A 25 Gallon reward for success

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A second build thread, because well let’s face it... I'm addicted. After the ups and downs of my first tank, I definitely have the bug for multiple systems. That being said, I do not have the space (or budget) to go larger so I'm going to try my hand at a nano.

FTS 12/14/18
143CACAD-1F19-4447-88E5-206739E7D113.jpeg

I have been toying with this build for about 4 months now. I told myself I would reward myself for getting a new job with a tank for my home office. I decided after some hard decisions to go with the IM Lagoon 25. I was torn between this, a Nuvo 20, and the Cobalt Aquatics 26. Well my first interview for the new job was on May 4th and it went exceedingly well… I started to shop around at that time. By the time the second interview rolled around I went ahead and purchased the tank, I convinced myself that even if I didn’t get the job I would need some cheering up and a new tank would be the solution!

As luck would have it, I accepting the new job as of Friday 7/08. I have a lot of the build planned out at this time but nothing is wet and hardly anything is unpacked. I figured I can keep you all on the ropes this time by stringing out the updates and providing weekly progress shots. My vision for the tank is a lower maintenance tank than my 93 Cube, all zoa’s and mushrooms, a couple designer clowns and a few other unique fish that have not made their way into any of my other systems. With the lagoon tank being only 11 inches tall I can go with some lower power lights that wont need to penetrate too deep, as well as aiming for only zoa’s and shrooms I can keep the water a little dirtier.

That all being said this is how the build stands today:

• Display tank: IM 25 Lagoon 23.62” x19.68” (Display 23.62” x16.88”)
  • Glass or Acrylic: Low Iron Glass
  • Stand: DIY (not sure yet)
  • Sump: Built-in
  • Protein skimmer: None to start possibly Eshopps Nano or IceCap K2
  • Filtration: InTank media baskets with floss, chemi-pure blue, and marineland biomedia
  • Return pump: stock
  • Water circulation: IceCap 1K Gyre
  • Lighting (display): Kessil A80 x2
  • Auto top-off: Tunze 3155
  • Heating: Cobalt Neo-Therm 100W (or 2X 75W)
  • System control: Kessil Spectral Controller, Inkbird Heater controller(s)

equip.jpg

Some notes to call out, the biggest decision for me was the lighting. Toiling over what strength to go with, what is really necessary for my intended vision, and what do I already have on hand. I currently have a coral QT with the 2 A80’s already in my basement going unused. Using my local reef clubs PAR meter, and copious amounts of research I decided the A80’s will be powerful enough for a zoa/shroom garden. There are NUMEROUS accounts of an A80 being powerful enough in an IM 10 to grow SPS and even a small clam. The 25 is almost two of these slapped together. In all honesty the IM 20 is exactly two of these together, same dimensions. But I wanted the extra gallons and lower profile so I went with the 25. The 25 is an inch shorter, and about 6 inches wider than the 20 (2x10) so the A80’s will have to make up some additional spread but not have to penetrate as far. With allowing room along the edges for cleaning the glass I’m confident the coverage will fit my needs.

After fighting daily with my Apex ATK I have decided to try the ever loved Tunze 3155. I had originally planned on using this in my 93 build however the new and shiny ATK drew my eye. Shame on me. I am hoping the 3155 does not let me down and is easier to maintain.

Circulation was another sticking point for me, I felt a Vortech MP10 is the standard pump for any of the 20+ gallon Nuvo’s however I wanted to try something new and with my circulation needs I do not need to blast the flow. Gyre pumps have interested me from the start so I’m going to try it on a smaller scale before buying in for any larger future builds.

Heating was probably the easiest equipment choice for me, neotherms will be my choice for any tank small enough to be heated by one of them.

Rock and Sand will be Marco’s rocks and Fiji pink sand. I made a very detailed post regarding my rock here. I wanted to have the option of a sand goby / shrimp pair so I’m going with sand that’s a bit finer than the Hawaiian black in my first build.

