8-Pointed star shaped hitch hikers on my zoas

schlemazl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are these guys? How do I kill them dead? My new zoas won't open.
1704930786843.png
1704930884842.png

I'm pretty new. Been reefing for about a year. I apologize if this is a boring/easy/already thoroughly covered question.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clove polyps (daisy). Are typically very invasive, but I haven't heard of them causing zoas to close without being at smothering levels. Makes me wonder if something else is going on. Only known treatment is fenbendazole. Research and proceed with caution. If this is your only thing with these invasive polyps, I'd recommend removing from the tank. It's not worth this taking over your tank over some easy to replace zoas.

Shawnman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are zoa eating sea spiders. I got rid of mine by grabbing with a tweezers when the lights are off. Looks like yours might be reproducing. Best to get them fast as possible. Mine just sat there until i was able to grab them. I was afraid they would scurry off if I missed but they did not. Kinda dug in like a wood tick until I grabbed it. They generally do not move far from where you have seen them. You can dip the zoa's in coral rx but if they are inside the polyp it won't work nor will it get the eggs. Be vigilant before it gets out of control. Good luck.

Shawnman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one I caught last week. I could be wrong on the diagnosis tho. Hard to tell.

Attachments

• 20240102_205613.jpg
    20240102_205613.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 38

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, some kind of (likely highly invasive) soft coral like clove polyps. I'm not sure what the best removal strategy would be, but I'd definitely try to get it out before it spreads (if you try to remove it manually, I'd suggest doing so in a bowl of tank water outside of the tank itself, as these things can spread by dropping pieces that grow into new corals - since they're on zoas, you may also want to toss some carbon in the bowl and work on in it a well-ventilated area to be safe).

Speaking bluntly, though, as ReefingDreams said above, fragging some un-infested zoas off and getting rid of the frag may be the best course of action.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are zoa eating sea spiders. I got rid of mine by grabbing with a tweezers when the lights are off. Looks like yours might be reproducing. Best to get them fast as possible. Mine just sat there until i was able to grab them. I was afraid they would scurry off if I missed but they did not. Kinda dug in like a wood tick until I grabbed it. They generally do not move far from where you have seen them. You can dip the zoa's in coral rx but if they are inside the polyp it won't work nor will it get the eggs. Be vigilant before it gets out of control. Good luck.
No, those are anthellia

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back