Stand help due to sump size

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be build a stand for a 75 gallon 48x18, the issue I have is the sump I'm using ( bashsea) is 48" long

I mocked up a 2x4 stand but there is no way I can fit the sump in there.

So What are my options? Should I make the stand like 54" long and then put a top on the stand to have the tank sit on, there would then be a 3" overhang on either side and if I did it with say 2x6 and stained it it wouldnt be too bad Think butcher block style top

I have heard of people building stands out of 3/4" ply but with a tank and then a canopy I know I would need to reinforce the stand and then I run into the same issue

Top of the stand can be solid as the drains are on the back of the tank

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of people building stands out of 3/4" ply but with a tank and then a canopy I know I would need to reinforce the stand and then I run into the same issue
You'd need a frame of 2x4s and/or 2x6s... Unless they are stacking plywood to "make" 2x4s, no one in their right mind would build a stand for a larger tank JUST using plywood.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on placement. If center of a wall, center the tank.
If in a corner, make it a faux peninsula style

OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking something like this, have to show the Wife as she gets the finally approval. Im just the hired help lol

Attachments

• standextra.jpg
    standextra.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 81

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be build a stand for a 75 gallon 48x18, the issue I have is the sump I'm using ( bashsea) is 48" long

I mocked up a 2x4 stand but there is no way I can fit the sump in there.

So What are my options? Should I make the stand like 54" long and then put a top on the stand to have the tank sit on, there would then be a 3" overhang on either side and if I did it with say 2x6 and stained it it wouldnt be too bad Think butcher block style top

Top of the stand can be solid as the drains are on the back of the tank
Is the sump skinny enough to sit inside the stand if you built it to the size of the tank? If you’re worried just about a 3” over hang on each end you’d be fine as long as the tank sits flat on the 2x4 headers across the front and back… obviously you’d need like a 3/4” piece of plywood on top of the stand thou. You don’t mention the width of the sump just the length.

OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the sump skinny enough to sit inside the stand if you built it to the size of the tank? If you’re worried just about a 3” over hang on each end you’d be fine as long as the tank sits flat on the 2x4 headers across the front and back… obviously you’d need like a 3/4” piece of plywood on top of the stand thou. You don’t mention the width of the sump just the length.
Its either 15" or 18" Its at a friends house and Im waiting for the measurements as I forgot which one it is

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the weight of the tank is supported front and back by the stand and it sits flat it will be ok to build the 2x4 stand a little bigger. Ive got 2 125s stacked built the stand out of 2x4 and 2x6 over 3 years no issues.
Also on the topic of plywood stands my 180 has a plywood stand had it set up over 5 years no issues also has a canopy 14" tall. its 3/4" walnut plywood made by a professional stand/cabinet builder. Hes built 100s of stands for tanks over the years builds them for my lfs. I wouldnt try building one myself out of plywood though.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate being at work and trying to reply stupid work gets in the way of my hobby lol. I was typing my reply when you replied, but techs need parts grrrr.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Build it so you are able to drop sump in from top and clearing the studs or extend the stand 1.5 -2" on both sides.
I have the same sump and understand the desire to keep it. Its a great layout and houses every component you desire.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could build it with regular 3/4" ply and then skin it with 1/4" cabinet grade ply?
You could, but save the $$ and just get a finish grade (aka cabinet grade)....at least that would be me....and then spray paint whatever color, or laminate.....just depends on how handy you are or how much $$$ you want to spend.....but at a certain point, you have to consider buy pre-built versus DIY.....all on you.....

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build it so you are able to drop sump in from top and clearing the studs or extend the stand 1.5 -2" on both sides.
I have the same sump and understand the desire to keep it. Its a great layout and houses every component you desire.
That is a good option also, until you need to replace the sump.........

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That is a good option also, until you need to replace the sump.........
I dont see a reason to replace a sump unless damaged. If you have seen a Bashsea- they are built very rugged hence the price but worth every nickel. I am fortunate to have a 10ft stand so i can slide it right in.
If you have to replace a sump, in many cases you are draining the tank down anyway to stop the flow even with plumbing containing unions

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back