90 gallon stocking?

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon aquarium and I want to stock it with a bunch of smaller fish and tangs. I’ll be putting the yellow/ kole tang in last and they will be juveniles. I got the tank used and it has a 5 inch blue tang(which I might trade for a 2-3 inch one), a 4 inch foxface who is very chill, and a fairy and checkerboard wrasse. I know the checkerboard can get too big and he is 4-5 inches right now but I didn’t have a say in any of these fish bc they came with the tank. Here is my list I want(can skip out on hawk fish just thought it was pretty cool):

25D4BCBB-5DB2-4619-8FCB-B422CCDF3B90.jpeg
don’t flame me like Facebook did lol. I’m a total beginner

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s too much livestock for a 90 gallon tank. You’re going to have serious nitrate issues without extreme export measures. Ditch the tangs, except for the one kole or a similar bristletooth tang. There are other issues in there, but sadly I don’t have time to break it down right now. I’m sure others will get to it.

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your time. I know it is hard and we all want it all at once, but that’s now how this game works. Take your time plan and come up with a game plan. You may have to add here and there and get what you want over (potential) years. Don’t rush. You may decide on something different over the course. We know you have an idea which is awesome! But plans change. Maybe add a fish or two... see how they coexist and go from there. Sometimes you get a 6 line wrasse that’s great! Most times you don’t. (That’s an example I don’t think 6line was on your list. And shouldn’t be they are jerks) anyway good luck! Hope this helps :)

OP
OP
wtusa1783

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your time. I know it is hard and we all want it all at once, but that’s now how this game works. Take your time plan and come up with a game plan. You may have to add here and there and get what you want over (potential) years. Don’t rush. You may decide on something different over the course. We know you have an idea which is awesome! But plans change. Maybe add a fish or two... see how they coexist and go from there. Sometimes you get a 6 line wrasse that’s great! Most times you don’t. (That’s an example I don’t think 6line was on your list. And shouldn’t be they are jerks) anyway good luck! Hope this helps :)
Yes this would be over a long period of time. I would get a few peaceful fish at first and add one every few weeks or more. And the tangs would be last of course

OP
OP
wtusa1783

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s too much livestock for a 90 gallon tank. You’re going to have serious nitrate issues without extreme export measures. Ditch the tangs, except for the one kole or a similar bristletooth tang. There are other issues in there, but sadly I don’t have time to break it down right now. I’m sure others will get to it.
Ok. I plan on stocking very slowly. The tangs would be last. Could I do a juvie yellow and kole? What tangs would you recommend

Ducagoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my 2 cents... The blue Tang you have (assuming it's an atlantic blue) will out grow that tank within a year or so, they need long swimming areas and will become aggressive or stressed and eventually die. Trade that one in if possible. They yellow will eventually as well. The kole would be a good option, or a dif bristletooth. But only one and only one Tang total. The foxface will be close, if it's a one spot should be ok, a lo and it might get a little big keep up on keeping it well fed. The wrasse will probably be ok also. Hawks can get aggressive maybe skip that. Pick one of the bottom goby, either the watchman or the diamond again only one they can fight probably not enough territory for each. Starry is fine cool fish that's fine. Cardinals are fine, Gramma is fine but possibly issue with firefish so pick one. Clown pair is fine. So total I would say, kole Tang, foxface, starry, 2 clowns, one wrasse, a bottom goby, a Gramma or firefish, a cardinal and that's going to be a good mix. Once the Tang and foxface get big they make a lot of waste so that adds a big bioload with just those 2. I have a 90 with a tomini, coral rabbit, 2 clowns, 3 pj cardinals, a yellow wrasse and a bi color blenny and it is active and basically full. I have lots of live rock (100lb) a refugium and a large skimmer and I still dose some nopox to help. Hope that helps some. And go slow, wait a few weeks in-between each fish to let the tank bacteria catch back up, feed less then you want to (lol), and test frequently esp for the first few months to get an idea of how things are going, if nitrates are rising quickly between water changes feed less, wait longer to see if you're tank can handle more fish. If your levels even out with your maintenance schedule then add another. Going to fast will end up stressing and/or killing fish. Good luck!

OP
OP
wtusa1783

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my 2 cents... The blue Tang you have (assuming it's an atlantic blue) will out grow that tank within a year or so, they need long swimming areas and will become aggressive or stressed and eventually die. Trade that one in if possible. They yellow will eventually as well. The kole would be a good option, or a dif bristletooth. But only one and only one Tang total. The foxface will be close, if it's a one spot should be ok, a lo and it might get a little big keep up on keeping it well fed. The wrasse will probably be ok also. Hawks can get aggressive maybe skip that. Pick one of the bottom goby, either the watchman or the diamond again only one they can fight probably not enough territory for each. Starry is fine cool fish that's fine. Cardinals are fine, Gramma is fine but possibly issue with firefish so pick one. Clown pair is fine. So total I would say, kole Tang, foxface, starry, 2 clowns, one wrasse, a bottom goby, a Gramma or firefish, a cardinal and that's going to be a good mix. Once the Tang and foxface get big they make a lot of waste so that adds a big bioload with just those 2. I have a 90 with a tomini, coral rabbit, 2 clowns, 3 pj cardinals, a yellow wrasse and a bi color blenny and it is active and basically full. I have lots of live rock (100lb) a refugium and a large skimmer and I still dose some nopox to help. Hope that helps some. And go slow, wait a few weeks in-between each fish to let the tank bacteria catch back up, feed less then you want to (lol), and test frequently esp for the first few months to get an idea of how things are going, if nitrates are rising quickly between water changes feed less, wait longer to see if you're tank can handle more fish. If your levels even out with your maintenance schedule then add another. Going to fast will end up stressing and/or killing fish. Good luck!
Thanks! Yes I expect this to take many months. Why wouldn’t you recommend the 2 gobies? I asked about having 2 of them in the same tank and people seemed to think it was fine. Just curious

Ducagoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yes I expect this to take many months. Why wouldn’t you recommend the 2 gobies? I asked about having 2 of them in the same tank and people seemed to think it was fine. Just curious
Most sand dwelling gobies make a home and then protect it an thier territory around the home. The area is normally 2-3 feet around the home so two might fight over some of the territory. Similar fish don't normally like competition. Plus they sift things out of the sand to eat and could starve out the other. If they both find homes away from each other maybe but you can't control that.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ninty gallons is too small to support many active swimmers. I know people hate the tang police but you have to plan how many active swimmers your going to have share the same 4ft of swimming room and it is not just the tangs, every one of those fish is a potential problem in that environment.
I never go with more than 3 active swimmers on my 90 and your list has 7. I would stick with 1 tang, the foxface and instead of a dwarf angel consider a Genicanthus angel. They are totally reef safe and far more chill than tangs. I also agree that more than one sand Goby on a 90 is an unneeded risk.
I know people on FB can be awful, but they are right to be concerned and as you say you are new and it is always best to start with a low bar and press the limits once you know how to mitigate the risks.

OP
OP
wtusa1783

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ninty gallons is too small to support many active swimmers. I know people hate the tang police but you have to plan how many active swimmers your going to have share the same 4ft of swimming room and it is not just the tangs, every one of those fish is a potential problem in that environment.
I never go with more than 3 active swimmers on my 90 and your list has 7. I would stick with 1 tang, the foxface and instead of a dwarf angel consider a Genicanthus angel. They are totally reef safe and far more chill than tangs. I also agree that more than one sand Goby on a 90 is an unneeded risk.
I know people on FB can be awful, but they are right to be concerned and as you say you are new and it is always best to start with a low bar and press the limits once you know how to mitigate the risks.
Ok. What if the tangs are juvies? I see people keep them on tiny tanks when they are small and people say it’s fine as long as they upgrade soon. And yes I know it’s a lot and I was never planning on going and getting all of these fish at once. I want to get the chill ones first and build my way up to a tang

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds to me like your mind is made up and you just want someone to tell you that your plan is fine “as long as they’re small” or some other excuse. Suohhen probably illustrated the points best. Your stock list just isn’t viable or good for the long term health and happiness of the fish. Something I learned about this hobby is that cultivating patience and a willingness to sacrifice what we want for what works is key to saving a lot of sorrow over time.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. What if the tangs are juvies? I see people keep them on tiny tanks when they are small and people say it’s fine as long as they upgrade soon. And yes I know it’s a lot and I was never planning on going and getting all of these fish at once. I want to get the chill ones first and build my way up to a tang
You already have large active swimmers so I wouldn't support adding any juveniles. You say your open to exchanging for juvys, but I also do not advocate for trading in fish as once they are grown and established chances are quite high that they will die from being introduced to a new environment. Beyond that you cannot plan to upgrade to a larger tank unless you already have it setup, pretty much everyone plans to go bigger, and it rarely happens because this hobby is already crazy expensive.
I agree that you seem committed, but believe me I respect that you are willing to ask for help and I know it can be incredibly frustrating seeing so many people with functional tanks that completely break the rules, but just because it works out sometimes doesn't mean it will work all that often in the long run. That is basically the entire lesson in this hobby, everything works sometimes, and nothing works always. I push the limits, I currently have 6 active swimmers on my 90, but only 3 species and at least 5 other good reasons the biggest being that I have one tang and it is a yellow tang.

OP
OP
wtusa1783

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You already have large active swimmers so I wouldn't support adding any juveniles. You say your open to exchanging for juvys, but I also do not advocate for trading in fish as once they are grown and established chances are quite high that they will die from being introduced to a new environment. Beyond that you cannot plan to upgrade to a larger tank unless you already have it setup, pretty much everyone plans to go bigger, and it rarely happens because this hobby is already crazy expensive.
I agree that you seem committed, but believe me I respect that you are willing to ask for help and I know it can be incredibly frustrating seeing so many people with functional tanks that completely break the rules, but just because it works out sometimes doesn't mean it will work all that often in the long run. That is basically the entire lesson in this hobby, everything works sometimes, and nothing works always. I push the limits, I currently have 6 active swimmers on my 90, but only 3 species and at least 5 other good reasons the biggest being that I have one tang and it is a yellow tang.
Ok thank you. So just a kole tang? Is this a more realistic list:

F0BD7164-AF93-4BA7-8DD8-F04BF85E1AC2.png

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you. So just a kole tang? Is this a more realistic list:
Definitely a lot more realistic, I personally only keep Genicanthus rather than dwarf angels but it's not a big deal either way. The main thing to be concerned about is the fairy wrasse since they are peaceful active swimmers they don't do well when added later with large establised swimmers and you can always go with a school of a anthias or cardinals if you'd like more fish as they are more passive swimmers.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back