Open items that still need to be decided (feel free to chime in with options) :

· Stand/Stand design

· Skimmer choices

· Livestock (nano friendly)

· Return pump/random flow returns

· Chemical filtration

Happy Reefing everyone! I’ll be updating this bad boy as we go and stuff gets unpacked.

Last edited:

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the new job! I haven't seen any reviews on the retail sites yet but if you're looking for a return pump with a little more functionality from what is included, the Innovative Marine MightyJet DC pumps look pretty promising. You could even go with the larger one for ~$10 more and tee a reactor off of the return since space is at a premium in those AIOs. Another option for the returns is to ditch the fan tips and go with the RFG nozzles and IM adapters from @Vivid Creative Aquatics https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/product-category/aquairum-specific/innovative-marine/

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the new job! I haven't seen any reviews on the retail sites yet but if you're looking for a return pump with a little more functionality from what is included, the Innovative Marine MightyJet DC pumps look pretty promising. You could even go with the larger one for ~$10 more and tee a reactor off of the return since space is at a premium in those AIOs. Another option for the returns is to ditch the fan tips and go with the RFG nozzles and IM adapters from @Vivid Creative Aquatics https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/product-category/aquairum-specific/innovative-marine/

Thank you! I've been toying with that exact idea! I've seen a handful of cool mods doing just this. Upsizing the return and running the RFG's, or also running two smaller returns (Sicce mini's) and having one flow through a reactor (Chaeto or just carbon/gfo)

I've been eyeing that mighty jet for a couple months but like you said not much information out there on it.

My main system has been running a bit too clean here lately, undetectable nitrates and phosphates which my corals do not like. If I feed heavier and let the carbon get a bit older, and switch out my socks every 5 days instead of 3 they color up more, puff up, and all around look happier. I'm thinking I will ease into my filtration for the nano, really trying to see how much filtration (chemical, biological, mechanical) is too much.

Appreciate the first comment on my new build!

drewslagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been wanting to try that ice cap skimmer to see how it does in comparison to my cadlights pls50 (first gen) if you decide to get it, please update on its efficiency !:)

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the support @pluikens, we do appreciate it.

@JBKReef looks like you have nice nice build planned. If you do diced to give the RFG nozzles a place in your flow solution, please do not hesitate to ask any question you may have.

Links to the IM compatible parts are in my signature below.

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the support @pluikens, we do appreciate it.

@JBKReef looks like you have nice nice build planned. If you do diced to give the RFG nozzles a place in your flow solution, please do not hesitate to ask any question you may have.

Links to the IM compatible parts are in my signature below.

Awesome thanks for reaching out! I'll have to say I'm not sure how effective they will be in conjunction with the IceCap Gyre... That being said I've been looking for a way to randomize my flow on my 93 gallon cube... this might just be the ticket. I'll reach out on your main page. Thanks!!!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on the scape for a lagoon? I'm aiming for a zoa carpet across the rock with some mushroom islands. It stands about 6 inches tall. Cardboard was roughly cut to the footprint. ScapeDown.jpg ScapeFront.jpg
Looks nice.

The only suggestion I would have is to maybe (from the top-down view) move the right end-rock, closest to the front glass away from the the others just a bit to form a third island. From the front it wont visually change the design much, but it may give you another opportunity to be able to isolate a more aggressively growing species from the main rock section along the back.

Plus it provides another narrow space for your fish to swim through. They seem the like that sort of thing :)

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably move the large structure off the back wall a little bit and use two varying sized rocks up front if they're not. Other than that it looks great!

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably move the large structure off the back wall a little bit and use two varying sized rocks up front if they're not. Other than that it looks great!

Thanks! That was the plan to be honest, just wanted to get the shapes down but once I built up it was easier to leave it where it was at.

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice.

The only suggestion I would have is to maybe (from the top-down view) move the right end-rock, closest to the front glass away from the the others just a bit to form a third island. From the front it wont visually change the design much, but it may give you another opportunity to be able to isolate a more aggressively growing species from the main rock section along the back.

