90g Reef

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!

So i recently purchased an established 90g predator tank off of a guy where i live, and some of you kind folks have already seen me looking for help on other sections of the forums; those who have helped, I can't thank yall enough!!! I moved it from house to house, got it set up, got everyone in it, and now i need some ideas on what will and wont survive in the tank.

Right now, there is a Volitan Lionfish, a Long Spine Urchin, and a Carpet Anemone in it. I'd love to be able to put some corals in there as well as a couple more fish. I plan on also putting some hermit crabs and snails in there just to have some movement and a little clean up crew, but, i'd also like some color!!

OP
OP
Mario0240

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f78b21201ca71c4cbd606773cd39ae8f.jpg
dadd25921dd6ea0e47bd227e9e00a1d2.jpg
0b855a3ade44e32894180b2a1c2ef7d2.jpg
cdb1ddacd1c991e8db0f9ee87941db6d.jpg
b4256231353f0de5cee6d53949826cef.jpg

So the first pics are my critters.. they’re pretty cool. Honesty I wanted to get rid of the Lionfish at first, but in hindsight, I love him!

The last picture is what I just did to it. I fee like it opens up the tank and gives it a bigger feel. Plus Ralph (the Lionfish) has more room to swim and enjoy it.

OP
OP
Mario0240

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after scouring the internet and bugging some folks in here, I think my plan of attack may be as follows:

Get a good little CUC together to help with algae and like I mentioned before, add movement and entertainment to the tank. Then, if my lionfish can survive this bout of bloat, look into a snowflake eel, and maybe a tang of some sort. My wife is in love with the yellow tangs, which would add a huge burst of color to the tank. I like them too because they’re like lemons that swim and eat algae. I feel like anymore fish than that in this tank, again granting the lionfish pulls through this bout of bloat, would be about all I could fit in there.

Now, if my poor lion doesn’t pull through, which I really hope he does, I’m converting to a full on reef tank. I’ll probably take some time to not only rehome my carpet anemone, but also make sure I get my water in check and ready to support coral, both soft and LPS. I’m a glutton for punishment and look for a good challenge. Heck, keeping this poor lion on his feet is proving to be a bit challenging for some reason. But that’s on another thread...

OP
OP
Mario0240

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What. A. Day....

I thought the lion was pulling through but I fear it may be worse than initially thought. We had a friend visiting us and I was showing her the tank and showed her how bloated ralphie had become after feeding. As she was leaving, she noticed that he wasn’t nearly as bloated and I got to looking at him and noticed he was lopsided. One side of him was way more bloated than the other. I didn’t think much of it and just chalked it up to luck. Well, some time passed and I noticed he was puking all of the silver side up that I had fed him!! He was looking pitiful! Now I’m worried he’s worse off. Then to top it all off, my urchin kamikazed himself into the carpet anemone!! Idk who’s gonna win the battle but everyone in this tank seems to not wanna live anymore. And that sucks....

0f438d9cd69625f0ba90db3aa6cffec2.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lopsided belly on lion Not abnormal. He should be ok as they are diehards.
I would love that anemone if you want to ship it.
Looks like it will be a Nice tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mario0240

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lopsided belly on lion Not abnormal. He should be ik as they are diehards.
I would love that anemone if you want to ship it.
Looks like it will be a Nice tank

I’d be interested in shipping. I have no clue as to what I’m doing but I can figure something out.

Let’s see what he does over the next couple of days and go from there if that’s ok.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’d be interested in shipping. I have no clue as to what I’m doing but I can figure something out.

Let’s see what he does over the next couple of days and go from there if that’s ok.
I can walk you through shipping. owned a pet store for years and shipped a few times successfully.

OP
OP
Mario0240

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it looks like everyone is fine!! The carpet is still meandering through the tank, although right now he’s working himself into a corner. The urchin is working on all of the algae that’s growing on everything right now . The lionfish is still rockin but I think he may have gotten too close to one of the power heads and lost some skin off of one of his spines in his back. These critters have character!

Hopefully I’ll be adding a cleanup crew on Friday to help manage later algae issues. Anyone have any suggestions for a CUC that won’t get decimated in an instant by the lively bunch already in the tank?

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it looks like everyone is fine!! The carpet is still meandering through the tank, although right now he’s working himself into a corner. The urchin is working on all of the algae that’s growing on everything right now . The lionfish is still rockin but I think he may have gotten too close to one of the power heads and lost some skin off of one of his spines in his back. These critters have character!

Hopefully I’ll be adding a cleanup crew on Friday to help manage later algae issues. Anyone have any suggestions for a CUC that won’t get decimated in an instant by the lively bunch already in the tank?

Micro brittle stars, hermits, and snails I would say are ok. main thing with lions is no small fish. I sell Micro stars if you're interested in any

OP
OP
Mario0240

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micro brittle stars, hermits, and snails I would say are ok. main thing with lions is no small fish. I sell Micro stars if you're interested in any
I’ve got some random ones burrowed in my live rock, but if you have some pictures I may take you up on that. My LFS is pretty small and doesn’t stock a whole lot.

OP
OP
Mario0240

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I love trochus snails, they are some powerhouses for cleaning. Make sure you dont starve the urchin, he needs to be constantly eating, and if you see no algae, throw in some nori sheets near him.
I always wondered what to feed that guy! Right now, he’s got his work cut out for him...

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got some random ones burrowed in my live rock, but if you have some pictures I may take you up on that. My LFS is pretty small and doesn’t stock a whole lot.

heres some pics. I have a 10 pack of them that is pending, but I probably have some more in my breeding tank I can sell. They are $5/star. pm me if you'd like some. I also have a softy pack for a really good deal if you are looking to add some easy coral.

fullsizeoutput_256.jpeg
IMG_6047.JPG

Back