SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
There’s always one free market guy who shows up lol

Mushroom vs Ferrari...got it!

Antique road show begs to differ haha; “Just because it’s rare doesn’t me it’s expensive.”
TBO the price is only what somebody else is willing to pay. it is worthless if nobody will pay for it... being that it is rare does not make it expensive.. the desire to own it for some collectors does :)

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBO the price is only what somebody else is willing to pay. it is worthless if nobody will pay for it... being that it is rare does not make it expensive.. the desire to own it for some collectors does :)
That goes back to the "More money than sense" thing.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be on the level for a moment, I have no problem with a $9K Mushroom or a $25K fish (Peppermint Angel) being offered for sale. If someone wants it and can afford to buy it without leaving their kids to go barefoot, that’s a personal choice. Now if ALL the nice corals and nice fish price people out— the ‘average’ person wanting to enjoy the hobby— that would be troubling. E.g., keep your eye on the prices for a Yellow Tang.

OP
OP
J

JohnTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally thought it may have been a typo because the other mushrooms listed on the SBB site are between $200-$600. When I saw the $9000 price tag it took me by surprise!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200.gif
bruce campbell hello GIF

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't wwc og bounce originally sell for 10k? One of them did i think I for sure remember reading about one.
This one is by far in a whole different universe.
I get that collector corals aren't for everyone.
People have to understand that rarity as well as growth, ability to naturally propagate in contained systems all plays into it all.
All shrooms are not created equal. Sometimes you get super lucky like @The Camaro Show can probably attest to that are just plain epic and drop babies more frequently. Some grow slower, some rarely or never even drop a baby. Without knowing proven baby making techniques may never produce a baby theres plenty of those threads available on search.
Most collectors just want the piece and don't care.
Just don't see with all that in consideration how or why any collector would undercut himself on getting investment back. Its not even feasible or make sense for that matter.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how a supposedly friendly community starts implying another member is a sucker (dumb) for buying such a thing, which also implies a sponsor is being unethical in his business practices. *But on the other hand you can have a vendor who names the same corals different names every sale, charges double what every other vendor does, and you can only maintain their color if have the specific water chemistry specs they have along with 400 PAR at a color spectrum of 23,438 kelvin..... yet most here call them the "greatest".

stephen a smith stephena GIF by ESPN

Oh, and by the way, a purple monster shroom will look amazing under nearly all reef lighting and normal seawater parameters.

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What would stop someone from buying one of theses rare very exspensive corals and selling the babies for 1/10th the going rate and ruining the market? Nothing.
That's the difference between the Yugo/Ferrari argument. That can't happen.

I have met at least 5 people that made this argument and I have yet to see any of them actually go through with it.

Once they have frags, then it's always about "what is the most they can get out of it".

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and I made about $16k in 8 months of owning my Mythical Corals bounce electus.
No risk, no reward! Props to you ... glad the investment has paid off. Not many people can say that they make money off of a hobby that they love. I don't have the stomach to wager that high but there are plenty of people that will lose that much or more in the stock market or on bitcoin and no one is calling them suckers.

Reactions: LRT

615Bororeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are nice ..9 racks is high specially when the og purple monster was killing that.. but I’m pretty sure that one is dead.. that one is still pretty thou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 81 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back