90 degree elbows in overflow box?

Nardi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I just picked up an aquarium with an overflow box and am wondering why it is plumbed this way?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

20231210_075409.jpg 20231210_075341.jpg 20231210_075355.jpg

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a handful of popular ways to plumb your overflow, mostly with the goal of quieting it down. That appears to be a Bean Animal set up with an extra set of elbows on the main drain for any number of reasons.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it's worth keeping in mind, both as you try to figure out what the last person did as well as when you decide what you're going to do, that everyone has their own opinion on how to do this. Its common to take one of the standard methods and adapt it to your tank. Often, the main driver behind many of the variations is noise. What works for you might cause a lot of gurgling in my setup. The way I fix the gurgling in my tank might result in lots of water splashing into the sump in yours.

But, for what it's worth, I've found that a DC, variable speed return pump is loads easier to dial in so it matches your overflow rate rather than trying to adjust a drain valve to match the pump speed. At least that's been the case for me.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Also, it's worth keeping in mind, both as you try to figure out what the last person did as well as when you decide what you're going to do, that everyone has their own opinion on how to do this. Its common to take one of the standard methods and adapt it to your tank. Often, the main driver behind many of the variations is noise. What works for you might cause a lot of gurgling in my setup. The way I fix the gurgling in my tank might result in lots of water splashing into the sump in yours.

But, for what it's worth, I've found that a DC, variable speed return pump is loads easier to dial in so it matches your overflow rate rather than trying to adjust a drain valve to match the pump speed. At least that's been the case for me.
Great advice.
Love the link you posted.

OP
OP
N

Nardi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much Joe, that did help a lot. I tried googling a bunch of differently worded ways and never came across that link. Very helpful!

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it was done to quiet the drains. So that its not slurping from the surface. Looks similar to what I did, I suggest you leave it

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nardi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it was done to quiet the drains. So that its not sleeping from the service. Looks similar to what I did, I suggest you leave it
Great, will do! Was just curious as all the videos I've watched never had that kind of setup.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty normal older "bean" or "durso" standpipe. It maximixes flow to air during drain and helps prevent glugging. Now a days with multiple drains most just opt for one drain restricted w/ gate valve set to full siphon and secondary as emergency.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back