OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a FTS today, WC done and 15 asterinas down the drain. MOAR TO GO.

20230226_165747.jpg

20230226_175734.jpg

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read through your thread this morning. Happy the move to the new home went relatively painlessly. I didn’t have much doubt as you put much forethought and preparation into it.

Digging the tank and Tank. Like the change in the scape. Also enjoying all the wildlife and scenery pics.

Here’s to nothing but improvement in the future!

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read through your thread this morning. Happy the move to the new home went relatively painlessly. I didn’t have much doubt as you put much forethought and preparation into it.

Digging the tank and Tank. Like the change in the scape. Also enjoying all the wildlife and scenery pics.

Here’s to nothing but improvement in the future!

Thanks @crusso1993 ! And welcome aboard :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Reef Octopus Classic 90 HOB skimmer upgrade will be here Thurs! Along with some XR15 diffusers!

@Projects with Sam I'll get the skimmate cup measured later this week for a CO2 scrubber lid and we're a go for the shades as well! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

1677542531167.png
nice! omg I'll order my diffuser right now so I can design the XR15 w/diffuser shade! I'm totally forgetting like everything...
Fail Old Man GIF

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Driveway plowed, UPS on the way with my new Reef Octopus 90, XR15 diffusers, and a Hannah Magnesium checker. Hehe!

I need to think more about the new RODI setup here, open to ideas (BRS 4 stage). In the interim, I have about 100 gallons RODI pre-made that I lugged down here to get through before I need to have this unit installed at the new house...

Situation, we moved from a house on city water to a house on a cistern, water is trucked in as we need. We have 7500 gal capacity in our tanks. Water delivered is good quality, but it gets expensive - about $700 to fill the tanks, so I want to limit waste here - AND, since I don't rely on city pressure, if I plumb into my lines, my house water pump will run for the entire time RODI is being made, reducing the lifespan on that staple.

Backup plan is to just plumb into the washer hookups and drain, see how that works out. Otherwise, what do y'all have for ideas?

- Warmer water, say use brutes with heaters? (cisterns at ~54 F year round) How much can this affect output I wonder? (I have more research to do).
- Hot water line off the washer? ..but this requires extra propane (also trucked in) to run the on-demand heater..
- Will the 8800 booster pump pressurize entirely with 0 psi in? Or, return pump from warmed brutes -> booster -> RODI?
- Plumb into the output at the base of the cisterns (natural pressure, but cold temp)?

Mostly thinking out loud, feel free to launch ideas at me!

And city services are nice, but you don't get this in town :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

20230124_172703.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Driveway plowed, UPS on the way with my new Reef Octopus 90, XR15 diffusers, and a Hannah Magnesium checker. Hehe!

I need to think more about the new RODI setup here, open to ideas (BRS 4 stage). In the interim, I have about 100 gallons RODI pre-made that I lugged down here to get through before I need to have this unit installed at the new house...

Situation, we moved from a house on city water to a house on a cistern, water is trucked in as we need. We have 7500 gal capacity in our tanks. Water delivered is good quality, but it gets expensive - about $700 to fill the tanks, so I want to limit waste here - AND, since I don't rely on city pressure, if I plumb into my lines, my house water pump will run for the entire time RODI is being made, reducing the lifespan on that staple.

Backup plan is to just plumb into the washer hookups and drain, see how that works out. Otherwise, what do y'all have for ideas?

- Warmer water, say use brutes with heaters? (cisterns at ~54 F year round) How much can this affect output I wonder? (I have more research to do).
- Hot water line off the washer? ..but this requires extra propane (also trucked in) to run the on-demand heater..
- Will the 8800 booster pump pressurize entirely with 0 psi in? Or, return pump from warmed brutes -> booster -> RODI?
- Plumb into the output at the base of the cisterns (natural pressure, but cold temp)?

And city services are nice, but you don't get this in town :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

20230124_172703.jpg
Lots of questions come to mind and I have a number of ideas in regards to setting this up but no time to throw them at you right now. I will say that, at first thought, a mixing or thermostatic valve off of hot and cold washer lines might be your friend as water at 54 degrees will not be your friend and hugely affect output/efficiency. If I’m not mistaken, water degrees offers the best output.

Water supplied is from where and what it the TDS of it? What is TDS running out of faucet?

A booster pump is not meant to run on its own.

Gotta go but will bounce back later tonight.

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of questions come to mind and I have a number of ideas in regards to setting this up but no time to throw them at you right now. I will say that, at first thought, a mixing or thermostatic valve off of hot and cold washer lines might be your friend as water at 54 degrees will not be your friend and hugely affect output/efficiency. If I’m not mistaken, water degrees offers the best output.

Water supplied is from where and what it the TDS of it? What is TDS running out of faucet?

A booster pump is not meant to run on its own.

Gotta go but will bounce back later tonight.

Thanks @crusso1993 ! No rush!

Thermostatic valve off the washer lines is interesting.. I do want to avoid using on-demand (propane) heat as much as possible, but a little is fine. Probably would make 15 gals/week or so RODI on average, which is 4 hours run time, at the ratio of the last house (which was run on estimated same temp ~54F water regularly).

