A couple QT questions

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the middle of QTing a couple fish for my new DT coming in next week and had a couple questions. For my current QT, after I finish the 2 week observation period after treating with copper power, GC, and metro, do I need to break everything down and restart for the second batch of fish that will go through the same treatment?

In my current DT, I have a pair of clowns and a Midas Blenny. I wasn’t as cautious as I am now so I didn’t QT either of these. They have been in my current DT for close to a year without any issues or signs of disease. Will these be fine for the new DT or will I need to QT these too? I’d argue no from the observation standpoint and the time I have had them but wanted thoughts.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The general rule of thumb is to sterilize everything in between batches in the QT. I get the intent, but I've always questioned that logic since anything that's in that tank is still on the fish we just put in the DT. So if we didn't cure it in the QT with our rounds of preventative meds etc, what does it matter if we sterilize the QT after the fact?

My main problem is that I don't have enough biomedia to always cycle with established media, and I worry that dr. tims etc. might still come with an ammonia spike. So, I always just keep the same media. I typically drain it all - put in fresh saltwater, and run carbon/poly filters for a few days.

That's definitely not the by-the-book method though.

As far as the fish in the DT. They have whatever they have - and they're going to give whatever they have to the new fish regardless. The only way you can be 100% sure is to remove those fish from DT, let it run fallow for 74 days and then re-introduce the fish - who you have also put through a QT. Setting up a new tank is the perfect opportunity to start down the right path.

It it were me....and this is a bummer of a process, but you asked...

-Use your existing rock to cycle the new tank (adding in ammonia etc.)
-Move all fish to one tank to go through full QT process of your choice.
-Keep inverts in the other tank and let them sit for 74 days.
-Leave the new tank, and your old rock, fallow for the same 74 days.
-Move everything in
-Now you have a fish QT and an invert QT set up and you're ready to keep going.

That's the safest, surest way.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the middle of QTing a couple fish for my new DT coming in next week and had a couple questions. For my current QT, after I finish the 2 week observation period after treating with copper power, GC, and metro, do I need to break everything down and restart for the second batch of fish that will go through the same treatment?

In my current DT, I have a pair of clowns and a Midas Blenny. I wasn’t as cautious as I am now so I didn’t QT either of these. They have been in my current DT for close to a year without any issues or signs of disease. Will these be fine for the new DT or will I need to QT these too? I’d argue no from the observation standpoint and the time I have had them but wanted thoughts.
The Clowns and Blenny could be carriers of parasites and or worms. Just not showing symptoms. Tough call. But remember fish eat fish poop and along with it worms, etc. Clowns have been known to suddenly present Brook months later. You just never know.

As far as the tank needing to be broken down, the primary issue is the build up of med resistant bacteria in the tank. Usually takes a few months for that to happen though. The copper won't be a problem it doesn't degrade. But the prazi and metro in the GC would be the meds the bacteria could be adjusting to and building immunity.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 44.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 65 34.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 13.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back