A good cheap doser?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at investing in a doser don’t wanna get to carried away but what’s a nice doser for a beginner? Have had tank running for a while but getting into sps and water changes are not enough for me anymore.

Zaven D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with Reefwiser here. I personally don't think its worth risking all of your livestock etc on a cheap doser. I know from first hand experience that the GHL 2.1 dosers do a great job.

On the other hand I have heard both good and bad things about the Jebao dosers, however I would rather hold off on buying a doser and save up for the above option but thats my 2 cents.

Best of Luck!

Cheap and Good do not go together.
Somethings require a bit of expense to get a device that is reliable and dependable.
Get a GHL 2.1 SA doser and you be getting a good pump system.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been happy with my AquaMedic EVO-4. I don't think it can rightly be called cheap, but for the features it gives you the value is there. Very similar design to the Jebao DP-4 (which I've also used), but production values are a little higher and the separate control panel is convenient. It holds calibration pretty nicely as well - I've had it for a few years and haven't had to re-calibrate once.

I personally wouldn't recommend the Jebao, which is really your only option for a cheap dosing pump. It looks very similar to the AquaMedic and a few other dosing pumps, but it went out of calibration on me several times and it's honestly a pain having the controls on the body of the unit rather than in a separate interface.

Orraclekiller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally lost a 200 gallon tank full of sps due to a cheap doser. I would invest the money into a GHL 2.1SA and be done. The last thing you want to come home to is a tank full of dead coral and fish due to a cheap doser.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral box did somewhat ok in the few months I used it. Got a new setup going so I dont have much demand for it right now. Plus, I have a ca reactor sitting in a box waiting for me to get around to setting it up. Don't think I'll need that coral box anymore once that is up and running.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL doser2.1, D-D H2Ocean pro 4, Kamoer x1 or x4, all 3 are excellent and reliable, not cheap but I wouldn't risk £1000's of corals just to save £100. Although anything electrical can and does breakdown but you have to consider why is an item so cheap.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at investing in a doser don’t wanna get to carried away but what’s a nice doser for a beginner? Have had tank running for a while but getting into sps and water changes are not enough for me anymore.
One other thought. I’m going through the same problem of needing a doser but as a newbie I dont want to spend a lot. But then struggle with what if I need to replace it in a year because it’s not meeting my needs. Then it’s like I’ve wasted money the first time.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thought. I’m going through the same problem of needing a doser but as a newbie I dont want to spend a lot. But then struggle with what if I need to replace it in a year because it’s not meeting my needs. Then it’s like I’ve wasted money the first time.
There are certain things you can buy cheap and replace when they break down such as a skimmer or a pump for example, if they stop working then your corals wont perish and can be replaced, but for things like dosers which can malfunction and dose an entire container of cal, alk, mg, nopox, food into your tank then that will certainly kill your tank.
Buy quality for things that if they go wrong can kill your tank and buy cheap for things that if they go wrong will not kill your tank if you are on a budget.

kasso187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a cheap doser (coralbox wifi wf04). Absolute junk. It would not hold calibration due to air getting in the lines. I recently bought a GHL 2.1 SA and slave. They're not hooked up yet, but I've read nothing but great reviews for them.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose linking to Amazon for the Kamoer X1 was wrong??? Anyway great doser-personally Ive had issues with GHL which may be rare but it happened-
I had a ghl doser also and hated it could never get it hooked to my wifi. I didnt like that I had to hook it up to my computer. I ended up selling it and getting a calcium reactor. I use to x1s to dose trace elements.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back