90 Gallon Stocking?

James G abc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Got an awesome deal for a 90 with a 50 sump. I want to setup a reef tank and need help with a stocking list. I have a List and curious if it would work/how I could change it?

Snowflake Moray x1
Melanarus Wrasse x1
Six Line Wrasse x1
Midas Blenny x1
Starry Night Blenny x1
Longnose Hawkfish x1
Tomato Clownfish x2
Royal Gramma x1 (or a group?)
Cleaner Shrimp x4
Tuxedo Urchin x1

Peter C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Got an awesome deal for a 90 with a 50 sump. I want to setup a reef tank and need help with a stocking list. I have a List and curious if it would work/how I could change it?

Snowflake Moray x1
Melanarus Wrasse x1
Six Line Wrasse x1
Midas Blenny x1
Starry Night Blenny x1
Longnose Hawkfish x1
Tomato Clownfish x2
Royal Gramma x1 (or a group?)
Cleaner Shrimp x4
Tuxedo Urchin x1
I think your big issue here is the snowflake moray. They are usually less aggressive than other saltwater morays but it is still an eel. It will likely grow fast and may go after the slower moving small fish like the blennies or gramma once it gets big. If you are dead set on trying it I would try and get big blennies, grammas, and clowns and then at the very end add a BABY snowflake eel. Get that baby eel use to being around fish that are too big to eat when it's a baby and make sure it eats what you feed it without bothering other fish. If you need a BIG Midas blenny Among The Reef has some in stock right now, not sure how ready you are to add fish. I hope this helps!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that the moray could turn inhabitants to dinner.

OP
OP
J

James G abc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your big issue here is the snowflake moray. They are usually less aggressive than other saltwater morays but it is still an eel. It will likely grow fast and may go after the slower moving small fish like the blennies or gramma once it gets big. If you are dead set on trying it I would try and get big blennies, grammas, and clowns and then at the very end add a BABY snowflake eel. Get that baby eel use to being around fish that are too big to eat when it's a baby and make sure it eats what you feed it without bothering other fish. If you need a BIG Midas blenny Among The Reef has some in stock right now, not sure how ready you are to add fish. I hope this helps!
I’m fairly set on the Eel, my LFS gets snowflakes every couple months and when they do they are very very tiny (I’d Guestimate as thick as a pencil) the eel would probably be one of the last additions, At the moment The tank is currently empty and just waiting to be setup. The only fish I have right now are in a smaller tank and it’s a pair of Cinnamon Tomato Clowns (fully grown). What do you think my water change schedule should look like with that stocking list? Also does that stocking list work or is it a bit too much?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes and maintenance will be more than usual due to not being able to keep most clean up crew.

Peter C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fairly set on the Eel, my LFS gets snowflakes every couple months and when they do they are very very tiny (I’d Guestimate as thick as a pencil) the eel would probably be one of the last additions, At the moment The tank is currently empty and just waiting to be setup. The only fish I have right now are in a smaller tank and it’s a pair of Cinnamon Tomato Clowns (fully grown). What do you think my water change schedule should look like with that stocking list? Also does that stocking list work or is it a bit too much?
Stocking list should be okay, add slow and keep a close eye on water parameters. I would recommend tracking your water chems closely at the start and letting things get super established before adding too many fish at once. And if you are set on the eel make sure it's a tiny one. I would also try and get some clean up crew that might be more eel proof. Hermit crabs and snails might be a good call.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back