OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the shout out @Pbh-reef, the phytoplankton is awesome and acts as a critical building block towards building a sustainable ecosystem.

I’m looking forward to seeing it’s impacts! For now I can definitely tell that the shrimp notices when I dose it.

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
74DCA962-2AEC-4348-B9E2-6360A303AD51.jpeg
B09836CA-4C0A-4861-B6EB-AC643933B45C.jpeg
Well the Goniopora is looking great these days, but I’m a little worried about my toadstool. I had moved it a week and a half ago to a slightly shaded place and now it’s stalk has bent in a totally new direction - does that mean it needs more light and I should move it again? You can see it’s bent shape in the picture above

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other news - I’m going to get an RODI water saver from BRS because I feel terrible every time I make 4 gallons of waste water for every gallon of tank water. I’ve been using the waste to water plants and do laundry, but still.

I’m also thinking of getting either a sicce .5 or 1.0 pump and either a spin stream or random flow generator from vivid creative aquatics. My goal is to get rid of the wave maker if possible, like @tehSAC has done in his 10 gallon IM. Any advice about which pump and which nozzle I should get would be appreciated!

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other news - I’m going to get an RODI water saver from BRS because I feel terrible every time I make 4 gallons of waste water for every gallon of tank water. I’ve been using the waste to water plants and do laundry, but still.

I’m also thinking of getting either a sicce .5 or 1.0 pump and either a spin stream or random flow generator from vivid creative aquatics. My goal is to get rid of the wave maker if possible, like @tehSAC has done in his 10 gallon IM. Any advice about which pump and which nozzle I should get would be appreciated!

I love my Sicce .5 and Spinstream combo. The only problem is I have a dead spot right under it. However a low light, low flow coral would thrive there. Just haven't found one I like to put there yet. ;)

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Sicce .5 and Spinstream combo. The only problem is I have a dead spot right under it. However a low light, low flow coral would thrive there. Just haven't found one I like to put there yet. ;)

Thanks so much - I think this combination is what I’ll do too, just wondering if a 1.0 would be a better option for me.
Do you think the .5 and spin stream is strong enough for the montipora, gsp and Goniopora? They’re the corals that seem to appreciate flow the most.

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much - I think this combination is what I’ll do too, just wondering if a 1.0 would be a better option for me.
Do you think the .5 and spin stream is strong enough for the montipora, gsp and Goniopora? They’re the corals that seem to appreciate flow the most.

I had a monti for awhile and it did well. Also my GSP did well with this combo. Never had a Goni, so I cannot answer that. As long as everything is placed in the right spots I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work.

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a monti for awhile and it did well. Also my GSP did well with this combo. Never had a Goni, so I cannot answer that. As long as everything is placed in the right spots I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work.

:thumbsup:

Beautiful! Thanks so much

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've read a lot of positive comments regarding the RFG nozzles. You also have IM's spinstreams as an option, but I've read that it can make an audible clicking noise in some instances.

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read a lot of positive comments regarding the RFG nozzles. You also have IM's spinstreams as an option, but I've read that it can make an audible clicking noise in some instances.

Correct. Mine did very quietly at first but after awhile, just like a skimmer, it will break in. A good slime coat acts like a lubricant.

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any idea how long the slime coat takes to build up? Are we talking a couple weeks, or a couple months? I'm guessing that means you likely wouldn't want to pop them off for a vinegar bath very often eh?

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea how long the slime coat takes to build up? Are we talking a couple weeks, or a couple months? I'm guessing that means you likely wouldn't want to pop them off for a vinegar bath very often eh?

Mine took a couple weeks if I remember correctly. To be honest I didn't pay much attention because my tank is in my living room and I have kids. So those noises were washed out.

As far as a vinegar bath. Never done it. When I see that the flow has reduced a bit, I pull it off and pull the pump. Scrub them both down in some old tank water, and put them back in. Flow increases and everything is A-OK.

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as a vinegar bath. Never done it. When I see that the flow has reduced a bit, I pull it off and pull the pump. Scrub them both down in some old tank water, and put them back in. Flow increases and everything is A-OK.

Good to know

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a big weekend for the good little tank (GLT?) and I can finally say what the big thing was from two weeks ago! A few days after we got the tank my husband signed up for a woodworking workshop to make a stand for it. We varnished the stand and let it dry out last week and this weekend we moved the tank off the floor and to its final (I hope) place. The stand is engraved with a little fish too.

IMG_2557.JPG

I was a bit worried about putting the tank where so much natural light could reach it, but it has been basically fine for the last 3 weeks. I've been sheltering it with the curtain when I leave for work in the morning.

IMG_5469.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While transferring the tank to its stand we re-did the aquascape and glued down the rocks and some corals. I love the new scape, which has more caves but also fewer shadowed areas. My husband moved the lepto toward the back of the tank to give the tank more depth and I moved the Acan off the sand, it seems to like its new home so far. Side note, ever since we've started grinding the pellets we've been feeding so that the cleaner shrimp isn't the only one to get food (the hermits and the nassarius snail need food too), I've noticed the Acan seems to extend its feeding tentacles when at feeding time, which is really cool. I'll post a FTS and side shot below. If things are fine next week we'll probably go get our first fish and some more snails for a CUC.
IMG_6565.JPG
IMG_4161.JPG

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really enjoying your thread and looking forward to seeing more of your awesome Nano:)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back