A Few Questions

sendhelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_2017-01-10-00-40-28_zpszmsqbeo9.png
Hello all!
If you don't want to read this all, I've summarized at the bottom.

As of a couple days ago, I have successfully started a major goal of mine- owning a saltwater tank. Growing up, we always had a big salt tank around, and I couldn't be more excited now that I've moved out to start my own!
My apartment complex only allows up to 10 gallons, so that's what I've got. I bought live aragonite sand and live rock from my lfs, as well as instant ocean salt mix and Bio-Spira, which claims to make the water immidiately fish safe, but I'm not sure I buy it. Has anyone used this? Does is work?
I'm currently using the 10 gallon filter that came with the tank as a means of churning the water, and using the sub heater. The tank has very bright white led lights. Is this safe for any corals or any kind of anemone? I was planning either a frogspawn coral or a bubble tip anemone.
For stocking, I'm planning two ocellaris clowns and some blue legged hermits along with a few snails for the CUC. My lfs told me that a couple other small fish would be fine in there, too, but I feel as though that would be overstocked. Any thoughts?
Lastly, I seem to have a bristle worm problem. There are probably a dozen out on the sand, moving around, and I presume there are more in the rock. They are only about half a centimeter long. Is this an issue? Should I try to remove some?

Conclusion:
Does Bio-Spira work?
Are bright white led lights safe for soft corals or anemones?
Is a 10 gallon filter (flow diffused using a rock directly under) okay for movement in the tank?
Is more than just a pair of ocellaris clowns too much for a 10?
Are lots of tiny bristle worms a problem?

Sorry for the long post, and thank you!

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_2017-01-10-00-40-28_zpszmsqbeo9.png
Hello all!
If you don't want to read this all, I've summarized at the bottom.

As of a couple days ago, I have successfully started a major goal of mine- owning a saltwater tank. Growing up, we always had a big salt tank around, and I couldn't be more excited now that I've moved out to start my own!
My apartment complex only allows up to 10 gallons, so that's what I've got. I bought live aragonite sand and live rock from my lfs, as well as instant ocean salt mix and Bio-Spira, which claims to make the water immidiately fish safe, but I'm not sure I buy it. Has anyone used this? Does is work?
I'm currently using the 10 gallon filter that came with the tank as a means of churning the water, and using the sub heater. The tank has very bright white led lights. Is this safe for any corals or any kind of anemone? I was planning either a frogspawn coral or a bubble tip anemone.
For stocking, I'm planning two ocellaris clowns and some blue legged hermits along with a few snails for the CUC. My lfs told me that a couple other small fish would be fine in there, too, but I feel as though that would be overstocked. Any thoughts?
Lastly, I seem to have a bristle worm problem. There are probably a dozen out on the sand, moving around, and I presume there are more in the rock. They are only about half a centimeter long. Is this an issue? Should I try to remove some?

Conclusion:
Does Bio-Spira work? I'm not sure.

Dr. Tim's one and only does work, I use it myself and it worked miracles

Are bright white led lights safe for soft corals or anemones?

It's good for algae, I'm not sure, but maybe softies, definitely not for anemones.

Is a 10 gallon filter (flow diffused using a rock directly under) okay for movement in the tank?

Personally I'd use a powerhead

Is more than just a pair of ocellaris clowns too much for a 10?

I've kept a pair of gnm maroons in a 5, not recommended though, but technically possible.

Are lots of tiny bristle worms a problem?

Not the best, I mean they're great for eating uneaten food and all, but too many and, someone correct me if I'm wrong, they start looking for other means of food. There are 3 options, you can either manually remove them, use a makeshift trap, or just leave them in there and see what happens

Sorry for the long post, and thank you! No problem!!

Last edited:

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, bio spira does work but i wouldn't put a fish in i would use a piece of dead shrimp or dose the tank with fish food or something to start the cycle, the bio spira will make the cycle go faster... Yes you can use LEDs it is perfectly safe for coral... bristle worms are beneficial detritivores although some people hate them... two cows can work, and i would get a small mini power head but your filter might be sufficient for now until you start stocking the tank...

OP
OP
S

sendhelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thank you so much! I may look into a pygmy wrasse to help with the bristle worms once it's time to stock. I wouldn't be concerned about just a few, but I counted a moment ago and the sand alone has more than 50.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can use LEDs it is perfectly safe for coral...

Not for sps ime, I don't think with any photosynthetic coral for that matter, although I could be wrong. They require blue light from what I heard

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a tank almost 4 weeks ago with live sand, dry rock and biospira and a jumbo shrimp. Added clowns at 10 days and some corals. All good. Tank going thru ugly stage. Good luck!

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for sps ime, I don't think with any photosynthetic coral for that matter, although I could be wrong. They require blue light from what I heard

you're right they do, i assumes her hood had some blue leds and whites running at the same time...

OP
OP
S

sendhelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no blue led lights or anything. Sadly, my hood doesn't allow that. Would an anemone do okay in there?

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no blue led lights or anything. Sadly, my hood doesn't allow that. Would an anemone do okay in there?

Aptasia anemones maybe, but that's about where ends. Anemones are photosynthetic and require proper lighting to keep the symbiotic algae alive and thrive enough to feed the anemone, otherwise it will bleach and you'll be left with a dying if not already dead anemone. All things considered, if you decide that you want to keep the more photosynthetic side of the ocean in your tank, then by all means, go out and buy a proper light fixture. Some great options are black box LEDs by mars aqua, they are very affordable, dependent, and best of all, they are great lights.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sendhelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for all the help, you guys! I don't know what I would do without this forum. Last question for the initial start up- would clown fish do okay under standard white LED lights alone? Now that the tank is cycled, I plan on adding a pair of ocellaris tomorrow.

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also keep a small goby, like a High fin or a clown goby. I have a pretty big anemone in mine also. I want to exchange it for a smaller one but it works.
The anemone will be particular about lighting but you have a ways to go for that. Both time for the tank to mature and you skills and experience to develop.

Biospira works. You are immediately ready for fish. Look on the "DR. Tim's one and only" site. He explains using nitrofying bacteria and the cycle.

Good luck.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for all the help, you guys! I don't know what I would do without this forum. Last question for the initial start up- would clown fish do okay under standard white LED lights alone? Now that the tank is cycled, I plan on adding a pair of ocellaris tomorrow.

Fish don't require the lighting coral does, they only need it to see and for us to see them.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back