80 Gal reef ready frag tank question about the ideal size and height for a stand

JohnnyK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a frag tank this past weekend. its foot print is 48"*24". I am wondering if i make the top those dimensions or should I have an extra inch or two on either side of the tank? Also wondering about height of the stand. I am 6'1" and don't mind getting a step stool if I need to reach the back of the tank. My thoughts are that the bottom of the tank should be between 32-34 inches but I don't know if there is a rule of thumb or someone who would have done it different that can offer insight.

Thanks in advance
John in Halifax

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a frag tank this past weekend. its foot print is 48"*24". I am wondering if i make the top those dimensions or should I have an extra inch or two on either side of the tank? Also wondering about height of the stand. I am 6'1" and don't mind getting a step stool if I need to reach the back of the tank. My thoughts are that the bottom of the tank should be between 32-34 inches but I don't know if there is a rule of thumb or someone who would have done it different that can offer insight.

Thanks in advance
John in Halifax

John in Halifax, like in NS?

Anyway, as it is a frag tank, you want to be able to work on it, and maybe able to view from the top down. Also will a sump go underneath, if you are going to use a sump, how tall is the skimmer , and how easy will it be to get the skimmer in an out for maintenance.

Cheers.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump I got with it is a 80 gal rimless tank, it is the same dimensions except on its side so 48 long by 16 wide by 24 tall. I have an Red Sea RSK-300 but that is in the sump for my other tank. I would have to get skimmer, return pump, lighting and what ever else. I may even get some glass and add additional baffles, currently it is only divided into two areas. This is only a side project and not any emergency to get running. I got two frag tanks and a sump second hand. Thought it would be nice to set one up.

Yes, I am in Nova Scotia. Just getting back into the hobby after a thirty year break.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump I got with it is a 80 gal rimless tank, it is the same dimensions except on its side so 48 long by 16 wide by 24 tall. I have an Red Sea RSK-300 but that is in the sump for my other tank. I would have to get skimmer, return pump, lighting and what ever else. I may even get some glass and add additional baffles, currently it is only divided into two areas. This is only a side project and not any emergency to get running. I got two frag tanks and a sump second hand. Thought it would be nice to set one up.

Yes, I am in Nova Scotia. Just getting back into the hobby after a thirty year break.

Lived in Shubenacadie.

Sounds like you have an idea of what you need to do. Step stools work, but a tank at waist height, that you can reach over, and like I said look down into might work to your advantage.

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same footprint for my RR 60gal, but I think mine was a couple inches shorter than yours. I'm 6'3" and built my stand to 36" tall and it was perfect for when I was sitting in my computer chair to get an eye-level view of the tank and when I stood over it, I was able to get a nice top-down view. Plus, I could reach all the way to the back of the tank without the need for a stool.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 35 29.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.8%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back