My 1g Pico Reef Tank Build

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started to cycle this tank around last year late November 2023! I got Carib sea rock and instant ocean salt mix. I got my first two corals in mid January 2024, which was a GSP and couldn’t remember the type of zoanthid!

Water parameters:
Salinity- 1.025
Alk- 8-9dkh
Nitrate- 0
Nitrite- 0
Calcium- 450
Mag- ?
Phos- ?
IMG_8297.jpeg

OP
OP
jpshoemaker46

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple days ago I added a ricordia mushroom which is by far one of the coolest coral I’ve seen! Can’t wait to upgrade to a larger tank, but more importantly see these grow!

Also I have two snails and two hermit crabs who go nuts for everything!
IMG_8369.jpeg

OP
OP
jpshoemaker46

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love me some tiny tanks. What's your maintenance like? I see a lot of people doing small daily water changes on tiny systems like these.
Honestly I just top off! No water changes since I have no fish which is nice but also sucks because eventually want fish!

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby! It looks like you've got matters well in-hand, good luck! I started with a 5 gallon, a bit bigger than what you're working with here, but still small. Small is the way to start imo, much easier to get into and manage, but more difficult. If you can manage small, you can manage tall. Any plans to ever upgrade?

OP
OP
jpshoemaker46

jpshoemaker46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby! It looks like you've got matters well in-hand, good luck! I started with a 5 gallon, a bit bigger than what you're working with here, but still small. Small is the way to start imo, much easier to get into and manage, but more difficult. If you can manage small, you can manage tall. Any plans to ever upgrade?
I manage it pretty well I think! Everything is happy and that’s what matters! And of course I’ll upgrade just going to wait for a few months till I move back home to Phoenix and settle down!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back