a beautiful fish sunburst anthias

nissanrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got this fish, lfs didnt say anything except need like 50g for it. my bad for not doing research... i talked to a buddy, he said my tank prob wasnt ready for anthias because of the care lvlv. he i think its a he is diong good, but looks lonely.. its swimming but most of the time is chilling in between rocks. doesnt seem to eat, not in front of me
i read these fish do better in groups is that true
i want this fish to be happy its a beautiful fish

fenderguy1

Prop/Shipping Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is it in? Was it eating at the lfs? My advise........ whatever your lfs tells you post here and verify.

reefer357

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking fish but they are notorious hiders you will not see this fish to much.

OP
OP
N

nissanrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he is in a 72G tank... they said flakes.. but i also read it takes about 3 weeks for the fish to get comfy, very shy. i got some frozen cyc cubes, i tried live brine once also.
doesnt go in a frenzy like the damsels, green 2' chromis and a small damsel

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish was introduced into a tank with veracious eaters that is in no manner ready to be tossed into a situation like that. They're a shy fish, that can sometimes take a bit before accepting prepared foods. They also commonly come in with flukes, and sometimes other internal parasites (should've been QT'd for all the above reasons). They should not be kept in groups unless it's an extremely large tank, otherwise it will not end well :crossedlips:

Do you have an established QT set-up?

Generally speaking as mentioned by a previous poster they are always a pretty shy fish. I've had my current sunburst for nearly a year and he still is pretty standoff-ish when it comes to feeding time, mostly hangs out under an overhang or back by the overflow vertically (he thinks I can't see him ;)).

If you have an established QT, pull him, ween him onto prepared foods and observe closely. I would also do a FW dip and watch for flukes.

If not, feed often and try various foods. Personally mine will ONLY eat Mysis, P.E. (chopped) and Hikari small. I also feed Rod's Food O.N. cubes and NLS pellets, none of which he'll touch. It will take him quite a while before accepting pellets/flake if he ever will.

OP
OP
N

nissanrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only Qt is my refugium built from a cooler it has caulerpa and chaeto in it...
a little live rock nothing for hiding, but i dont think i can catch the fish from my main.
the chromis swims around i think is trying to bring the sunburst out.. it does come out here n ther, the other day it was spying on me.
im just worried about it not eating, he hasnt eaten in front of me in like a weak

hounddog01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always think that most fish will eat brine shrimp. not much nutrition but if you start to add things like selcon or other suplements then it would be better. I have been told brine shrimp is like potato chips to us LOL

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is out more than anything else, hes awesome. I got him to eat mysis it took nearly a week though. I was ecstatic the day he was swimming with a fat mysis shrimp hanging out of his mouth. Now he gobbles it up like a champ. I have much more aggresive eaters and he does fine. Also FYI the Sunburst anthias is a loner and will do ok solo it is not like other anthias that live in huge packs. Here is an article I found for you
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.advancedaquarist.com/images/july2002/fathead-3-webthumb.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2002/Fish.htm&usg=__ad2ABdKgoc2fI3sLUqwOCCNDPJE=&h=163&w=250&sz=20&hl=en&start=8&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=yHOP69gBQQjfkM:&tbnh=72&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfathead%2Banthias%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Fish Finder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for 2 years in my old reef. They need to be in a tank that has no aggressive fish or eaters. Got mine eating myssis shrimp after a few days. What other fish do you have in the tank??

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine betta, fu man chu lion (small), Lg Male Square back anthias, Mystery wrasse, Copper band butterfly, Mandarin, Blue throat trigger male, and of course the little sunburst who holds his own and eats among the pack

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is doing great in a tank with several large wrasses and a huge bully borbonius.

jiml

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a sunburst and he is out all the time. He is with a blue throat trigger, maroon clown, fairy wrasse, and a kole tang no problems at all.

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three, and they come out often when they get confortable in the tank. Pretty fish.

OP
OP
N

nissanrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive tried freezed dried cyclopeeze, cyclo cubes, flakes, pellets, just wont eat in front of me. i took a turkey baster n squirt it next to him too. he must be eating right its benn 3 -4 weeks since his new home. i put in 2 nemos came home one day and he was hanging out, seen me and went into hiding, still very shy, i wont see him in the opeing.. im gona try PE mysis see how that goes

OP
OP
N

nissanrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the anthias spit the mysyis out.. it was the closest to eating he went...
he has to be picking at something its been 3-4 weeks in the new home. looks healthy
but im afraid hes not gonna be leaning over to frozen, nd if he eats all the pods i have im in trouble. i really do like this fish

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back