90 gal mixed reef

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you think one ap700 would give me sufficient coverage. I hear ppl saying two but I am unsure. I am still really scared to switch my setup being that the dang lights cost so much for one ap

Standard 90, I believe? If it is it's the same as mine 48L x 18W x 24H?
a single ap700 has the capability to cover a 48x24 mixed reef, but you'll need to raise it up to approx 14 to 16 inches over the tank and crank up the intensity to cover that spread. But it appears that you have alot of softies, Lps and a couple sps high in the center, which is perfect. The ap700 should work good for you :)

OP
OP
J

jakeh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1773ca984ea6894acf0099a85e349183.jpg
71e290f4647d762f63b7c2ee2aa902a8.jpg
ap700 update. Love that kessil shimmer

OP
OP
J

jakeh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a single ap700 has the capability to cover a 48x24 mixed reef, but you'll need to raise it up to approx 14 to 16 inches over the tank and crank up the intensity to cover that spread. But it appears that you have alot of softies, Lps and a couple sps high in the center, which is perfect. The ap700 should work good for you :)
Idk man I have it at 100 and 18” over the water and it looks great but not half as bright as t5s. My aquatic life t5 hybrid came with a bad ballast so upset about that and the quality of it it’s kinda junky. What do you think of two ap7s? Overkill? Or should I wait it out with the one

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk man I have it at 100 and 18” over the water and it looks great but not half as bright as t5s. My aquatic life t5 hybrid came with a bad ballast so upset about that and the quality of it it’s kinda junky. What do you think of two ap7s? Overkill? Or should I wait it out with the one
I would wait and get the ballast fixed first. and then see how you feel about it. Lower it to around 16 to 16 1/2 inches off the water. Bear in mind that LED's dont appear as bright as metal halide and t5 bulbs, but they're definitely putting out the intensity. Without the T5's this is the par numbers you should be getting mounted 16 1/2 off the water surface at 18" deep in the tank. So this light definitely has the power.
ap700.png

OP
OP
J

jakeh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait and get the ballast fixed first. and then see how you feel about it. Lower it to around 16 to 16 1/2 inches off the water. Bear in mind that LED's dont appear as bright as metal halide and t5 bulbs, but they're definitely putting out the intensity. Without the T5's this is the par numbers you should be getting mounted 16 1/2 off the water surface at 18" deep in the tank. So this light definitely has the power.
ap700.png

I’m just upset with the quality honestly for 299 I rewired the whole thing and it still wouldn’t work. I was thinking maybe adding a 48 current strip light or the true lumen pro hear of any good news from them?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just upset with the quality honestly for 299 I rewired the whole thing and it still wouldn’t work. I was thinking maybe adding a 48 current strip light or the true lumen pro hear of any good news from them?
I've used the current marine strip light a long time ago. If you're looking for power definitely go with the PRO version. The standard loses par very quickly once the light hits the waters surface. Never used the true lumen. Is aquatic life replacing the balast for you?

OP
OP
J

jakeh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the current marine strip light a long time ago. If you're looking for power definitely go with the PRO version. The standard loses par very quickly once the light hits the waters surface. Never used the true lumen. Is aquatic life replacing the balast for you?

Good tip thanks. Ya saltwater aquarium is replacing it but first I have to send that back then they can send a new one which I’m not that happy about. Hence why I want to just do something else now

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back