9 days without food too long?

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last I tried an autofeeder, it was a disaster because my two tanks have 5 and 2 fish in them and the autofeeders either dump too much or essentially nothing.

I have a better auto system now but wondering if 9 days is ok to go without food. I've heard people say 7 is ok, though nears the borderline. Fish are fat and happy and most are not full grown but are by no means waifs. The 5 I've had for 10 months, for example. I can overfeed for a few days before leaving as well.

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the type of fish they would probably survive 10 days pretty easily, but I would try to find some way to feed them while you're away.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do 9 days. If one doesn't make it, it will cause an ammonia spike which will likely kill the others, since they would be hungry and weak, you'd lose everything.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here I freak when on fridays I have to give them 2 rotations of the autofeeder because I work all day and cannot feed them their regular frozen.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would probably survive, but it’s cruel. Feed them at least a few times over the 9 days.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel bad when I miss 1 of the 3 feedings in a day and you want to go 9 days?!?!?!?!??? I would expect things to not go well…. And since you can either set your feeders to feed not enough or to much then why not set them up to feed not enough and at least then fish will get very little is better then 9 days without.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim feeder is reliable and easy to obtain. What about your LFS? Mine provides service from just feeding to full maintenance. What if a pump fries or tank springs a leak while you are gone?

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The “passive” fish in my tanks become aggressive when hungry.

With the Eheim auto feeder I put a piece of scotch tape to hold the plastic food door piece in between the default settings. In an instance where the feeder is only dispensing say 5 pieces, there is an option to have the feeder spin twice to dispense twice the amount. Or you could set the feeder to dispense more times with small amounts of food.

You could also get an idea of how much food will be dispensed by putting the feeder on a table with a plate or paper towel under the feeder and then manually dispensing food by pushing the Eheim button.

Last edited:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The “passive” fish in my tanks become aggressive when hungry.

With the Eheim auto feeder I put a piece of scotch tape to hold the plastic food door piece in between the default settings. In an instance where the feeder is only dispensing say 5 pieces, there is an option to have the feeder spin twice to dispense twice the amount. Or you could set the feeder to dispense more times with small amounts of food.

You could also get an idea of how much food will be dispensed by putting the feeder on a table with a plate or paper towel under the feeder and then manually dispensing food by pushing the Eheim button.
This is exactly what I do but with the Neptune auto feeders. I hold my hand under it and press feed button. Then I decide if it’s enough or to much or if I need to let it spin again a second time. Do this 3,4,5 times and you are good. It also helps to use 1 type of pellet in there so all is same size so feeding are same

Back