex had 2 maincoons. They were really cool cats. And I was a groomer for 10 years. Strictly dogs though, I won't mess with cats. I have a wonderful cat groomer though if you are ever in Pittsburgh lol

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I will definitely stick with Persians from now on. My ex had 2 maincoons. They were really cool cats. And I was a groomer for 10 years. Strictly dogs though, I won't mess with cats. I have a wonderful cat groomer though if you are ever in Pittsburgh lol

Did you decide on lighting yet? I had a biocube and the hood is bad. Try to take it off and replace with an AI light. It's about $200 but we'll worth it.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you decide on lighting yet? I had a biocube and the hood is bad. Try to take it off and replace with an AI light. It's about $200 but we'll worth it.

I was just going to do the stock hood, but after I replaced the bulbs one of the ballasts went. I ended up getting on of those $30 eBay par 38 to try. The color looks great now that I covered the red with electrical tape lol. That one red led really makes a huge color difference!

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With red

20160319_131011.jpg

Without red

20160319_130901.jpg

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also cracked the corner of my acrylic trying to cut notches for the cords. Oh well it works:D

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool aquascape! That doesn't plop like the standard biocube hood and light though...
Thanks. It's temporary until my rock is done cooking though. What do you mean by plop?

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It's temporary until my rock is done cooking though. What do you mean by plop?
Lol I meant look. It doesn't look like the standard biocube hood. In fact, I see no hood at all! That's a good thing.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I meant look. It doesn't look like the standard biocube hood. In fact, I see no hood at all! That's a good thing.
Oh hahaha. I actually kind of miss the hood. I feel like it tied the whole thing together. But that's probably just me not used to it yet. And I greatly dislike change lol.

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see anyone mention you can take that lamp apart and add a separate cord and plug for the reading lamp so you can run a timer on it. Would be pretty simple and cheap. Lowe's, Home Depot or even Walmart would have everything you'd need.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't updated this in a while so here ya go;) the 8 gallon hasn't had much done with it other then weekly water changes until yesterday. I lost my goby to ich a while ago so we are staying fishless for a while:( My SIL gave me a bunch of frags she was thinning out, lots of mushrooms and it looks like a few teeny eagle eyes on some of them. Then tonight I finally added the rock that's been curing (for what feels like half my life lol) so I can eventually switch it out with the old rock, which you may have noticed is not actually what you would consider "reef " rock, but it served it's purpose for now. Here is last night after new frags and before the rock madness.
20160506_005941.jpg

And here is now.
20160506_213621.jpg

What a mess! I guess I better get used to it for a few weeks though lol. I am going to try a semi bonsai look with the new rock I think. I have some of it already glued together with... hot glue eeekkkkk:eek: I know what you are thinking right now, but since this has turned into my test tank, I figured I have nothing to loose with this experiment except some snails, hermits, and frags I already have in the 45. Since I couldn't find much info on using it other then the "by the bookers" saying no without much of a reason why. So i figured i will be the guinea pig for the greater good of reefing...Ok and I ran out of superglue and putty also haha. I may, at some point, start another thread on that if I see any positive or negative effects. Anyway, I also started making an ATO since we will be going on vacation soon and I don't want the house sitter to worry about topping off. I am just waiting on the float valve to get here and it should be in business:) oh I should also add that I "tested" h202 on this tank before trying it on the 45, do you see any cyano now?;)

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another update. I got my main rocks how I want them and took out some of the old rock, I am leaving that one piece in the back there for a bit longer before I yank it out. I stuck one of the Duncans from the other tank in there, and he is not happy with these temp swings I've been having. Everything else seems unaffected though. I replaced the acrylic top with egg crate, and it has helped some, but I need to get a fan on it asap. I am also having a hard time finding a small enough float valve for the ato, which is a must now that the hood is gone!
1464664677651.jpg
1464664685255.jpg

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely like the new scape b! How much longer are you staying fishless?
Thanks, I am pretty fond of it too lol. I don't really know, we have 2 trips coming up this month so sometime late june or July maybe. Other then sexy shrimp I don't really know what I want in here. I also want to get the ato and temp issues addressed first.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back