8 Month Old Bare Bottom Green Algae on Bottom Glass

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states my BB tank is getting green algae on the bottom. It has been a long time coming for this tank to start to get life in it. I had to dose Nitrate and Phosphate to get up from the dreaded double 0's for awhile. My filtration only has a protein skimmer and a roller mat. It is a 160 gallon Display.

The algae feels like green felt, it is not slimy at all. The tangs like to eat it. I have about 30 snails and 15 hermits. To scratch it off you need to use your nail or a blade. It is not green Coraline.

I think it maybe sucking PO4 from my system.

I stopped dosing NO3 and PO4 about 2 months ago as things seemed to stabilize. I have been at 5 ppm NO3 for a couple of months now. PO4 would bounce between .06 - .03. However the last few weeks it has been going down little by little. My check earlier this week was .01. A bit to low for my liking.

The question is do I start dosing PO4 again or some how remove the algae? I could scrape it off but would be worried of spreading it all around. Do I dose P04 to keep levels around .04-.06 and let the tangs eat the algae until it stabilizes again? I realize my tank is still a baby especially being a bare bottom. I have been taking it really slowly and want to do things right.

IMG_3008.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_3007.jpg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like dosing PO4 might just feed the algae. As long as your PO4 remains detectable, I would personally not do it. I've never done bare bottom, but I wouldn't think scraping would hurt anything in the short term. Could just take some time for your tank to balance. Nice looking tank by the way.

OP
OP
Diesel48

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the thoughts! I did attempt to scrape small section with the Kent scrapper and metal attachment. It really did not come off like it thought it would. Whatever kind of algae it is, it really bonded with the glass.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll have to just wait for it it burn itself out. That’s what I’ve found with most types of algae...Put your tank on a “diet”; reduce feedings, increase skimming, and maybe a few days without lights.

It won’t be better in a week; it’ll take several weeks.

You might also try peroxide dosing. I like to do 1mL/gallon, twice a day.

Edit: Turbo snails.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it. Mine did the same. I left it alone and the turbos and tangs took care if it.

OP
OP
Diesel48

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! I think I am going to let it be for now and see what happens. I am thinking it is just one of the parts of the tank stabilizing / balancing out.

jhall2242

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! I think I am going to let it be for now and see what happens. I am thinking it is just one of the parts of the tank stabilizing / balancing out.

So how are things now? Also are your running a refugium or UV light?

OP
OP
Diesel48

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It slowly got thinner and thinner. Probably used up whatever it was consuming. I also turned my LED's down 50% as I had them way to high.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy some snails to eat it. Don’t waste your time tweaking water chemistry parameters.

OP
OP
Diesel48

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Diesel48 curious how it’s going and looking now. I’m on the fence about doing BB. Thx
It all went away eventually. Just an FYI I would not go bare bottom again. Tank is two years old and finally coming into its own. I thought I would be much much further along. I am finally confident in putting sps into it now.

TheDallasCollector

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all went away eventually. Just an FYI I would not go bare bottom again. Tank is two years old and finally coming into its own. I thought I would be much much further along. I am finally confident in putting sps into it now.

Happy for your outcome and thanks for sharing you point of view. My fish tank is in my living room wife would kill me if it took that long to get pretty no matter how good it looked in the end. I’m going sand, decision made! I’ll check out your other posts to see if I can find a current pic. Thx bud

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%

Back