8 Gallon SPS Frag Tank

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R community!

Upon many hours of looking at this posts - I got the itch to start a small acrylic frag tank! Shallow tanks have always really appealed to me and is the main factor why I had a Deep Blue 60gal frag tank prior to this. For this build I wanted to keep it simple: return pump, ATO, heater, Kessil A360WE, and water changes. So here we go.

I acquired the tank from eBay on 1/14. Tank dimensions are 16"x20"x6". @Mical for the tank suggestion!
My original plans were to make it a desk tank, but after some measuring - I realized that it would take up a bit too much space and would be putting saltwater a bit too close to my computer and paperwork. So I built a stand! Big shout out to @Coastie Reefer for the design idea for it. Dimensions for it are 48"x24"36" - not including the leveling feet. I wanted a stand that had plenty of room around the tank for supplies, testing kits, and fragging supplies.
IMG_3506.jpg
IMG_3507.jpg

Building it wasn't so bad but painting it was - I can't tell you how much I hate painting things. So here we go!

IMG_3509.jpg

(please excuse my messy garage - it's tough to keep my stuff organized with 3 kids bikes, scooter, skates, etc!) Painting was finally done. Put two coats on the stand and top ply. I wanted to make a dual color stand but I got way too lazy to open the new can of paint and get it all set up with new brushes and what not. So flat black here we go!
Leveling legs came in from amazon -$10 for 4 heavy duty ones that can withstand 800#'s - good enough for me! Got those drilled into the legs and brought the stand indoors.

IMG_3510.jpg

An hour of sweating and cussing. I finally got it leveled and was ready to put the tank on it and get it wet.

60115122465__DF00838E-23BD-4CF4-8571-F16D49DC29B6.JPG

Getting there! While it was being filled with RODI water I made a frag rack out of egg crate. I cannot express how much I don't enjoy working with this stuff either! Yeah, painting and egg crate are not my favorites - I probably should just pay someone to do this stuff for me next time how much I complain about it - but I saved a few bucks!

60116518429__415C14CC-D67A-4359-877F-B0F7C0F7D8C2.JPG

Eggcrate in! Still have to make an eggcrate media holder for the intake chamber, but I will save that for another day. I have had enough of that stuff for one day! Time to put in the heater, ATO, and some live rock. I have about 90# of dry rock sitting in my garage but was not trying to wait for a few pounds of it to cure so I did what any other giddy reefer does - I went to my LFS and picked up 2#'s and scattered some in the 2nd and 3rd chamber in the back and threw the rest by the overflow.
It is hard to find a heater that will fit in a tank this short so I went with an Aqueon 100W compact "exact temp 78F" heater. It fit perfectly but was putting my water at 80.2F. I didn't want to have to return it and try to find a 50W so I hooked the tank up to my APEX - kind of overkill putting one on an 8gal tank but it was sitting dormant - so why not?

Here is the tank so far. I still need to do a lot of cable management and do a little more tweaking but it is coming along nicely!
IMG_3518.jpg
IMG_3520.jpg
IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3517.jpg IMG_3519.jpg

Hoping to check my Ammonia and Nitrates tomorrow and then start thinking more about what kind of fish I would like to put in it. At this point I am leaning heavily on a Pink Streaked Wrasse, but the wife wants a clown fish - of course.
More updates to come

Last edited:

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R community!

Upon many hours of looking at this posts - I got the itch to start a small acrylic frag tank! Shallow tanks have always really appealed to me and is the main factor why I had a Deep Blue 60gal frag tank prior to this. For this build I wanted to keep it simple: return pump, ATO, heater, Kessil A360WE, and water changes. So here we go.

I acquired the tank from eBay on 1/14. Tank dimensions are 16"x20"x6". @Mical for the tank suggestion!
My original plans were to make it a desk tank, but after some measuring - I realized that it would take up a bit too much space and would be putting saltwater a bit too close to my computer and paperwork. So I built a stand! Big shout out to @Coastie Reefer for the design idea for it. Dimensions for it are 48"x24"36" - not including the leveling feet. I wanted a stand that had plenty of room around the tank for supplies, testing kits, and fragging supplies.
IMG_3506.jpg
IMG_3507.jpg

Building it wasn't so bad but painting it was - I can't tell you how much I hate painting things. So here we go!

IMG_3509.jpg

(please excuse my messy garage - it's tough to keep my stuff organized with 3 kids bikes, scooter, skates, etc!) Painting was finally done. Put two coats on the stand and top ply. I wanted to make a dual color stand but I got way too lazy to open the new can of paint and get it all set up with new brushes and what not. So flat black here we go!
Leveling legs came in from amazon -$10 for 4 heavy duty ones that can withstand 800#'s - good enough for me! Got those drilled into the legs and brought the stand indoors.

IMG_3510.jpg

An hour of sweating and cussing. I finally got it leveled and was ready to put the tank on it and get it wet.

60115122465__DF00838E-23BD-4CF4-8571-F16D49DC29B6.JPG

Getting there! While it was being filled with RODI water I made a frag rack out of egg crate. I cannot express how much I don't enjoy working with this stuff either! Yeah, painting and egg crate are not my favorites - I probably should just pay someone to do this stuff for me next time how much I complain about it - but I saved a few bucks!

