90 lagoon wrasse/mixed reef heaven.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently tore down my large sps system that was slowly crashing and took the opportunity to remodel my office. I was considering getting out of the hobby, but during the teardown I discovered the cause of the slow death of my once beautiful acro system and decided to start a new tank to go along with the remodel.

I wanted to go with a smaller, shallow, simple yet reliable build. I wanted to take my time building the perfect stand instead of some ugly 2v4 thing that I've always done in the past. The stand was a TON of work and my first time striving for a "furniture grade" project so of course it took a long time and lots of redos. I experimented with about 6 different stains on test pieces and none of them worked well with the floor. I finally tried a product that simply accelerates the natural aging look of the wood and my wife and I both loved it.

I will follow this post with system specifics and more photos as time goes on, but I thought I'd get a primer going. Please ignore the mess of the office. The remodel is still a work in progress!

1606579004296.png

M

Max_nano

View Badges
Wow the color testing paid off. That looks awesome! What was the aging stuff called?

what ended up bringing down the previous tank?

That wrasse is a beauty!

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow the color testing paid off. That looks awesome! What was the aging stuff called?

what ended up bringing down the previous tank?

That wrasse is a beauty!
This is the stuff i used:
1608303164426.png

Reason for slow crash of the old tank appears to be a nori clip magnet that wasn't sealed any more and was very badly corroded.

The wrasse is a beauty, but he's definitely the bully of the tank. It's not too bad though... just some chasing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back