8gal AIO Nano Macroalgae & Clown Build

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

Excited to share my first saltwater build, my 8gal AIO clown tank. I scored the complete setup for $100 on marketplace and am so excited to build the tank of my dreams.

My background is in high-tech freshwater planted aquariums, so while I’m not a beginner aquarist by any means, I’m new to marine tanks. I‘m excited to take on the challenge of a micro algae dominant tank. I plan to get some soft corals and maybe even LPS in there, maybe. The main goal right now is get the tank stable and make adjustments as I go along.

Today is a big day! I ordered an array of supplies and they arrive later today. The tank is of an unknown age (got it from an office that was just trying to get rid of it), but it appears to be cycled and is not reading any ammonia. Based on the fact that the clowns are paired, there is excess detritus, and bare rock is covered in what appears to maybe be diatoms, the tank probably isn’t brand new. I would assume it has been up a few months, if not more. I named the clowns “Pinky & The Brain.” (Though I’m aware the larger clown is female xD)

My goal right now is to get parameters stable, and dial everything in. Right now I’ve just had the tank running without any light for three weeks. The clowns are seemingly happy. I did a large water change and manual removal of a ton of detritus the first week, then yesterday did a 10% water change. Using reef crystals (not really sure if I like them, might switch brands but I figure I should get the tank dialed in before switching).

Here’s the plan:

• Re-organize power strips, cords and use label maker for labeling each cord.
  • Set up maintenance schedule on phone app Aquaramate
  • Dose galaxy pods and leave pump and light off for rest of the day
  • Switch out old pump for new nano pump (110gph)
  • Set up nano Kessil A80
  • Set up Fluval plant light 3.0
  • Set up DIY 4 quart ATO (gravity fed)
  • Get jug and tubing set up on dosing pump for all-for-reef
  • Testing!! Nitrate, Phos, Ph, alkalinity, salinity, calcium, magnesium, etc (Hanna checkers & high quality Red Sea and other brand tests, not API)
  • Set up temperature controller
  • Use calculators to estimate dosing
  • Dose coralline algae juice
  • Dose Microbacter 7
Soon: Add macroalgae, branching coralline, & snails (arriving Friday)

I also have nitrogen, phosphate and iron additives if the algae needs a boost (probably will). I’ll test my nitrate and alkalinity daily to see what trends develop.

I also have live phytoplankton to dose to the pods.

And I’m going to experiment with running two lights - so that the algae will be happy in the 6500 kelvin range and corals in the 10,000-20,000. Might be overkill but I’m always a bit “extra” so it works for me! Fluval will be at 2% power and is controllable via phone, and I’ll ramp it up slowly over a few weeks. The kessil I’ll have come on and off via timer for just a few hours daily at its lowest setting. And then ramp up. In theory I’m hoping this will work but I truly have no idea. Guess we will find out!!

So, I’ll let you all know how it goes!!

I’ll post what I do as I go along if I remember to take pictures. Here’s the tank in its current state.

IMG_6518.jpeg

Thanks all

OP
OP
C

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update!

-lights installed
-temp thermostat installed
-dosed microbacter7
-dosing 1.5ml all-for-reef daily
-wires/cables organized
-added 4 snails!
-added 4 species of macroalgae
-added 1 jar galaxy pods
-dosing phytoplankton daily
-feeding frozen, and pellet w/ selcon
-dosed 1 bottle purple helix coraline algae
-testing!

Parameters on Wednesday:
33.4 ppt salinity
10.2 dkh
7.54 pH
25ppm nitrate
0.15ppm phosphate
1290ppm magnesium
400ppm calcium

Parameters Friday right before adding Macroalgae and snails:
34.1ppt salinity
9.8dkh
7.82 pH
5ppm nitrate
? Phos
? Mag
? Calcium

Really curious as to why my dkh bumped down. Trying to slowly increase salinity. Also why my nitrates very suddenly dropped is a mystery to me. Hmm. I did a small (10%) water change so maybe that’s why.

Anyways we shall see if the addition of the Macroalgae starts to increase my pH (fingers crossed) and alkalinity, calcium and mag consumption begins. I’ll dial in the all for reef to make sure they’re getting what they need. I’ll also dose nutrients to the algae if they bottom out my nitrate and phosphate. Just a game of balance, now! Fun!

IMG_6602.jpeg

OP
OP
C

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are going great!!

Brought up the light intensity and diatoms are blooming. Seeing new growth on the Macroalgae! Fish and snails are active & happy. Dosing all-for-reef, microbacter7 and ocean magyk daily. Found a tiny hitchhiking coral which caught me by surprise. So cool!

Parameters are staying where I want them although my dKH is borderline high & nitrate & phos need to come down. Might switch to a different salt.

11 dKH
8.1 pH
35 ppt salinity
18ppm nitrate
.13ppm phos
430 calcium
1280 mag

Thanks for looking.

IMG_6655.jpeg
IMG_6633.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are going great!!

Brought up the light intensity and diatoms are blooming. Seeing new growth on the Macroalgae! Fish and snails are active & happy. Dosing all-for-reef, microbacter7 and ocean magyk daily. Found a tiny hitchhiking coral which caught me by surprise. So cool!

Parameters are staying where I want them although my dKH is borderline high & nitrate & phos need to come down. Might switch to a different salt.

11 dKH
8.1 pH
35 ppt salinity
18ppm nitrate
.13ppm phos
430 calcium
1280 mag

Thanks for looking.

IMG_6655.jpeg
IMG_6633.jpeg
Cool you found a hitchhiker coral!

OP
OP
C

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is going well!

About two weeks ago my nitrate and phosphate bottomed out 0.0, which isn’t totally surprising. Macroalgae is starting to turn pale and not growing as rapidly.

My little coral is growing!

Fish are happy as ever and so are the snails and one hermit crab.

Nuisance algae has been a problem and coating the glass if I go even a day or two without scraping the glass. Annoying.

I just moved homes and am letting the tank settle into the new environment. C02 must be higher in this new house cause my ph won’t go over 7.8 (super annoying).

Alk is on the high side of 11.5 and calcium and mag are awesome, 445 and 1380 respectively. I have a calcifying halimeda algae and it is literally growing like a weed. It’s really cool to see the new growth turn from white to green.

I started dosing neo phos and neo nitro today to get my levels up and not stall the macro growth anymore. Dosing a little bit of TM carbon dosing (plus NP) but not sure if it’s doing anything.

Organized the rats nest of cords I had going and am happy with the result. Upgraded to a nice titanium heater with an INKBIRD thermostat and it’s been awesome. So happy I upgraded - the thermostat actually keeps the temperature at the exact temperature I set it to. Who’d have thought??

That’s about it! Hopefully I’ll start seeing some coraline algae soon and get some more corals in.. I think I want to go for some LPS. There’s not a single quality local fish store within a hundred miles of me but I’ll be visiting Portland soon so I’ll maybe pick up a new coral soon.

Until next time,

Charlie

IMG_6936.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back