60116518429__415C14CC-D67A-4359-877F-B0F7C0F7D8C2.JPG

Eggcrate in! Still have to make an eggcrate media holder for the intake chamber, but I will save that for another day. I have had enough of that stuff for one day! Time to put in the heater, ATO, and some live rock. I have about 90# of dry rock sitting in my garage but was not trying to wait for a few pounds of it to cure so I did what any other giddy reefer does - I went to my LFS and picked up 2#'s and scattered some in the 2nd and 3rd chamber in the back and threw the rest by the overflow.
It is hard to find a heater that will fit in a tank this short so I went with an Aqueon 100W compact "exact temp 78F" heater. It fit perfectly but was putting my water at 80.2F. I didn't want to have to return it and try to find a 50W so I hooked the tank up to my APEX - kind of overkill putting one on an 8gal tank but it was sitting dormant - so why not?

Here is the tank so far. I still need to do a lot of cable management and do a little more tweaking but it is coming along nicely!
IMG_3518.jpg
IMG_3520.jpg
IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3517.jpg IMG_3519.jpg

Hoping to check my Ammonia and Nitrates tomorrow and then start thinking more about what kind of fish I would like to put in it. At this point I am leaning heavily on a Pink Streaked Wrasse, but the wife wants a clown fish - of course.
More updates to come

Nice build if you copy and past your link on your account you can earn a build badge. That easy! Great job and following

Screenshot_20191205-183244_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20191205-183321_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP
BarSnackz

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I put in an order for some black egg crate, APEX PH probe calibration solutions, and some more reagent refills for my Hanna Phosphate checker.
Time to find a Nitrate test kit as my old Red Sea one has expired. Will probably just get another one of those I guess.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I filled it with 5gals of water from my 65g which has SPS growing in it. Then topped off with 3gals fresh saltwater. Plugged in heater (which is holding steady at 78.2 deg) I put a filter sock in 1st compartment w/small bag of Innovative Marines' carbon and Fiber balls. (thought I'ld try their "Purity pack") & 3 marinepure bio balls (that came from my 65gal also) I was contemplating adding an old MP10 I have but flow seems pretty swift " as is" with pump going to a submerged sprayer bar. Also the stand is an old entertainment stand a neighbor had in garage sale & tank fit perfect. Pics below

IMG_7211.JPG IMG_7212.JPG IMG_7213.JPG IMG_7215.JPG IMG_7216.JPG IMG_7217.JPG IMG_7219.JPG

OP
OP
BarSnackz

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
So I still have this birds nest under my stand. Gotta figure out how I'm going to mount my apex to my stand. Kind want to tuck it underneath in the back but will have to cut and paint another piece of wood so that I can get the the system on its mounts with so little headspace above it on the 2x4 and then drill that new piece of wood onto the stand. Still debating that.
image0.jpeg

Got the package with the black egg crate and cut that all up and put it in the tank, it looks so much better - thanks for the suggestions, guys!
image1.jpeg

Also, got my pH probe calibrated, so that is ready to run!

image2.jpeg

Lastly, I mounted one of my Kessil A360WE's over the tank. I think is the straightest and most perfect orientation of its gooseneck that I have ever gotten. haha pretty proud of that.
Presenting:

image3.jpeg

Thanks for looking. More updates and some water tests to come, soon.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the time being I'm keeping mine in my home office which is 125ft away from my Apex so everything is pretty much "analog" . But when home I'm pretty much in office so monitoring it will be me personally.

I'm going with Kessil 160 from a fellow reefer here on R2R, plus a Kessil Spectral controller and I'm in the process of making my own ATO from one of my extra "luckreef" res's & and an aqua lifter pump on a timer. These little guys evaporate about a quart a day. lol.

OP
OP
BarSnackz

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the time being I'm keeping mine in my home office which is 125ft away from my Apex so everything is pretty much "analog" . But when home I'm pretty much in office so monitoring it will be me personally.

I'm going with Kessil 160 from a fellow reefer here on R2R, plus a Kessil Spectral controller and I'm in the process of making my own ATO from one of my extra "luckreef" res's & and an aqua lifter pump on a timer. These little guys evaporate about a quart a day. lol.

A Kessil 160 over it would be dope! I was about to disagree with you on the amount of evaporation and then did the math and I think you are spot on haha. I think I can average about 20 days on my 5 gallon bucket of ATO. I think frag tanks are always that way though, by having such a large surface area of exposed water. I was going through 5 gallons of RODI every 3-4 days on my 60 gal.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other 2 tanks (a 65gal & 120gal) go through about 3-4 gals per week, but both have glass lids. I tried screen tops but evap rates were insane and fish kept trying to jump through it. I lost a six-line wrasse who got stuck in the mesh. Cleaning glass lids is part of my Sunday testing ritual.

This "lil guy" frag tank is my grow out & quarantine tank for coral and being in my office I'll be closely in-touch with it.

OP
OP
BarSnackz

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other 2 tanks (a 65gal & 120gal) go through about 3-4 gals per week, but both have glass lids. I tried screen tops but evap rates were insane and fish kept trying to jump through it. I lost a six-line wrasse who got stuck in the mesh. Cleaning glass lids is part of my Sunday testing ritual.

This "lil guy" frag tank is my grow out & quarantine tank for coral and being in my office I'll be closely in-touch with it.
6 lines are crazy little creatures! Always wanted one but didn't want it to bully my other fish. Are you thinking of putting a fish in your frag tank?
But...
Wow you must love taking care of tanks! haha I had two reef tanks at once before and even with all the automation... I was spending way too much time taking care of them and constantly stressing about what I needed to do to them when I got home from work. I keep it simple these days as I have given all my coral to my friends (besides a few big pieces that reside in a low maintenance 20L) when I redid my floor and broke down my 60 gal.
(don't ask me about that Reefer 750 XXL that's in my garage... haha)

but I agree with you on the office tank. My desk is to the right of my tank and I spend quite a bit of my time at home in here when I'm not at work - so, I'm hoping that I am able to keep a close eye on some of these nice frags that I'm going to be ordering soon enough to put in there.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back