90g Shallow mixed reef - headlong into a new hobby!

EspressoPatronum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 6-8 months of research, saving up, and waiting.. everything moved at warp speed! I'd been planning to set up a 60g cube but knew I would want to upsize in a year or two.. aaand then a beautiful Reef Savvy tank was up for sale, with a Giesemann Matrixx 48" 8 bulb light and an MP40 included, that had only been running for 3 months at a deal I couldn't pass up... And so it begins - the reef tank I've been dreaming of!

20180507_113535.jpg

Here it is the day after I got it moved in - old rock here and a mess of cords that will be remedied when I replace the sump, re-plumb, and organize everything. Lots to do!

It has a bit of an aiptasia issue, so I've decided to start with new rock and cycle the tank while a buddy of mine keeps the small coral frags it came with (1 each acan, scoly, acro, staghorn) in his frag tank. Also came with 1 hammer and 1 torch euphyllia that I may or may not keep.

I debated a lot about what route to take with the sump - I know I want a refugium but I really need the under-tank space for a bit of storage (apartment life), so I decided to sacrifice a little on size for getting a cube, and picked the Trigger Systems Sapphire 20c which will fit perfectly. However, I'm planning for a bigger sump in the future when I have more living space so I'm trying to minimize those eventual upgrades by getting compatible equipment. I chose the Skimz Monzter SM 161, a Kessil H380 for fuge light, and am currently trying to decide on a new return pump (came with a blue line 55hd, but is very loud and external takes up too much space). Leaning towards the Reef Octopus VarioS 6 or the Synchra Silent 5.0 at this point.

The tank came with only a 1.5" drain and a 1" return, and I'm not going to get any more holes drilled.. So I will be starting with a Durso style, and if that's not enough to keep up with the flow I want/quiet enough then I'm thinking I will switch to Herbie with the smaller drain as siphon and 1.5 as emergency, and run the return over the back of the tank.

Please feel free to add constructive criticism, suggestions, or any other input - as someone new to the hobby I am very open to ideas! More pictures will be coming very soon!

Last edited:
OP
OP
EspressoPatronum

EspressoPatronum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan to me! Good luck with the build. Giving me hope to upgrade to a 90 in my apartment. What floor are you on?

Thanks a bunch! I'm on the 18th floor in a 35 story building, but here in Miami everything is built for hurricanes - concrete floors all around. Definitely worth talking to someone about it though - see if you can get plans of where the structural support is in your building. Also, since mine is a shallow 90 with 4'x2' footprint, the weight is distributed a little better. Worth considering with ample caution - good luck!!

TysTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a bunch! I'm on the 18th floor in a 35 story building, but here in Miami everything is built for hurricanes - concrete floors all around. Definitely worth talking to someone about it though - see if you can get plans of where the structural support is in your building. Also, since mine is a shallow 90 with 4'x2' footprint, the weight is distributed a little better. Worth considering with ample caution - good luck!!

That’s rad, glad you can have confidence in putting a good size tank in there. Unfortunately, I’m not working with concrete floors out here in Ca. I’m going to talk to the property manager, but I also don’t have a load bearing wall that would make a good spot for the tank. Might have to wait a year on it.

OP
OP
EspressoPatronum

EspressoPatronum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s rad, glad you can have confidence in putting a good size tank in there. Unfortunately, I’m not working with concrete floors out here in Ca. I’m going to talk to the property manager, but I also don’t have a load bearing wall that would make a good spot for the tank. Might have to wait a year on it.

Think of it this way - you don't have to worry about saving your reef tank during a hurricane! Generators and chillers and stress by the armload. That is a downer though, I hope the property manager can help you figure something out, maybe in the meantime a nano would be a fun way to exercise your impatience.. like my boss's new 10g because his large one at home isn't enough:
20180509_145808.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
EspressoPatronum

EspressoPatronum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also @TysTanks typically where your bathtub is will be rated to support more weight than other places, since tubs usually hold 50-100 gallons. Obviously not a guarantee, but food for thought if the other side of your bathroom wall is a convenient spot. :)

OP
OP
EspressoPatronum

EspressoPatronum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look forward to hearing how your Sapphire 20 C is going. Do you love it?
Just ordered mine to run the refugium and supplement volume in my 30G breeder frag tank.
Pardon my cord octopus in the picture, I'm in the middle of setting up all my wiring and plumbing but I love it so far! Very easy to set up with equipment and it's going to looks really nice with everything tucked out of the way. I have it set up with a Tunze Osimolator in the matching Sapphire ATO chamber, which is a perfect fit for the raised section on the edges of my stand. I'll upload another picture once I start running it :)

20180606_214209.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
EspressoPatronum

EspressoPatronum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

I still need to finish organizing cables but we're up and running, and cycling is almost complete! These pictures aren't totally current but I'm just getting to upload them.

A couple pics of the sump and under the stand with plumbing installed and controllers mounted:

20180709_234636.jpg

20180709_234538.jpg

And one pic of the DT with fresh new rock and the frags that came with the tank, with cloudy water (and gross glass!) on day one. Corals have opened up since this and look happy after I readjusted the MP40 and some placements. I ended up running the return over the back (go ahead and make fun if you want) but I couldn't find anyone I trust to drill holes in this thing.

20180709_234757.jpg

I have already added Chaeto to the fuge to outcompete some of the blooming in the DT and ordered some CuC to supplement my lonely 5 snails that came with the tank, they should be in this week. I am cycling with Dr. Tim's, a couple doses of BioSpira a buddy gave me, and two clowns (no pictures yet) I added recently as my ammonia levels are going down and staying there (~0.1) and checked daily in case an emergency water change is needed.

Tips, questions, and constructive critisicm welcome :D
Happy reefing!

Back