New to me 65g Slow Build

HOBtx79

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 26, 2019
Messages
53
Reaction score
65
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after years and years out of the SW hobby, I am getting back in. I tried in 2019 but life had other plans and never got to setup up the tank I got then and sold it. This time the first tank that I was going to buy was going to be delivered by the seller but they took higher offer after agreeing to mine. So now the tank that was delivered today. 65G 36x18x25. So came with tank, stand, open top canopy, Reef Octopus classic 110-SSS, 3/4' Sea Swirl, Blue Line 40 return, Eshopps sump (unknown model). Now the not so bad is that I need to redo the plumbing to and from the sump.

All for $200

This WILL be a SLOW build.

20240531_143243.jpg 20240531_143413.jpg 20240531_154303.jpg
 
Last edited:
So a few things, 1 or 2 LED lights (will eventually be a mixed reef)? Stick with the blueline40 external pump or replace with internal?
 
So no responses in regards to lights or the blueline 40...

So the sump seems to be either a GEN 1 or 2 of the Eshopps ADV 200/300. The section behind the black is originally designed for the Fuge.... Use it as such or just use the section next to the skimmer where the eggcrate pieces usually go?
 
Last edited:
So a few things, 1 or 2 LED lights (will eventually be a mixed reef)? Stick with the blueline40 external pump or replace with internal?
I would go with an internal pump. Not too expensive and it won't leak. 2 smaller LEDs will give ya better coverage than one larger one in most cases. Keep the shadowing to a minimum
 
I would go with an internal pump. Not too expensive and it won't leak. 2 smaller LEDs will give ya better coverage than one larger one in most cases. Keep the shadowing to a minimum
Thank you for the input. I was leaning towards switching to an internal pump. The blueline is old from what I can tell and has sat for years. I will just need to cap off the bulkhead that went from the sump to the blueline.
 
Thank you for the input. I was leaning towards switching to an internal pump. The blueline is old from what I can tell and has sat for years. I will just need to cap off the bulkhead that went from the sump to the blueline.
I think external pumps are rare these days. My first saltwater system bought used came with and external pump (that leaked)
 
Very long time, but am back, the original tank did not hold water it was manufactured in 2004. Got a new 65 to replace it. In regards to the above pics that show the sump. What is the best way to seal off the whole that was drilled for the external pump as it currently sits it leaks from there. I would prefer to remove as I have an internal return pump.
 

Attachments

  • sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 20
Small update. Got the question above taken care of. All plumbing installed, Sand, Rock, and RO/DI saltwater is in, I did put a decent amount of ruble/small dry rock in the fuge section of the sump. It will run like this until mid August since I will be going out of town in 4 days and won't be back till August 9th. My wife will be trained on toping the tank/sump off while I am gone and yes with RO/DI water.

1 thing I wish I had done was paint the back of the tank.
 
Last edited:
99a15523-06f2-4f49-ac85-c3481322446f.jpg

The rock on the far right is not touching the bigger pile of rock just to the left of it. Yes I will be swapping out the powerhead for a new one and the heater will go to the sump. I will also be adding a second heater for redundancy.
 
I went out of town 4 days after previous post for a month. The rock used was dead rock that was once live. I used it as the ammonia source, and right before leaving I added beneficial bacteria. With this I came home to a cycled tank. I had my son top off with RO/DI water when needed. I also ordered additional things for the tank to add once I got home. ATO system, battery operated air pumps, and such.

So as it sits I have both heaters in sump, Rock rubble in the fuge section (bought a little 7w light for it), I bought 2 wavemakers to replace the one large one in the above picture. I got the 792gph hygger small wm and the Hygger HG042 DC wm (smaller of the 2 options 2114gph). Trying to figure out the correct placement of them for optimum flow in tank. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new