80 Gallon Shallow Build

DumpInTheSump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my first ever reef tank, or any tank for that matter, and I plan on housing fish, coral and maybe inverts.

Currently bought:
Deep Blue 80 Gallon Rimless tank - Non-Reef Ready. Got an awesome deal at the LFS on this.
Synergy Reef 16" Shadow Overflow Box + drill bit
Trigger Systems Marine Depot 36" Sump (Hey I got it while it was $100 off + free shipping!)
BRS 5 Stage RODI unit
Red Sea Test Kit
Glass-Holes 3/4" return kit + drill bit. Came with free gummy worms, so worth it!

In the Mail:
60lb Carib Sea Sand. I may have gone over board with 60lb, hahaha
Jager 200w heater (going to get a spare too)
Seachem Tidal 110 filter. Backup filtration in case gear dies.

On the shopping list:
Reef Octopus Varios 6 return pump + plumbing supplies
60-80 lbs of dry rock. I'll check out my LFS the next pay check to see what they've got
Bashsea or Reef Octopus skimmer. Looking for one with a DC pump, but I'm open to using one externally
Maxspec 230's with separate controllers. In case one completely fails. I'm also considering Ecotech MP40's but I'm a little worried they'll eat the fish.
Reef breeders Photon V2+ LED light, most likely the 4' model
Digital thermometers
Salt
20-30 gallon QT tank + heater + sponge filter or Seachem Tidal 55.

I ended up just buying lumber and a miter saw to build my own stand since most models seemed really high priced, with a lot of negative reviews about the quality and sturdiness. Apparently you can only get so far with mass produced stands. The stand I'm building will have a small 5" lip on the outer sides of the tank so I can set small items, or even a beer down. The weight is still being supported directly under the tank though. The stand is going to be just over 38" tall.

A few weeks ago I cut up a majority of the lumber, and today I started bolting it together. Here it is upside down:

RziOEbP.jpg

xvTLN8t.jpg

And a bad shot of the tank:
BciWM2b.jpg

Also when I was going through the sump trying to figure out how I would connect an external skimmer, I noticed I was missing a silencer plate! I'm going to call MD tomorrow and see if they can send me one. Maybe that's why they were on sale? Just kidding. Other than that, this thing looks great!

The rest of the weekend I'd like to get the rest of the frame completed, and get the tank drilled. For the stand bottom, I plan to have recessed and inch so it forms a tub. This should give me more wiggle room as far as placing and removing equipment and help prevent water from spilling out onto the floor.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the start of a great build!
Only item a see missing is an ato.

For water spillage in the sump few other items to consider. A siphon break of some kind on the return line and a battery back up for the return pump.

StPeteReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! Check mine out when you get some time, welcome to the DB 80 club

OP
OP
D

DumpInTheSump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the start of a great build!
Only item a see missing is an ato.

For water spillage in the sump few other items to consider. A siphon break of some kind on the return line and a battery back up for the return pump.

Luckily the sump has a built in ATO chamber, and I may just get a small generator since those backup batteries probably add up to the same amount hahaha. We definitely get our outages every so often out here in the Midwest. The Bean Animal style overflow plumbing counts as a siphon break, correct?

Nice build! Check mine out when you get some time, welcome to the DB 80 club

I just did! Looks like we're using a lot of the same brand gear for our builds! I really dig the proportions of the shallow tanks.

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a mp40 and now I have gyre 230s. I recommend the gyres. The 40 is nice but he gyres blanket the tank with flow. I really saw a difference in flow on my 80 gallon once I mad the switch

OP
OP
D

DumpInTheSump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the frame completed, and took a dremel to the screws that managed to pop out the other side.
fDdrDc3.jpg

I started drilling the tank which was a pretty nerve wracking experience for a first timer. Took me 20+ minutes to get a single hole done, and it was starting to get late so I packed it up for the day because it was pretty loud. I'll be getting the 3 remaining holes done tomorrow.
W450YQJ.jpg

I had a mp40 and now I have gyre 230s. I recommend the gyres. The 40 is nice but he gyres blanket the tank with flow. I really saw a difference in flow on my 80 gallon once I mad the switch

Thanks for the advice!

Following. Going 80 g rimless myself!!

Appreciate it!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return line is where you really need to worry.
A simple hole in the pvc below the water line in most cases is enough.

To be sure you can dry test once full and plumbed, turn off the pump see if your sump can hold what dumps back down. I use a simple ball valve on my return. Close it before it overflows if fails test.

Stand is looking good!

OP
OP
D

DumpInTheSump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return line is where you really need to worry.
A simple hole in the pvc below the water line in most cases is enough.

To be sure you can dry test once full and plumbed, turn off the pump see if your sump can hold what dumps back down. I use a simple ball valve on my return. Close it before it overflows if fails test.

Stand is looking good!

Thanks for the advice!

So my last post was pretty short on account of me being a little hungover thanks to the Omaha Beerfest that rolled through town, and having to trouble shoot electrical problems starting Tuesday of last week. The problem has been a long standing one, where an AFCI breaker would trip if we started vacuuming or using another hefty appliance. Normally we can reset the breaker, but not this time. I unplugged everything and it still wouldn't work. Replacing the breaker didn't resolve the problem either. Turns out a couple of the outlets had some shoddy wiring going on, and fixing this allowed us to reset it, but it still trips for some reason. We're going to be having and electrician come out to inspect it.

Here's the drilled tank:
jIZ6IQI.jpg
jIZ6IQI.jpg

First two holes took about an hour each on the account of me not going full bore on the drill speed. I remember reading about others experiences saying it took about 10 minutes per hole so I hit up youtube for a quick refresher, saw what I was doing wrong, then got the remaining return holes measure and drilled in about 30 minutes. If I were to do it again, I'd definitely invest in a drill guide. When I was drilling the second hole for the overflow, the drill bit went for a ride and skipped off the back making some nasty marks along the way. It's not the end of the world, but it could have been prevented.

There was a scare when my measuring tape fell off, and landing on the inside of the glass. That was a pretty boneheaded mistake, and luckily it didn't destroy the tank.

My last order from Marine Depot arrived with 60lb of sand, a HOB filter and 200W heater. The next round of gear will be pvc piping and fittings, but I still need to draft up how I'll be putting everything together in that regard.

Finally, even though I've had my sump for a couple of months, MD had no problem with sending me the missing silencer plate for the sump. Kudos for that.

OP
OP
D

DumpInTheSump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the setup now:

l97m1Lr.jpg

Decided to go with a Current USA eflux 1900GPH return and Aquamaxx FC-180 skimmer. Saved a few bucks going with these instead of the originally planned equipment. For the flow pumps, I'll be going with 2x eflux 2100pgh pumps with the controller instead of the maxspect gear. Again, to save a little money.

I'll finish up the plumbing to the sump this week or next by routing the flex tubing from the hard plumbed return lines. We thought the power issue sorted itself out, but that wasn't the case as it tripped this morning. On the plus side, we think we know which outlet is the problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DumpInTheSump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I ended up having to move so I had to tear down the tank before it was completed, and 'll be moving again in about 6 months. I still very much want to get a tank started, but i think I'm going to do something smaller and more portable.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back