90 off Mainpump

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read somewhere that 90 PVC bends generally don't restrict flow as much as we thought it did at one point. This might have been because the water is allowed to gain speed thus not be impacted by the bend. What about an immediate 90 coming out of a return pump before anything else?

I'm having a space issue in my sump return chamber now that I put in a larger ecotech L2 pump. Due to the pump design the output is only on the side and I actually need it to almost go immediately up. So in order to do that, the pump is actually sitting at an unnatural 45 degree. I would have thought less surface contact at the base = less vibration and noise. I think the vibration is from it hitting the sides of the chamber which takes me back to needing it to sit flat as designed. Again no space.

Anyone have links or flow measurements that could help me decide if I should output immediately to a 90 without impacting flow rate too much? I'm running 70% now and don't really want to push it higher for again noise and wear and tear unnecessarily. Thanks!

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general an elbow equates to roughly 1’ of additional head. If you’re going immediately into a 90 the back pressure may be a little more dramatic.

OP
OP
S

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general an elbow equates to roughly 1’ of additional head. If you’re going immediately into a 90 the back pressure may be a little more dramatic.
Didn’t think of that perspective. What’s the real world impact of this immediate back pressure? Stress to motor and casing?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 46 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 160 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back