9 Month Update on RSR 170 Set Up

Reefer NYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

About 9 months ago I set up my RSR 170. The original build thread is here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-reefer-rsr-170-set-up.711803/

Things have progressed quite a bit and I've attached a video of the tank as of this week. Overall, I have been happy with the development of the tank, but I am still struggling in a number of ways: (1) I really don't see any coraline, (2) I have totally bleached two birdsnest corals, (3) my LPS all appear weak (I have bleached two favia and my acans are recessed), and (4) a brown algae keeps forming on my sand bed.

My levels, as of this morning, are as follows:

Salinity: 1.026
Temp: 80 F
PH: 8.2
Nitrate: 5
Alk: 8.7
Cal: 410
Mg: 1360

Everyone was so supportive when I posted the build thread that I figured I would provide an update. If folks have any helpful advice on my above concerns, I would appreciate that as well.

ALSO, I have been dosing kalkwasser into the ATO. I am happy with the ways it has helped Alk & Calc (without taking much time/a daily dose), but it is a huge pain with the crust that develops--especially on my Tunze top off, which keeps getting its sensor covered. Any better ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_5505.mov
    15.1 MB

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your phosphates?

Are you still only running a single ai prime 16hd? If so, you probably need more light. I run a Hydra 26HD along with 4 T5 bulbs on my reefer 170.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run kalk in my ato on my 170. Make sure you have the ATO discharge tube running into the skimmer chamber. The ATO sensor should be in the return section of the sump. I've had it this way for over a year and no issues. I clean the ATO bucket out every few months but still running the same Tunze pump with no issues.

OP
OP
Reefer NYC

Reefer NYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your phosphates?

Are you still only running a single ai prime 16hd? If so, you probably need more light. I run a Hydra 26HD along with 4 T5 bulbs on my reefer 170.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I am still only running the AI Prime 16. I thought that would be enough for most LPS. Any suggestions on an upgrade? Should I just get another?

Also, I don't know my phosphates and I am sure that is part of the problem. Just bought a test kit.

OP
OP
Reefer NYC

Reefer NYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run kalk in my ato on my 170. Make sure you have the ATO discharge tube running into the skimmer chamber. The ATO sensor should be in the return section of the sump. I've had it this way for over a year and no issues. I clean the ATO bucket out every few months but still running the same Tunze pump with no issues.

Thank you very much. I moves some things around and am hopeful this helps--so far so good!

CenCalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey nice to meet another fellow RSR170 owner. These are all my personal opinions and may or may not work for you how they work for me. If you can go ahead an upgrade to a AI Hydra 32HD, plenty of light for LPS and at full power you can add heavier demand corals. You could indeed add a second AI Prime and possibly get better coverage/spread. Personally I ran the AI Hydra 26HD and had decent success.

Brown algae on sand sounds like just diatoms. I unfortunately can not play the video you posted from my phone. Do not stress about not seeing any coralline algae, with time it will come and since you started with dry rock and sand you need some sort of coralline spores to be introduced into the system for it to spread and cover different parts of the tank. Try introducing a snail from a LFS you find to be covered in coralline and if you really want to gently scrape some of the coralline off of its shell without hurting or damaging it and be sure the scrapings make there way into the tank. Best to do it about your tank. Then just make sure you provide adequate light, cal, alk and you’ll be regretting wanting coralline when your scrapping off of everything you don’t want it on(glass, powerheads, overflow)

How often do you do WC’s and siphon both detritus on display and in sump? As well as filter sock changes? I personally use a bigger micron filter sock and just place filter floss or similar into the sock and replaces the floss and rinse the sock weekly lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back