82 degree tank. How warm is too warm?

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started up a BioCube 29 and long story short, I can’t get the dang thing to cool down below 82 degrees. And I have two more ideas that I am going to try but if I cannot lower the tanks temperature is it going to be too hot for fish and coral? Wanting to set up a mixed reef tank with fish.
I run my tank at 82. No issues.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Started up a BioCube 29 and long story short, I can’t get the dang thing to cool down below 82 degrees. And I have two more ideas that I am going to try but if I cannot lower the tanks temperature is it going to be too hot for fish and coral? Wanting to set up a mixed reef tank with fish.
As temperature increases, dissolved oxygen decreases and increases the metabolism of fish as well as contributing to algae blooms in some cases. This would be the max allowable for me on temperature.
You can safely cool tank down if needed by filling 4 ziplock bags with water and freeze them. Place one in the sump until ice has melted. Take out another and place thawed one back in freezer and repeat as necessary

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have added: heck I had to run my tanks at 82F out west; MH bulbs and elec bill besides...the house felt cold walking in from 112F outdoors
...anyway the thing with warm temps above 83F , all it takes is one big dead mushy invert.....the ole tank fast death spiral...

OP
OP
3000kelvin

3000kelvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clipped two small pieces of 1/2” tubing and used them as hood props. That got my temp down to 75.4. I think at this point I’m going to get something more stiff at Home Depot like rigid tubing and use that to prop the hood up for air. Will also supplement with some sort of screen over the top or around the gap to prevent future residents from jumping to their death.

Attachments

• 6D1B1470-E5AC-4911-8C59-C58CD7A69501.jpeg
    6D1B1470-E5AC-4911-8C59-C58CD7A69501.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
3000kelvin

3000kelvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth, I had a similar issue with my RSM 130D, also hooded. I was able to reduce temp switching the factory AC pump (35watts) to a DC pump.

Well, I think my pump was the culprit.

I ordered a variable return pump from Amazon because I wanted to reduce the return pump's flow a bit. I didn't think there was any issue with the stock pump. I swapped pumps last night and propped my hood open to cool the tank overnight. Today, I ran the lights, kept the hood closed, reinstalled my heater set for 79 and when I came home, the tank was holding steady at 80.2 degrees.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0

I ordered a variable return pump from Amazon because I wanted to reduce the return pump's flow a bit. I didn't think there was any issue with the stock pump. I swapped pumps last night and propped my hood open to cool the tank overnight. Today, I ran the lights, kept the hood closed, reinstalled my heater set for 79 and when I came home, the tank was holding steady at 80.2 degrees.
Glad to hear that. I will never run an AC return pump again. The ability to dial in the flow without ball valves, less heat, and less energy are great!

sandybottom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Awesome, glad you found it!. I also totally get the need for a hood which is what drove my search for the cause/s

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back