90 Gallon stock list

guidedbyechoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time no post! I have a 90 gallon mixed reef with softies and LPS.

My current list is :
Azure Damsel
Royal Gramma
Solar wrasse

Fish I'd like to add:
Orange spot file fish (want it but might be too docile with the wrasse lineup)
Midas Blenny
Melanurus Wrasse
Coral Beauty or Flame Angel
Pink Margin wrasse or Cirrhilabrus isosceles
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
Purple Tang

I understand that other fairy wrasse might be off the table with the Solar. I have other fish I'd like to add to the list(quoiyi parrotfish), but think that's a pretty well stocked tank as is. Screened lids are on top of the tank.

Are there any other considerations to look into?

OP
OP
G

guidedbyechoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's a list in progress. File fish probably won't get added. I can also live without the fairy and or flaher wrasse on this tank. I wanted a yellow Tang,but my girlfriend wants the purple. I told her she can buy it. She agreed. I'm not a Tang fan so I want one for utility. It will be the last fish added.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that a 90’s a bit small for a Zebrasoma Tang unless it’s stocked very lightly. I know a guy on here who’s kept a Yellow in a 90 for 16 years and it’s doing well but he only has 5 other fish. For a 90 I’d still suggest a Kole, Tomini, Square Tail or White Tail Bristletooth and should be fine in there long term. Zebrasoma ideally need 100+ gallon tanks, 4ft is fine with some extra width IMO but 5ft and more even better.

Out of your list I’d do:

1 of the Tangs I mentioned

1 Midas Blenny

1 Melanurus Wrasse

1 fairy wrasse / flasher wrasse (Solar is one of the more aggressive of the Fairies according to @evolved so not sure how the Pink Margin / Pin Tail would do)

1 dwarf angel (CB or Flame)

Add a Clownfish pair, maybe a shrimp / goby pair and you’re stocked very well.

Orange Spot Filefish are not successfully kept by most people, and the Parrotfish have very specialized diets plus get too big.

TBH if I were you, instead of a standard 90 I’d go for a custom 90 for the extra length and maybe width even if it means sacrificing height. For example if I were you I would have gone for a 56” x 22” x 18” tank for a total of 92 gallons. If you don’t mind a more narrow aquascape maybe even 60” x 20” x 18” (89.16 gallons).

I’d plan on making maybe a Bristletooth Tang and the dwarf angel as the “centerpiece” fish for the tank, though color wise the White Tail, Square Tail and Kole have flashier colors than the Tomini. I heard Tomini Tangs get better looking with age. Their fins change from a light orange to a deeper orange and they start growing spots on their face. All are nice fish though.

A Coral Beauty or Flame Angel would be good centerpiece for your tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

guidedbyechoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas, melanurus are must haves. Really want an angel. Any other good algae control fish that are more attractive? The Tang is not for me. Lol

Already have the 90 up for almost a year. Will do at least a 180 when I move into a house. Want a at least a 300 before I get a parrot.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas, melanurus are must haves. Really want an angel. Any other good algae control fish that are more attractive? The Tang is not for me. Lol

Already have the 90 up for almost a year. Will do at least a 180 when I move into a house. Want a at least a 300 before I get a parrot.
You could try a coral beauty angel. They will eat some algae.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I had one and it just ate copepods off the rocks.
Each one is individual. I believe they are omnivores; in some videos ive watched (for research i want one when i upgrade to my 65g) people have said they they will go around picking algae off the rocks and stuff, but they also need meaty foods, so who knows. Copepods are a delicious treat for all fish though so that would explain that XD. I added pods when I was about to get a mandarin and my clowns probably ate half of them when I added them to the tank XD

OP
OP
G

guidedbyechoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to see if I can locate a purplish looking Cole Tang. I would just get the purple but I can't upgrade tanks until I move into a house.

OP
OP
G

guidedbyechoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The girlfriend thinks the Kole tang is cute if we can find a purplish one. Going with the midas, malanurus and Coral Beauty. Not going to add clowns(not a fan) and going to skip the gobie/shrimp as suggested because of the mel.

Maybe a pair of firefish, but I don't really think I need them since they don't do a job. I'll revisit adding the fish from my original list minus the filefish when I can get a bigger tank. That way I can add more wrasse and either another tang or a rabbitfish.

OP
OP
G

guidedbyechoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now that I have stock sorted order is the next consideration.

Current stock *:
Biota Azure Damsel*
Royal Gramma*
Solar Wrasse*
Melanurus Wrasse
Midas Blenny
Coral Beauty
Kole eye tang (of the purplish variety) This one probably varies do to collection location

The only two I'm debating the order is the blenny and the wrasse last time I had those two the midas went in first. Midas are extremely hard to find lately so that is my reasoning for the swap.

Back