+/- 80 gallon cube tank - powerhead question

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my 135g (6ft) set up, I started with a number of Hydor 1500 power heads. I really disliked the look of those powerheads, so I decided to try Gyres. I swapped out all the Hydors for (2) Maxspect Gyres (200 series), One at each end. Those were awesome. I was so please with the result / performance. I don't recall ever having issues with them, except for the controller. But that Maxspect replaced that free of charge and that was the last issue I ever had.

Now, that that tank is no more, and I am starting this 80 gallon cube, I'm thinking of doing the same. Obviously the size and quantity may differ, but I'd like to try the Gyres again. Biggest issue to think about is how powerful will they be and how much water will they send up and over the glass of the aquarium, onto the floor. The orientation I am considering is vertically on the back glass, one on each side of the overflow, maybe 1/3 - 1/2 the way down.
(I still have my original ones, but I think they may be too large. I also noticed they have been discontinued. )

For those of you that have a cube roughly the same size as mine, have you used Gyres? have you also used regular powerheads in the same tank to see which works better?
Care to share your experiences between the two?

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya, i believe they are. something tells me i can take them down rather low. like 10-30%
only thought i had, was since they are discontinued, the software wouldn't be able to be updated as it needs from time to time. It hasn't been updated in 5-6 years. maybe they can still be used. I'll have to look into it.

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was looking at the specs for the one I have XF250, it looks like it has a max flow of 5300GPH.
not sure if it's best to have two of the pumps in a cube, or only one. Does it matter?
I have an overflow right in the center so flow would not be constant as it would get blocked.
Guess it's something i'd have to play with.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was looking at the specs for the one I have XF250, it looks like it has a max flow of 5300GPH.
not sure if it's best to have two of the pumps in a cube, or only one. Does it matter?
I have an overflow right in the center so flow would not be constant as it would get blocked.
Guess it's something i'd have to play with.
I would put it on a random setting or antisync most of the gyres ive seen have that ability along with the ability to control how much flow is pushed. I think your idea is good, you'll just have to play with them to see what you and your corals like. I purchased a few things from a guy shutting down his tank recently and he had 2 I think icecap gyres in there. I havent played with them yet but know they work, He put them in a tote and turned them on to show me they work spit water everywhere. He looked at me and said oh they are adjustable. I was planning on setting up my 180g with them on either side and got distracted by setting up this tank instead.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back