90 Gallon Standard Stand

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I'm trying to gauge is the worth in re-setting up my 90 gallon tank. I've had that for two years in the past. I did a Fluval 13.5 just sitting on a table. And recently I've done a 29g standard with a generic stand. The issues I've seen with standard tank stands, is the limited workspace inside. Both in my 90 and my 29, I noticed that depending on how you plumb them, the sump has to sit pretty much dead center in the stand. This makes working inside of my 29 very difficult. There's such limited space due to the plumbing, that I'm fed up with trying to work under there. I was going to upgrade to a Red Sea Reefer (and I still probably will), but my wife wants me to consider setting my 90g back up. I told her the issue with that one isn't the limited work space beneath; but the fact that the sump usually needs to sit dead center beneath so that you can reach all compartments (thanks to the small doors on those stands). This leaves a lot of space on either side of the sump unused, because it can't be reached.

So here's where this post comes in. Red Sea Reefers and Waterboxes have these AMAZING stands, where the doors open to fully expose the interior. It (IMO) makes working inside of them amazing. My question is why can't we get the same thing with the doors on standard tank stands? What about these Reefer/Waterbox stands makes them so structurally sound, that they basically don't need a front. And is it possible to replicate that design for a 90g standard tank?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always build your own stand if you can diy or feel like it. I've considered building a new stand for my 75 for almost the exact reasons you stated. For me hight under the stand is also an issue.

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always build your own stand if you can diy or feel like it. I've considered building a new stand for my 75 for almost the exact reasons you stated. For me hight under the stand is also an issue.
Glad to see I'm not the only one flustered by the space issue...and at the same time...not glad that you suffer from it too. But nooooooooooo. I DIY a LOT of things, but when it comes to 80 gallons of water potentially being dumped into my living room because the stand wasn't structurally sound enough to hold the weight, that's a chance I'm not willing to take. ;Facepalm I DID consider trying to find someone to build it for me, but I don't know anyone around where I am.

Back