Problem with Bean Animal Overflow

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this thread but I still consider myself new to the hobby.

My 55 gallon tank has been up for about a year or so. I put in a bean animal overflow box based on the design here, https://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1310585. I have a Hygger pump on my sump which allows me to adjust the flow of the pump. I also have a protein skimmer (I can't recall which brand). It took a little while to get it all dialed in to where the level inside the overflow box was just below the tank water level and the water was flowing steadily over the weir on the box. I've attached a photo of the tank showing the level in the box.

Then . . . the box developed a leak and I replaced it. No problem. Again I dialed in the flow and everything was working fine. However, in the last few days the level in the box will not go below the tank water level. I've tried slowing down the pump, fully opening the valve on the full siphon line. The only way the water level in the tank goes down is if I hold my finger over the air line on the Open Channel line. Then the overflow box will almost empty unless I remove my finger.

I'm not sure what's going on. I haven't changed anything since it was working properly with the new overflow box. Everything is running fine, the box isn't overflowing into the Emergency line. Is this a problem? Any suggestions as to why the level will not go down?

Thank you,
Joe

Tank 6.jpg

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this thread but I still consider myself new to the hobby.

My 55 gallon tank has been up for about a year or so. I put in a bean animal overflow box based on the design here, https://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1310585. I have a Hygger pump on my sump which allows me to adjust the flow of the pump. I also have a protein skimmer (I can't recall which brand). It took a little while to get it all dialed in to where the level inside the overflow box was just below the tank water level and the water was flowing steadily over the weir on the box. I've attached a photo of the tank showing the level in the box.

Then . . . the box developed a leak and I replaced it. No problem. Again I dialed in the flow and everything was working fine. However, in the last few days the level in the box will not go below the tank water level. I've tried slowing down the pump, fully opening the valve on the full siphon line. The only way the water level in the tank goes down is if I hold my finger over the air line on the Open Channel line. Then the overflow box will almost empty unless I remove my finger.

I'm not sure what's going on. I haven't changed anything since it was working properly with the new overflow box. Everything is running fine, the box isn't overflowing into the Emergency line. Is this a problem? Any suggestions as to why the level will not go down?

Thank you,
Joe

Tank 6.jpg
I’ll direct you to the man himself. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
@BeanAnimal

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more pictures including the outlets in the sump might help diagnostics.

That was my first thought also.

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about that. Here's the sump, well, before I finished the final connection on the return line. I can't find one with everything running. I'll go take one and post it in a little while.

Tank 5.jpg

John K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your gate valve is open too wide.

This will prevent the siphon from starting (ie only gravity draining), causing a steady flow into the open channel and an elevated water level in the overflow. Plugging the air hole on the open channel turns that into a siphon bringing the water level in the overflow down….. until it starts flushing over and over.

Try closing that gate valve some and see what happens. If I am understanding this correctly, you should see the water level go up, then the siphon starts and you should be in business

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked for some kind of obstruction in the primary siphon? Blocking the airline in the open channel effectively turns it into a siphon, which is why it quickly drains the box. One of the important features of the BA design.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, need one while it’s running to also check if the siphon is too deep in the sump to purge the air at startup and is air locked.

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I'll give those a try and get back.

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried partially shutting down the gate valve but that didn't do anything. I'm going to take the lower portion of the pvc apart today and see if there's any obstruction. I took the elbow off that is inside the overflow box and couldn't feel anything blocking the flow there. The end of the drain line is about 1 1/2 to 2" below the water level in the sump chamber when the pump is running. Obviously when the pump is off the level in the sump rises. What I think is strange is I haven't changed anything since I installed the new overflow box and when I first installed it, about 2 weeks ago, everything was working fine. It just all of a sudden went into the situation I have now where the level inside the box is the same as the tank.

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took the full siphon line apart and there is no obstruction. I started the pump up again and still have the same situation. I also noticed that when I used to shut the pump off the overflow box would drain all the way down to the bottom of the elbow on the full and open channel. Now it drains only to the bottom of the line coming out of the bulkhead pipe/bushing (see photo). I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Attachments

• Pump off level in tank.jpg
    Pump off level in tank.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Pump off level in sump.jpg
    Pump off level in sump.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 30

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking @ the left picture, the returns are on the left side.
They should drain the tank until there is a siphon break.
I did not see any check valve in the line from the pump in the other pictures.
I would look there to find out why they don't siphon the water back to the sump.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took the full siphon line apart and there is no obstruction. I started the pump up again and still have the same situation. I also noticed that when I used to shut the pump off the overflow box would drain all the way down to the bottom of the elbow on the full and open channel. Now it drains only to the bottom of the line coming out of the bulkhead pipe/bushing (see photo). I'm not sure what to do at this point.

We have only begun to troubleshoot. ::stands tall, chest out::

What happens if you flip the elbow in the box for the trickle drain line until it’s pointed upward? Make the bottom of the lip about even with the top of the siphon elbow.

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well lo and behold the thing just started working again. The overflow box level is below the tank level and all systems are go. I have absolutely no idea what happened. As I said, I took the main drain apart to check for any blockage and seeing none I just put the PVC back together the exact same way it was. It initially filled the overflow box back up and kept running. I had a bunch of things to do in the garage and upon coming back into the house I heard the sucking sound of the drain line not getting enough water. I closed the valve just a little and the overflow tank began to fill. I eased it back to where it was just over the bottom of the pvc line going to the bulkhead and turned the pump up a notch or 2 and everything leveled out. It's been running fine all day. I've got to feed the fish soon so we'll see if it starts back up properly. Report to follow . . .

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess whatever taking the lower sections apart and resetting them did the trick. When the pump shuts down the overflow box drains all the way down to the bottom of the inlet elbow and when it kicks back on I get the correct levels in the box and tank. Thanks everyone for the helpful info.

Joe

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess whatever taking the lower sections apart and resetting them did the trick. When the pump shuts down the overflow box drains all the way down to the bottom of the inlet elbow and when it kicks back on I get the correct levels in the box and tank. Thanks everyone for the helpful info.

Joe

Wait, are the drains outside the tank not glued?

OP
OP
O

OCJoeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sections of PVC below the ball valve are not glued. They're downstream from any pressure so there's no chance of any leaks as far as I know. Everything from the bulkhead to the valve is glued. And everything on the pressure side is glued.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back