90 gallon build finally started!

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! i have always been an aquarium nut but this time i think im finally over freshwater and stepping into the salty world. Glad we have a website with knowledgable people such as this one to help along the way. Im gonna need your alls help on this venture for sure. So i will prob be asking alot of questions in the future.
tank: marineland 90 gallon corner overflow 1.5" durso with 3/4" return 1" bulkheads flowing into a trigger systems ruby 36 sump with a 1-1/4" reverse durso into a reef octopus int150 protein skimmer my return pump is an eheim compact + 3000 plumbed to 1" pvc flowing into a union into two 45 degree elbows
then to a ball valve another couple 45's up to a union and into the tank. i also have a two little fishies gfo reactor im gonna use in the future. my in tank wavemakers are 2 jabeo rw-8's i purchased 2 starfire genesis led lights from reef radiance a couple weeks ago. i built my stand out of 2x4's and oak done all the wood work myself. it was real fun to build the stand had to borrow most saws but it was the first woodworking project ive really ever done. i wanted it so bad nothing was gonna stand in my way not even the lack of craftmans skills i have. haha so how about some pictures of this get up. here ya go and by all means i wanna hear all your alls expertise;)

[URL=http://s565.photobucket.com/user/cheifcatchemall/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6tuzkvw0.png.html][/URL]

and finally some stain!

and some saltwater after years of wanting it i know have begun this journey.

let me know what you all think and whatever advice ya have thanks ill post more as time progresses.
sure hope i did those pics right haha:D

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Yeah, I hate freshwater. Very.......boring imo haha. Tank looks good, look forward to seeing it progress. Be sure to keep adding pictures!

OP
OP
Catchemall

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Yeah, I hate freshwater. Very.......boring imo haha. Tank looks good, look forward to seeing it progress. Be sure to keep adding pictures!
Thanks I agree I was just never satisfied with freshwater it was basically a bandaid to cover up what I really wanted but was always afraid to do and that's a saltwater tank.

OP
OP
Catchemall

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing new yet looked like nitrite may have started to rise but that's about it so far.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates man

OP
OP
Catchemall

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of. My lights are supposed to come in tomar so that's exciting I bought the reef radiance star fire Genesis. As for the tank looks like still have ammonia but my nitrites are rising. I expect the ammonia to start falling off anytime. These Api test kits are hard to read. I'll post some new photos when I get the lights mounted. Still haven't decided yet how I'm gonna do it may bend aluminum and come across the back. Thanks for following along!

OP
OP
Catchemall

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small update. My skimmer has been going haywire from day one I just couldn't seem to get it to stop overflowing. I assumed it was a natural break in process. Well that wasn't the case at all it was trying to get something out of my water I guess it was a mixture from epoxy on a couple rocks along with new silicone and oil residue. But I just kept dumping the cup until it stopped and now it's skimmin like a champ even got a lot quieter. [emoji106][emoji122]

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't run the skimmer while the tank is cycling man. I don't know the direct cause of it but many say that's a no no

OP
OP
Catchemall

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yea I have the lights. They look real nice I played around with them and the app. The app is pretty cool. Not sure how I'm gonna hang them yet. Thought I may make a couple frames at work similar to this
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1445820642.876866.jpg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good man. What's the next step?

OP
OP
Catchemall

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'll keep checking the water this week this is my fourth week cycling the water has tested good for a week now ill do a water change this weekend and add a small fish or two and a small clean up crew to get started. Let that run for a month or so. And add from there. I think I got the leds and app figured out. Thanks to reef radiance they've walked me thru it all. Good customer service quick to respond back to my emails.
Thanks for taggin along. More to come.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up man, how's it coming

OP
OP
Catchemall

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome rechecked water again last night
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1446661839.710689.jpg

On a do a water change tonight and setup a quarantine tank and get a couple fish to start off with sometime between now and the weekend! Woop woop.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome rechecked water again last night
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1446661839.710689.jpg

On a do a water change tonight and setup a quarantine tank and get a couple fish to start off with sometime between now and the weekend! Woop woop.
Cool man, water is looking good. Be sure to posts more pics.

OP
OP
Catchemall

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definaltley will. I'll get my good camera out when I get some life in there. Thanks for following along.

Back