93 Cube for under a grand. It can be done... I think. UPDATED GRAND TOTAL! :)

HotSpringsReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dantimdad I'm picking up a 93 cube locally this weekend that sprung a leak and since has just been collecting dust. I plan to reseal it and piece together a second/third hand budget build over the next few months. I've only made it through the first page of your build thread so far but this is exactly what I need! I can't wait to skim through and watch your build grow.

HotSpringsReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question:

What would you all think about me making this into a clownfish/anemone tank?
Still making my way through this build thread. Absolutely stoked to see you thinking about doing a clown harem with this tank. I'd like this post 100 times if I could. I hope you went with it!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotSpringsReefer wins the perseverance award! Wow!

I didn't go harem because I decided to open a store and we are going to do a harem tank in the showroom and before that, my wife wanted a lot more colorful fish. ;)

If you need something for your cube, let me know. I will look through the stuff I have and help you out. I am having to clean out all the aquarium stuff from the house.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an update to the cube:

I am going to setup the 1/2" 29 frag tank I have next weekend (finally!) and move all the lps and sps to it and only do softies (mainly zoas/polyps) in the cube.

At that point, I will tone down the lighting on the tank and let it run. Small water changes every week, no skimmer, remove the carbon reactor and add a fuge light and chaeto.

I will also change up the flow some too. This is all in prep to make the home tank more manageable since I am spending and will be spending a ton of time at the store.

I am going to try and find a pulsing sinularia and some more colorful polyps soon.

All the fish will stay and I will move the engineer goby to the main tank and the clown pair from the holding tank to the frag tank.

HotSpringsReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotSpringsReefer wins the perseverance award! Wow!

I didn't go harem because I decided to open a store and we are going to do a harem tank in the showroom and before that, my wife wanted a lot more colorful fish. ;)

If you need something for your cube, let me know. I will look through the stuff I have and help you out. I am having to clean out all the aquarium stuff from the house.
Awesome, Love it! Everything you've done in this build is inspiring. Good to hear you're opening the store!! I haven't made it quite that far in the forum yet. Somewhere around page 60 currently. As far as needing anything for the cube, so far, I've just got a cube and a dream. I am brand new to reefing.. maybe 6 weeks in and I didn't get the opportunity to get my toes wet before I was pushed in the pool. I was donated an already established BioCube so it got carted home and set back up just the way it was when it was given to me. I am dying to start from scratch and build my own little piece of paradise.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, Love it! Everything you've done in this build is inspiring. Good to hear you're opening the store!! I haven't made it quite that far in the forum yet. Somewhere around page 60 currently. As far as needing anything for the cube, so far, I've just got a cube and a dream. I am brand new to reefing.. maybe 6 weeks in and I didn't get the opportunity to get my toes wet before I was pushed in the pool. I was donated an already established BioCube so it got carted home and set back up just the way it was when it was given to me. I am dying to start from scratch and build my own little piece of paradise.

OK. PM me a list and your address. I will go through all the stuff I have and start shipping to you. Seriously, I have to get rid of some stuff. Not promising what all will be in there, but I am positive I have stuff that will help.

HotSpringsReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. PM me a list and your address. I will go through all the stuff I have and start shipping to you. Seriously, I have to get rid of some stuff. Not promising what all will be in there, but I am positive I have stuff that will help.
No way? That is incredibly awesome of you! What a guy!!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way? That is incredibly awesome of you! What a guy!!

Just giving back. When I was staring the cube folks helped me. Most notably @JDowns and @Katrina71 and @Lowell Lemon and many more were there with encouragement when things went wrong. I have been doing this forever and still need help. This is definitely one of those "it takes a village" tanks.

HotSpringsReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We like to help where we can and there is a lot of reefing knowledge in amongst all sorts of other stuff!
Do you have a build journal?

Anyone seen my crayon? ;)
Such a welcoming community. I don't have a build journal. I'm trying to make it to the end of this forum before I do anything else! This is my starting point. Lol

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a welcoming community. I don't have a build journal. I'm trying to make it to the end of this forum before I do anything else! This is my starting point. Lol

I can't think of a better compliment. Thank you.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We like to help where we can and there is a lot of reefing knowledge in amongst all sorts of other stuff!
Do you have a build journal?

Anyone seen my crayon? ;)

I am in the process of blunting all your crayons. No sharp objects for you!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back