80g frag tank

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 80g frag tank trigger 39 sump, protein skimmer, calcium reactor, uv, with a few lps, a lot of zoa, and eventually want sps in the tank. The issue I have is with hair algae in the tank. I have 3 clowns and a kole tang in there. I have a few snail and crabs in there now but still have algae in there. What is a good clean up crew for the tank?

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with cuc is they can't fully eradicate hair algae imo

What I recommend to try and control it however is (dosnt have to be all of them)
trochus snails
Lawnmower blenny
An Abalone snail or two

We have a hair algae problem in one of our frag tanks at work and what we have done recently is a 90% water change (leave the weir and sump alone) wipe all the glass, egg crate and scrub coral where needed and it's clean for a few weeks but I think to eradicate it we would have to clean the weir and sump aswell

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 80g frag tank trigger 39 sump, protein skimmer, calcium reactor, uv, with a few lps, a lot of zoa, and eventually want sps in the tank. The issue I have is with hair algae in the tank. I have 3 clowns and a kole tang in there. I have a few snail and crabs in there now but still have algae in there. What is a good clean up crew for the tank?
Mexican.turbos

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has this tank been set up? I thought kole tangs would eat hair algae. I had one a while back that did.

OP
OP
scabbedwings616

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has this tank been set up? I thought kole tangs would eat hair algae. I had one a while back that did.
Kole has been in there for a while. I’ll take a picture of the algae that is in the tank as I think it’s hair but could be turf algea. Also, what would be recommend for aptasia? There are a few that are in there and I’ve been using aptasia x on them but see it as they might get worse in the tank

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole has been in there for a while. I’ll take a picture of the algae that is in the tank as I think it’s hair but could be turf algea. Also, what would be recommend for aptasia? There are a few that are in there and I’ve been using aptasia x on them but see it as they might get worse in the tank
Berghia nudibranchs

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back