90 lagoon wrasse/mixed reef heaven.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2016
Messages
3,276
Reaction score
3,098
Location
Kalamazoo, MI
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Recently tore down my large sps system that was slowly crashing and took the opportunity to remodel my office. I was considering getting out of the hobby, but during the teardown I discovered the cause of the slow death of my once beautiful acro system and decided to start a new tank to go along with the remodel.

I wanted to go with a smaller, shallow, simple yet reliable build. I wanted to take my time building the perfect stand instead of some ugly 2v4 thing that I've always done in the past. The stand was a TON of work and my first time striving for a "furniture grade" project so of course it took a long time and lots of redos. I experimented with about 6 different stains on test pieces and none of them worked well with the floor. I finally tried a product that simply accelerates the natural aging look of the wood and my wife and I both loved it.

I will follow this post with system specifics and more photos as time goes on, but I thought I'd get a primer going. Please ignore the mess of the office. The remodel is still a work in progress!

1606579004296.png
 
Wow the color testing paid off. That looks awesome! What was the aging stuff called?

what ended up bringing down the previous tank?

That wrasse is a beauty!
 
Wow the color testing paid off. That looks awesome! What was the aging stuff called?

what ended up bringing down the previous tank?

That wrasse is a beauty!
This is the stuff i used:
1608303164426.png


Reason for slow crash of the old tank appears to be a nori clip magnet that wasn't sealed any more and was very badly corroded.

The wrasse is a beauty, but he's definitely the bully of the tank. It's not too bad though... just some chasing.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new