80 gallon cube build!

Silverdot1211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am not much of a writer but here it goes!.....

So to start off I have always been around aquariums. I grew up with my parents having lage tanks and sting rays but never saltwater stuff.. in the last couple years I have have been dabbling in the planted/shrimp tank stuff. Until now I have never had or ventured into saltwater and I am not going to lie but this world is like pandora's box.

So for the last year I have been lurking around Reef2reef watching all the @Bulk Reef Supply and @SaltwaterAq
Videos and soaking up as much knowledge as I could. The attached pictures are the ruslts of all that time spent with only a couple concessions.

Tank setup is as follows
SC Aquariums 80 gallon cube with a custom steel stand.

Pump: is a Reef Octopus varios 4 pump (probably a little small but it was the deal of the century that couldn't be passed up)

Sump: Marine depot elite 30inch sump.

I have a Reef Octopus 150 ext skimmer but it's not pictured and I am currently debating on lights. I currently have one Noopsyche light to try but I am leaning towards two hydra 32's or two primes.

With all that I would love people's thoughts on the lights and any input people have. As a side comment. The gate valve on the right isn't plumbed in yet and the valve on the left will be capped off off but the intent is for a uv light.
20210131_142444.jpg
20210131_142424.jpg

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! tank looks good, and you chose some good solid equipment. I didn't see it listed but do you have an ato or plan on getting one?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the lights you mentioned, I would go with 2 x Hydra 32 or 2 x Noopsych. The primes are good, but if you plan on any SPS down the road, you will be glad you got the Hydras. another good option would be the New Reefi Uno. I think I am going to use it on my new build.

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered an SCA 80 back in November and it should arrive here soon, so I will be following your thread.

I went with mostly Ecotech Marine for gear so I will be running two XR15 blue for lightning on mine and I drilled for a Synergy overflow.

OP
OP
S

Silverdot1211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! tank looks good, and you chose some good solid equipment. I didn't see it listed but do you have an ato or plan on getting one?
The plan is either Avast or more likely Tunze.
Of the lights you mentioned, I would go with 2 x Hydra 32 or 2 x Noopsych. The primes are good, but if you plan on any SPS down the road, you will be glad you got the Hydras. another good option would be the New Reefi Uno. I think I am going to use it on my new build.
I just ordered the second Noopsyche light so we will see what long term brings with these lights....
Get your sand and rock in there you lazy S.O.B.! :)
Last but not least....I may be dragging my feet but still further than you :p

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats on the new tank!

OP
OP
S

Silverdot1211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally have the scape and salt in. Small tweek to the plumbing on return pump. All in all I'm happy so far!......only thing left is cable management and to mount the sides.
16124798687152697930146049708929.jpg

kutcha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice tank so far i have been watching alot of SCA tank builds and it has made me decide to get a custom 30x30x24 from them. Keep us updated on this build!

OP
OP
S

Silverdot1211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just received the second light and wow it was needed! Lots of shadowing with one... now to power on and hopefully get some corals coming soon!!!!
20210310_162846.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back