Plus it provides another narrow space for your fish to swim through. They seem the like that sort of thing :)

Good call! That front right rock has nothing on it so it would be easy to straighten out the back a bit more as well as isolate that rock.

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would provide and update to how things are progressing. I've been taking it slow, for what I have learned thus far is patience is key. I have the rock from Marco's cycling in a brute.
Brute.jpg
Honestly now sure how anyone else does it but for my QT's, Frag tank, and first display tank beginning the cycle with BioSpira and Dr Tim's has been super simple, fast, and fairly cheap. I couldn't imagine starting a tank any other way.
DrTimBio.jpg
I've been piecing together my equipment and I'll make a post for all that in the coming week or so. Next step for the tank however is a leak test. Fingers crossed everyone.
IM25.jpg
Happy Reefing!

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you've got quite the flow in that Brute! lol I like to start tanks the same way. If I have time to wait the day or two I usually get One and Only from Amazon but the Ammonium Chloride product is a nice controlled way to elevate ammonia levels to track the cycling process so I use that as well.

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you've got quite the flow in that Brute! lol I like to start tanks the same way. If I have time to wait the day or two I usually get One and Only from Amazon but the Ammonium Chloride product is a nice controlled way to elevate ammonia levels to track the cycling process so I use that as well.

20 gallon brute with about 15 gallons of water in with my rock. Neotherm 75Watt and a good ole fashion MJ1200 for circulation. I like to keep it pointed up towards the surface though to keep it aerated.

I'll admit this early on I'm not measuring the amount of ammonia I put in, just about a cap full ever other week or so. 5 gallon water change (with dsiplay tank water) every 10 days or so.

Once I get the rock and sand into the actual lagoon then I will do the measured ammonia and consumption tests.

Thanks for checking it out!

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And we're leak testing! Actually we have been for about 48 hours... so its time to call it a success.

test.jpg

Also using the website that will not be named I found a decent stand build by a reefer named "rocketengineer" that I think I will tweak to fill my needs. They write up I found was created to use 2x4's however since this is going to be for only a 25 gallon sumpless tank I'm going to use 1x4's which will be plenty heavy.

Other than stand progress, and leak testing my LFS also got in my IceCap 1K powerhead so I"m chugging right along for the build.

Happy Reefing everyone!

Scrappy34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the IceCap 1K working for you? I'm getting ready to set up a 25 lagoon and I'm looking at this powerhead. Would it be able to fit on the back wall above or below the return nozzles?

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the IceCap 1K working for you? I'm getting ready to set up a 25 lagoon and I'm looking at this powerhead. Would it be able to fit on the back wall above or below the return nozzles?

I dont have the skimmer yet, still one of the purchases I'm waiting to bring into the build. On my 93 I'm dealing with having undetectable No3 and Po4. (Using Red Sea Pro kit and Hanna checker for No3, and just Hanna checker for Po4) With that being the case, and the overkill I went on the filtration for the larger build. I'm going to build up the filtration in the nano as the bio load grows. Starting out with just poly filter, and a media basket with ChemiPure Blue, and Marine Pure bio media. Adding in the skimmer and possible reactor once the bio load matures and has a higher demand.

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And I just realized you meant the Gyre not the IceCap skimmer... wow. Happy Monday.

I've only had it in the tank while I was leak testing everything. Its definitely going to be enough flow. There was some noise from the pump while it kind of broke in but after 24 hours it was silent up to 50% which was causing a serious wave in the tank. Regardless of where you mount this in the tank I think you would have enough flow.

That being said to mount it on the back wall you would need to have the external magnet submerged in the return chamber section and I do not believe the external magnet is reef safe like the internal magnet is.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A second build thread, because well let’s face it... I'm addicted. After the ups and downs of my first tank, I definitely have the bug for multiple systems. That being said, I do not have the space (or budget) to go larger so I'm going to try my hand at a nano.

