+/- 80 gallon cube tank - powerhead question

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my 135g (6ft) set up, I started with a number of Hydor 1500 power heads. I really disliked the look of those powerheads, so I decided to try Gyres. I swapped out all the Hydors for (2) Maxspect Gyres (200 series), One at each end. Those were awesome. I was so please with the result / performance. I don't recall ever having issues with them, except for the controller. But that Maxspect replaced that free of charge and that was the last issue I ever had.

Now, that that tank is no more, and I am starting this 80 gallon cube, I'm thinking of doing the same. Obviously the size and quantity may differ, but I'd like to try the Gyres again. Biggest issue to think about is how powerful will they be and how much water will they send up and over the glass of the aquarium, onto the floor. The orientation I am considering is vertically on the back glass, one on each side of the overflow, maybe 1/3 - 1/2 the way down.
(I still have my original ones, but I think they may be too large. I also noticed they have been discontinued. )

For those of you that have a cube roughly the same size as mine, have you used Gyres? have you also used regular powerheads in the same tank to see which works better?
Care to share your experiences between the two?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, but my tank is shallow. In your situation, maybe get 2x 2k versions instead with one on each side, as you suggested.

1705703538821.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back