Potable water is delivered via truck from town into our basement cisterns, I measure TDS at 82ppm out of the faucet here. As a comparison, using my same meter I checked the TDS of my RO stockpile (made at the old house @ 0ppm out) at 1ppm here today.

Also to note, I am planning to install a entire-house UV system here shortly, since we store a lot of water and it can take some time to get through it. This would be in front of the RODI if run off of the washer lines, N/A if we plumb into the bottom of the cisterns for natural pressure.

Lets do this :D

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDS @ 82 for tap isn’t bad, at all.

At 4 hours to make 15 gallons, I am presuming you run 100GPD RODI. If you ran that at the 54F temp then you were getting good results. Especially if that was without a booster.

Do you run a “water saver” RODI?
What’s your current pressure coming into the house?
Do you run/have a booster?
Do you store the 15 gal or make it and use it immediately?
Do you have room for a mixing station and, if so, would you like to set one up?

Thermostatic/mixing valves are available with 1/4” in and out fittings. You’ll have to pay attention to the GPM though, as they vary. They can also get a little costly.

If I were in your shoes, they might be small because I wear a 14, I would set it up as follows. This is presuming you will mix and use immediately.

Cistern - whole house UV - washing machine lines - mixing valve - booster - RODI - output

There are other recommendations to be considered but not without knowing answers to the questions above.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Have you thought about rain catchment?
Checkout Life uncontained; They harvest rainwater for drinking - may pay for itself in a few seasons and you'll be able to roll-up a reefing upgrade into a quality of life upgrade!

Subliminal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20230124_172703.jpg
Where did you move? Indian?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checkout Life uncontained; They harvest rainwater for drinking - may pay for itself in a few seasons and you'll be able to roll-up a reefing upgrade into a quality of life upgrade!

Wouldn’t be a bad idea if he didn’t live in the middle of nowhere Alaska where the summers are very short and the winters are very long (and cooooold)!

OP
OP
907_Reefer

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDS @ 82 for tap isn’t bad, at all.

At 4 hours to make 15 gallons, I am presuming you run 100GPD RODI. If you ran that at the 54F temp then you were getting good results. Especially if that was without a booster.

Do you run a “water saver” RODI?
What’s your current pressure coming into the house?
Do you run/have a booster?
Do you store the 15 gal or make it and use it immediately?
Do you have room for a mixing station and, if so, would you like to set one up?

Thermostatic/mixing valves are available with 1/4” in and out fittings. You’ll have to pay attention to the GPM though, as they vary. They can also get a little costly.

If I were in your shoes, they might be small because I wear a 14, I would set it up as follows. This is presuming you will mix and use immediately.

Cistern - whole house UV - washing machine lines - mixing valve - booster - RODI - output

There are other recommendations to be considered but not without knowing answers to the questions above.

100 GPD, 4-stage RODI, yep! Not a "water saver". I make RO in batches, 20-30 gal typically, store for use over the next few weeks/months. I have 2-16 gal RODI water containers next to the tank, one runs the ATO and the other for storage/topping off the other/water changes, plus a handful of 7 gal containers for extra stored in the basement which I will (for now) haul up 1 level to the tank as needed. For mixing SW, I plan to continue just mixing 5 gal at a time on water change days for immediate use. A single 5 gal bucket at a time works perfect for ~15% WC in this little 55g, I drop 5 gal RODI, salt, pump and heater in and give it an hour or so.

RODI (at old house, currently uninstalled):

20220413_083050-jpg.2633078

Thermostatic valve is definitely interesting! I saw a post here claiming that 77 degree water can give something like a 75% increase in efficiency (I have some more recon to do before officializing those #s).. In this case, the valve would pay for itself fairly quickly, assuming minimal propane used for the on-demand heater to mix.

Water at this house is pressurized from the cisterns by a DAB Esybox, capable of 8 bar / 116 psi.

20221008_100625.jpg

And yea, 14 is bigger than my shoes. I use a 12 lb steel maul for splitting our firewood though if that counts for anything related :D

Yes! This will be our first spring at the house, and that is totally on my radar. Basement is already setup with 3 separate 2500g cisterns, so it would not be a big project to plumb our gutters into at least one of the tanks! My goal is to get the entire-house UV setup shortly here, then visit water catchment in the spring.

Gawd I would love to turn these into, 1 potable house water, 1 RODI, 1 SW mix - plumb to 1000 gal aquarium :grinning-squinting-face:. Funny not funny. "1000g Rainwater-Fed Aquarium", could be my next build thread..............................

20221008_100616.jpg

Where did you move? Indian?

We moved in-state, here in Alaska.

Wouldn’t be a bad idea if he didn’t live in the middle of nowhere Alaska where the summers are very short and the winters are very long (and cooooold)!

Haha, we are about 5 hours south of Anchorage, we call this "tropical Alaska" :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:. This area has snow October through April typically, so there are 5-6 months of catchment potential plus melt during the winter as it fluctuates above freezing regularly in the colder months.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back