A good type of algae

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reef Fever
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
if this is what ultimately replace plant life, then our planet will actually look like those in the sci-fi futureistic movies.
 
i dont think the goal would be to replace plant life, its to aid in Co2 removal in highly metropolitan areas
 
One question, I just skimmed thought this article earlier today and it's a cool idea that I've seen a few posts on FB about, do they not actually give off CO2 when they are not actively up-taking CO2? I know this is the case in general photosynthesis and was curious about these algae lamps.
 
not sure i fully understand your question dave3112...typically the only "byproducts" of photosynthesis is oxygen and glucose
Schematicphotosynthesis.jpg
 
Yes when photosynthesis is active. Example when the sun shines on a plant it absorbs or up takes CO2 and converts it to oxygen and glucose. When the sun goes down and there is no "light" to cause active photosynthesis then the plant respires CO2. Or am I mistaken? I admit it has been a very long time since I studied this.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
oh gotcha, yes...through what is called respiration they do expel some Co2 but it is minimal compared to the amount of O2 they produce during photosynthesis
 
Whew. I thought I had it mixed up :) I wasn't saying that there wasn't a net benefit of O to CO2 I was just curious.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new