I have been toying with this build for about 4 months now. I told myself I would reward myself for getting a new job with a tank for my home office. I decided after some hard decisions to go with the IM Lagoon 25. I was torn between this, a Nuvo 20, and the Cobalt Aquatics 26. Well my first interview for the new job was on May 4th and it went exceedingly well… I started to shop around at that time. By the time the second interview rolled around I went ahead and purchased the tank, I convinced myself that even if I didn’t get the job I would need some cheering up and a new tank would be the solution!

As luck would have it, I accepting the new job as of Friday 7/08. I have a lot of the build planned out at this time but nothing is wet and hardly anything is unpacked. I figured I can keep you all on the ropes this time by stringing out the updates and providing weekly progress shots. My vision for the tank is a lower maintenance tank than my 93 Cube, all zoa’s and mushrooms, a couple designer clowns and a few other unique fish that have not made their way into any of my other systems. With the lagoon tank being only 11 inches tall I can go with some lower power lights that wont need to penetrate too deep, as well as aiming for only zoa’s and shrooms I can keep the water a little dirtier.

That all being said this is how the build stands today:

• Display tank: IM 25 Lagoon 23.62” x19.68” (Display 23.62” x16.88”)
  • Glass or Acrylic: Low Iron Glass
  • Stand: DIY (not sure yet)
  • Sump: Built-in
  • Protein skimmer: None to start possibly Eshopps Nano or IceCap K2
  • Filtration: InTank media baskets with floss, chemi-pure blue, and marineland biomedia
  • Return pump: stock
  • Water circulation: IceCap 1K Gyre
  • Lighting (display): Kessil A80 x2
  • Auto top-off: Tunze 3155
  • Heating: Cobalt Neo-Therm 100W (or 2X 75W)
  • System control: Kessil Spectral Controller, Inkbird Heater controller(s)

equip.jpg

Some notes to call out, the biggest decision for me was the lighting. Toiling over what strength to go with, what is really necessary for my intended vision, and what do I already have on hand. I currently have a coral QT with the 2 A80’s already in my basement going unused. Using my local reef clubs PAR meter, and copious amounts of research I decided the A80’s will be powerful enough for a zoa/shroom garden. There are NUMEROUS accounts of an A80 being powerful enough in an IM 10 to grow SPS and even a small clam. The 25 is almost two of these slapped together. In all honesty the IM 20 is exactly two of these together, same dimensions. But I wanted the extra gallons and lower profile so I went with the 25. The 25 is an inch shorter, and about 6 inches wider than the 20 (2x10) so the A80’s will have to make up some additional spread but not have to penetrate as far. With allowing room along the edges for cleaning the glass I’m confident the coverage will fit my needs.

After fighting daily with my Apex ATK I have decided to try the ever loved Tunze 3155. I had originally planned on using this in my 93 build however the new and shiny ATK drew my eye. Shame on me. I am hoping the 3155 does not let me down and is easier to maintain.

Circulation was another sticking point for me, I felt a Vortech MP10 is the standard pump for any of the 20+ gallon Nuvo’s however I wanted to try something new and with my circulation needs I do not need to blast the flow. Gyre pumps have interested me from the start so I’m going to try it on a smaller scale before buying in for any larger future builds.

Heating was probably the easiest equipment choice for me, neotherms will be my choice for any tank small enough to be heated by one of them.

Rock and Sand will be Marco’s rocks and Fiji pink sand. I made a very detailed post regarding my rock here. I wanted to have the option of a sand goby / shrimp pair so I’m going with sand that’s a bit finer than the Hawaiian black in my first build.

Open items that still need to be decided (feel free to chime in with options) :

· Stand/Stand design

· Skimmer choices

· Livestock (nano friendly)

· Return pump/random flow returns

· Chemical filtration

Happy Reefing everyone! I’ll be updating this bad boy as we go and stuff gets unpacked.
I have a Tunze Nano ATO. I’ve had a few problems but Tunze corrected them promptly (they sent new pump!). I also have the gyre 1k. It’s the bomb!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back