A lesson to be had I hope....

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently posted about a green chromis with what turned out to be Uronema marinum. Treatments were suggested and I began cuprimine the same night. Not having a copper test kit put me in a bind. I was using small plastic containers at the time for TTM and the fish( 2 chromis and a clown) had just been added to the third stage. I used prozipro in the second stage. Starting the 3rd. Stage the chromis had a spot and so began the steady demise of the fish. As stated I added copper but thought maybe too much so added some tank water from my qt tank which has never had a fish in it yet. The following morning the infected chromis was still alive early but having to go out of town on business I couldn't check on him till mid afternoon. He was dead. Clown and other chromis looked fine but a little sluggish. No food was offered. I decided to abandon the TTM and just set up a ten for a quarantine tank for these guys. Set up a tank and used a hob filter that I purchased just for this tank. I also bought three Cardinal fish and a fire fish thinking I would add the fish all together to the ten and treat everything with copper instead of TTM.acclimated the new fish for 4 hours for salinity once they had been floated for temp. Used air stone in container while acclimation proceeded. At the same time I checked the temp and salinity of the ten and TTM container and they matched. Added most of the water from TTM to ten so copper was diluted and added all fish. Chromis started to gasp at once as did the clown. The other fish just hid. Lights out and good night. Got up early for church and chromis was on its side but alive. All other fish looked ok. Got home from church to find 2 cardinals stuck to the intake of the power filter. Took them off and figured they would not survive. Shut off power filter. still had two air stones running hard . Got home tonight from evening service and all fish are dead. I will clean out the tank in the morning. Gonna be a while before starting more fish. Thoughts anyone ? I was really stunned to find them all dead. I thought the fire fish and clown looked health. The guys who got sucked into the syphon were expected. I will also replace the end of the filter and go with something different. I just want to learn from this if possible.
Thank you ,
Jim

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema is transmissible and as you found out, a quick killer. It can also infect a fish internally so visible physical symptoms of the disease may never show.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema is transmissible and as you found out, a quick killer. It can also infect a fish internally so visible physical symptoms of the disease may never show.

^^True. Also adding that many fish to an uncycled QT can spell ammonia problems. Could have been either of these things, or both. I'm sorry for the QT troubles. :(

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the hob filter won't tackle the ammonia? These were small fish.

What kind of bio-media (sponge, ceramic noodles) were you using in the HOB, and was it seeded with nitrifying bacteria before dosing copper?

OP
OP
JMM744

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of bio-media (sponge, ceramic noodles) were you using in the HOB, and was it seeded with nitrifying bacteria before dosing copper?
Sorry, long day at work. The copper was applied to the TTM tank. It had only air bubbler in it. The 10 that was set up for quarantine had no bacterial filtration, just a hob with carbon and two air bubblers. The fish were only in the 10 for 12 hours tops and all dead in that time frame.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back