A few Nem questions

the.introvertebrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my Waterbox 130.4 I've got a BTA two clowns (one which has hosted, the other which hasn't) and a bunch of different LPS.

Questions I have:

1. It's moved from under it's cave once before in the 3 months ive had it, it made its way to the otherside of the tank and latched onto my $160 massive trachy, i feared the worst, and thought it might have stung it but It was completely unscathed, I manually removed it. - Is it possible that the nem will move around the tank and NOT sting everything in its path? What are the watch outs for it's sting? Why would it sting vs not sting?

2. I really want to keep it if I can, because I love watching the clown host it, but I don't want it to kill everything else if It does make a move again. What are my options?

3. Will my 2nd clown eventually host the same nem as well? The one which HAS hosted is almost double in size, although I got them at the same time, the black/white clown has simply grown much faster than my regular 'nemo' clown.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will move until its happy. Never until your happy unfortunately. They always sting imo some corals just tolerate it better than others and the other clown may or may not go to it. If the other clown even lets it that is.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my Waterbox 130.4 I've got a BTA two clowns (one which has hosted, the other which hasn't) and a bunch of different LPS.

Questions I have:

1. It's moved from under it's cave once before in the 3 months ive had it, it made its way to the otherside of the tank and latched onto my $160 massive trachy, i feared the worst, and thought it might have stung it but It was completely unscathed, I manually removed it. - Is it possible that the nem will move around the tank and NOT sting everything in its path? What are the watch outs for it's sting? Why would it sting vs not sting?

2. I really want to keep it if I can, because I love watching the clown host it, but I don't want it to kill everything else if It does make a move again. What are my options?

3. Will my 2nd clown eventually host the same nem as well? The one which HAS hosted is almost double in size, although I got them at the same time, the black/white clown has simply grown much faster than my regular 'nemo' clown.
They will move until happy as mentioned before. One thing to try is to move the trachy a bit, stick a small rock where it was, and put the nem there. It may like the light and flow in that area. Just a thought, as I have done something similar before, and the nem is still on the rock 3 years later lol.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said above, it will go where it pleases, so be prepared to move corals if need be. As far as the other clown hosting it, I have 2 maroons purchased the same day, one about 3 times the size of the other. The other has never even come to that half of the tank, the larger one is a ferocious fighter of her territory and the smaller one is smart enough to stay away. This has been 9 months now. Once my BTA split into 3, one moved to his side of the tank, and he still ignored it. He's decided to host a powerhead instead.

OP
OP
the.introvertebrate

the.introvertebrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said above, it will go where it pleases, so be prepared to move corals if need be. As far as the other clown hosting it, I have 2 maroons purchased the same day, one about 3 times the size of the other. The other has never even come to that half of the tank, the larger one is a ferocious fighter of her territory and the smaller one is smart enough to stay away. This has been 9 months now. Once my BTA split into 3, one moved to his side of the tank, and he still ignored it. He's decided to host a powerhead instead.
What I am most concerned about is it moving while i'm at work - This morning I noticed it was starting to adjust its position near where it normally sits I am worried i'll come home today and find it's moved all over the place. Does it sting corals instantly as it passes or only once it settles in a new spot? I can deal with moving things around til it finds it's happy place but I can't do anything while im at work if it wants to move around and sting things as it goes.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it'll sting everything as it moves around. Tbh, I don't think it can turn the stinging cells on and off, pretty sure it's 100% all the time

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back