What size steel for the stand of a 360 gallon peninsula?

cnaegler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
After being out of the hobby for the last 12-13 years, I'm back with a, just purchased,
custom 360 gallon peninsula tank (6'L×4'W×2'H). Now it's time to build a steel stand.
I plan on DIY ing the stand as I have multiple welders and welding skills, to keep cost down.
My question is does everyone think that 2"×2"× 3/16" is strong enough for all the pieces of the stand? The largest span will be 4' at the peninsula end for easy access to install / remove my sump. The tank will weigh approximately 4000- 4200 lbs when full of rock, sand and water.
I'll also be adding 45° braces at every 90° intersection. The spans on either side will only be 3'.
Thanks for your time!

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
After being out of the hobby for the last 12-13 years, I'm back with a, just purchased,
custom 360 gallon peninsula tank (6'L×4'W×2'H). Now it's time to build a steel stand.
I plan on DIY ing the stand as I have multiple welders and welding skills, to keep cost down.
My question is does everyone think that 2"×2"× 3/16" is strong enough for all the pieces of the stand? The largest span will be 4' at the peninsula end for easy access to install / remove my sump. The tank will weigh approximately 4000- 4200 lbs when full of rock, sand and water.
I'll also be adding 45° braces at every 90° intersection. The spans on either side will only be 3'.
Thanks for your time!
There used to be a calculator online. Yeah just looked. It's a dead link.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back